Merry Christmas!

Re: Merry Christmas!

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Well, we'll just have to come back to visit so we can try some! I'm also an IPA fan. Been so since before it got uber popular here and elsewhere. Mrs. T, not so much. I have her try whatever I'm drinking just to get a good look at her "bitter beer face." It's actually hilarious. But I've turned her on to a couple IPA's and a Double IPA that was very balanced.

I'm into Scotch only because Neil Peart mentioned it in the first book I read of his and then subsequent books. :oops: He drinks The Macallan. I had no idea what it was so I got a bottle. Used to toast every TKD test after I passed. I didn't really groove on it, but I could tell why some people really like it. I had nice conversations with Russ about Scotch and Brandy. I tried other varieties of Macallan (read: older and more expensive) and liked them better. Have tried other brands and have liked some.

Just last Saturday, two of my buddies along with our wives went to an old Chinese restaurant that has been a family establishment in the suburb where I grew up forever. He's got the best Scotch selection in Columbus. After dinner, we sat at the bar and chatted with him, then he made us up each a flight of three shots. Of the nine, only one of us had ever heard of any of the brands. I absolutely loved all mine. He wrote down what each was on little note pads. One buddy was keeping notes of the experience. We'll do that again, but not too often. While I'm gaining an appreciation and a taste for it, my flight was more expensive than the earlier dinner for two with drinks. :o

(We better be careful, this should migrate into Bar forum.) :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:30 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I wish I could send you some of MrPi's home brews. He's become very good. He usually makes kinds I don't like (IPA, english bitters) so when I taste them I can appreciate that quality, but I don't usually drink whole bottles.

This year I found the best ever present for him. For anniversary (Nov.3)/birthday (Dec.12)/Christmas I got him a whiskey advent calendar. Boy, did he love it. 24 whiskeys, mostly single malt but some blended. Most he had never heard of. The last one was a 50 year scotch. He rated them all 1-10, and the latter got the only 10. Most were 7-8. A couple were 5s, and anything under that he'd consider undrinkable. I tried almost all of them. I don't like most (can you tell we have really different tastes?), the really "pure" ones smell and taste link paint thinner to me. The first one was my favorite. I'd drink an entire shot. (His were all drams.) He gave that a 9. The other one I liked was scorching hot, unlike any whiskey I've ever tried! It tasted like it was made with habeneros. flame:

I think I'll get this for him every year. I know he so greatly looked forward to his whiskey every night, much more than a kid would look forward to chocolate. He got so accustomed to his nightly dose that quite a few times he's resorted to drinking some of our Jack we keep on hand for when my dad visits!

Whiskey advent. That's sound pretty cool, especially with a 50 yo scotch. Well played.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Parrothead » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:56 pm

I received a bunch of craft brews for b-day and Christmas. I had the St. Bernardus (750ml bottle, 10% abv) on New Year's Eve. The historic Scottish ales were amongst the beers, a bottle of Samichlaus (14% abv, brewed once a year, Dec. 6, fermented for 10 months), and a mix of other local and international craft beers. Cheers!
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Parrothead wrote:I received a bunch of craft brews for b-day and Christmas. I had the St. Bernardus (750ml bottle, 10% abv) on New Year's Eve. The historic Scottish ales were amongst the beers, a bottle of Samichlaus (14% abv, brewed once a year, Dec. 6, fermented for 10 months), and a mix of other local and international craft beers. Cheers!

Is the Samichlaus good? Not that I can indulge in 14 percenters any more.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:57 pm

You know you don't have to shotgun it.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 pm

geonuc wrote:
Parrothead wrote:I received a bunch of craft brews for b-day and Christmas. I had the St. Bernardus (750ml bottle, 10% abv) on New Year's Eve. The historic Scottish ales were amongst the beers, a bottle of Samichlaus (14% abv, brewed once a year, Dec. 6, fermented for 10 months), and a mix of other local and international craft beers. Cheers!

Is the Samichlaus good? Not that I can indulge in 14 percenters any more.

I'll let you know once I've had it. It was available here for the first time in 8 yrs. I always worry about high alcohol content beers being too sweet. Supposedly it's "cold lagered" removing much of the sugar, from the end product. That will be good, if so.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:18 pm

I had the Samichlaus it was good, bit of a choclatey finish and not overly sweet. I had a "Huury Hard" IPA while watching curling.
Parrothead

Previous

Return to Hanging Around