Bullying

Bullying

Postby grapes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:31 am

A fireside analysis of the Rousie-Holm mixed martial arts fight last weekend:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/uf ... /75900678/

And then she lost.  Badly

Suddenly, all the bluster and taunts weren't quite as appealing. Instead of a strong woman standing up for herself, Rousey's behavior is now seen as no better than that of a bully.

So, "appealing" behavior is transformed by a single loss into "bullying"? You can only be a bully if you're a loser. Discuss.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Re: Bullying

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm going to say the author of that article is just trying to get published. If what it written in that article is true, Rousey was a bully long before she lost. I really don't like the implication that if she kept winning, her behavior would be considered acceptable.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Sports reporters, slightly better than demons, a touch below used car salesmen.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:08 pm

I don't know anything about Roussie, and don't follow MMA (duh?). I'm guessing this is along the lines of Muhammad Ali's "God is on my side" stuff, i.e. par for the course for athletes.

But this

You can only be a bully if you're a loser.

sounds an awful lot like "history is written by the victors," which is a real thing, and also a serious problem.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 pm

A couple of thoughts (first I have not read the article): I do not follow MMA at all but it was hard to avoid all the Rousey coverage in the last year. It seemed to me maybe the promoters of the sport liked to get the women taunting and verbally harassing each other. Perhaps a bit more than on the men's side. Maybe there was a perception that they wouldn't get enough coverage from just the "sport" of it. A second thought occurred to me when I read the OP: Our penchant for building up our heroes then tearing them down. Now often time our "heroes" help themselves handily in getting torn down. Think Lance Armstrong or Bill Cosby. But with all the recent Rousey coverage, I figured it was just a matter of time before there was some backlash. What better time than right after she's handily defeated.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around