Screw the bees, we want our money right now

Screw the bees, we want our money right now

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Neonicotinoid insecticides were banned in Europe because there was quite solid evidence that they kill bees, which would of course threaten the food supply...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/busin ... wanted=all

Well guess what, Monsanto want's none of this.

Companies that produce neonicotinoid-based pesticides, including the German giant Bayer CropScience and Syngenta, the big Swiss biochemical company, have lobbied strenuously against the moratorium. Monsanto incorporates the chemical into some of the seeds it produces; in the United States, neonicotinoids are heavily used on the country’s huge corn crop.

They even have a propaganda campaign about it:

http://www.neonicreport.com/

TL;DR these people want their money, right now. Even if it means everyone - EVERYONE, every single person on this planet - dies of starvation at some point down the road.

We are so fucked. :mad:
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Screw the bees, we want our money right now

Postby Rommie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 pm

I don't think it's so unusual for a company to put their money in front of long-term issues: these people lobbied against child labor laws back in the day for example. What's unusual is that people are listening to them.

I will point out though that there is a lot of money in agriculture that isn't Mositano (, so thanks to the money vs money angle I think there's a good chance it won't be ignored.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Screw the bees, we want our money right now

Postby Swift » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Rommie wrote:I don't think it's so unusual for a company to put their money in front of long-term issues: these people lobbied against child labor laws back in the day for example. What's unusual is that people are listening to them.

I don't think the second part is all that unusual either. :?
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Return to Hanging Around