11 months and counting....

11 months and counting....

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm

Today I rode my bike to work, which makes it at least one day in each of the last 11 months that I've ridden. I strive toward my mother's goal of riding at least once every month!

In Minnesota this is particularly a challenge for casual riders. Not because of the cold; one can dress properly for that. This morning it was 21F and I did not feel cold. Instead it's due to the condition of the roads. Most years, the snow comes and stays. The roads on my route never gets completely cleared, so the bike lanes are covered in snow pack. But this year we've had much less snow than average, and a couple of thaws have cleared the roads. It's a blessing and a curse. There is not enough snow to X-country ski, but at least I can ride!

I've found that I just adore exercising outside. Biking, skiing, skating--I just love the fresh air. When it's not possible to go out, I do aerobic/toning workouts from a dvd and I just hate it! My next step is to start running again. That exercise I've never truly enjoyed, but my thought is that it is one I can do year round outside. Limited in the winter to the weekends, though, because I would not feel safe in the dark. But it's better than nothing!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: 11 months and counting....

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:26 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I've found that I just adore exercising outside. Biking, skiing, skating--I just love the fresh air.
I do too. I just don't understand people who come into the gym, day after gorgeous day, and run in place on a treadmill staring at a small screen. :?

Congrats, and hope you can keep the streak alive.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:05 pm

Same here. Luckily these days I have an hour or so of exercise built in every day, cycling to work for my commute. If the weather's bad I don't do it and I feel so pissed and unhealthy then.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby code monkey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:04 pm

i'm shivering just thinking about it. for me it's the town pool every morning during the week and sessions at the gym on weekends.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Return to Hanging Around