RIP Jean Beliveau

RIP Jean Beliveau

Postby Parrothead » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:37 pm

One of the true greats of the game, passed away on Sunday. Considered to be hockey royalty. Played 18 seasons with the Habs, captain for 10 years. His name is on the Stanley Cup 17 times, 10 as a player and 7 in Montreal management. Awarded the Hart Trophy twice, Art Ross and Conn Smythe awards once each. A gentleman on and off the ice, Mr Beliveau will be missed. Montreal does a great job honouring their greats, I expect the pre-game ceremony at their next home game, will be no different.

After he retired in 1971, Montreal drafted a young guy named Lafleur to fill the void. I read in one article, Dick Duff, mentioned the 4-4-4 of the NHL: Jean Beliveau, Bobby Orr and Red Kelly.

He is the latest in losses to the NHL, Pat Quinn and Murray Oliver passed away a couple of weeks ago. Gordie Howe, "Mr Hockey" himself, has been battling health issues.

ETA: I think I'll rewatch Game 6 of the '67 playoffs, Toronto vs Montreal.
Parrothead

Re: RIP Jean Beliveau

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:20 pm

I heard about his passing earlier this week, as well as Howe's health concerns. I wanted to post in your hockey thread but just never got around to it when I had the info at hand. I remember seeing Gordie center a line with his two son's as wingers. I was young but I think I'm remembering right.

Skimming an article about Beliveau, it said he initially didn't think he was a fit with the Canadians. :!:
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around