World's Oldest Man Dies Again

World's Oldest Man Dies Again

Postby Rommie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

on the bright side, once you qualify for the position you have it for life!

Two parts get to me:

1) The fact that this guy was born in the 1800s- makes me wonder how much longer we'll have people from then? Statistically, not past 2020 I imagine.

2) The part where he has over a dozen great-great grandchildren sounds great until you realize he's probably outlived one or two of his kids, and while I think one of the biggest wishes people have is to see how their progeny will turn out that's a pretty big price to pay I s'pose.

Yeah I know you see these stories once or twice a year, but my grandmother (last grandparent) isn't doing well so I'm getting a little contemplative now about it. She still lives alone at 89 but took her first tumble a few months ago... and just had another one like two weeks ago where she fractured her arm, which is awful timing as all our cousins are coming over for my sister's wedding in a few weeks time (they'll be staggered, but still she'll be alone for a week). So family wants to put her in an "old folks pension" for said week and you can imagine how well that is going over...

She did meet her first great-grandchild about two years ago now though, and will meet a second if she stays well through the fall. And I think that's a good milestone in life to reach.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: World's Oldest Man Dies Again

Postby Rommie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Crap crap crap crap

Just got a text from bro- apparently sometime last night my grandmother fell and my uncle didn't discover her until today when he went to take her lunch and they called out the ambulance. Docs working on diagnosis now, though doesn't seem to be a stroke as she was talking...

Mom's flying over in a few days, I offered to go too but they've told me no need.

I'm just so, so sad to think of her on the ground for so many hours...
Rommie

Postby Swift » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm so sorry Rommie. I hope she isn't badly hurt.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks... she has internal bleeding as a tumor tore something though. This is really not going well, but of course they've all told me not to go over since she's got family there and mom is flying over tonight.

I mean I get that they don't want me to disrupt my life etc but I want to do something... besides get drunk of course...
Rommie

Postby Swift » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm

{{{hug}}}

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby OldCM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Rommie wrote:Thanks... she has internal bleeding as a tumor tore something though. This is really not going well, but of course they've all told me not to go over since she's got family there and mom is flying over tonight.

I mean I get that they don't want me to disrupt my life etc but I want to do something... besides get drunk of course...

I understand your concern. My Dad died at 90 and my Mom at 91. You never get over that kind of loss. Thankfully, we can have the memories.
OldCM

Postby code monkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:41 am

rommie, i'm very sorry to hear your sad news.

cm
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby code monkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 am

OldCM wrote:You never get over that kind of loss. Thankfully, we can have the memories.

no, you don't get over the loss. at best you get on.

cm
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks all.

I fucking hate waiting btw. Normally you'd say no news is good news, but I know my family and regardless of what's up they're waiting until my mom arrives there so she can call me. Which isn't gonna happen until late afternoon, between the plane then train and all...

Didn't sleep well last night of course, and I get to TA this afternoon. Incidentally I think the biggest issue with my line of work is research gets put on hold when I don't get enough sleep, as focus just doesn't really happen (though the adviser and prof I TA for were advised last night, so I guess I'm off the hook).

I also keep checking Facebook because in this modern world I don't put it past someone insensitively posting news before making sure everyone hears otherwise.

Blargh...
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 pm

I know this is rough Rommie. I'm sorry you're having to go through it. It's odd that we all have to go through this at some time or another but that never makes it easier.

I know how you feel about your family. Twice now, we've gotten news that my father-in-law was out of the hospital after almost having died, but we're never told when he goes in the hospital. :roll:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rommie. I know how helpless you can feel when overseas and there is a tragedy in the family. My uncle passed away when I was on a trip to Germany. It was only two weeks long, and I didn't have the option to go home for the ceremony, and it was a rough ~5 days until the trip was over.

My hope is that the next time you go home it is to spend some quality time with your recovering grandmother.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 pm

She's out of the woods! My grandma is a tough old bird. :wave:

Basically mom says her color is back and she has ulcers they need to take care of w meds, but after a few days of hospital they'll find somewhere for her to go (I think her days alone at home are done). But wow, that sound you hear is that of a collective sigh of relief from the family on two sides of the Atlantic- I don't think anyone wasn't expecting the worst. So good to be proven wrong!
Rommie

Postby Hap » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:20 pm

That's awesome news! :cheers:
Hap

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 pm

As they say, you can't keep a good grandma down.

Swift

Postby Loresinger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 am

:cheer:
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I totally missed out on developments in this thread.
Glad she's ok. :D
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:42 am

Yeah.... I kept reading the title and wondering why people kept posting on it. :oops:

Glad to hear that things are ok with grandma.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby OldCM » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Rommie wrote:She's out of the woods! My grandma is a tough old bird. :wave:

Basically mom says her color is back and she has ulcers they need to take care of w meds, but after a few days of hospital they'll find somewhere for her to go (I think her days alone at home are done). But wow, that sound you hear is that of a collective sigh of relief from the family on two sides of the Atlantic- I don't think anyone wasn't expecting the worst. So good to be proven wrong!

All very good news, Rommie. I am very happy for you!
OldCM

Return to Hanging Around