Backing a Trailer

Backing a Trailer

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:39 pm

How hard is it to learn to back up a trailer? That's not something I've ever really done and I anticipate sucking at it. I'm a pretty adept driver who can jump into all sorts of unfamiliar vehicles and drive them at least enough to get the job done but backing a trailer is something else.

We're considering buying a small RV trailer and parking it in a fairly tight spot accessed from the alley behind the house. To park it would require executing a 90 degree turn with not a lot of room to maneuver. I can see myself failing repeatedly until I either gave up and parked the thing on the street (which I think may be illegal here) or getting the thing hopelessly stuck blocking the alley.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Backing a Trailer

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

If only FZ were here... :P
It depends on alot of factors, but first and foremost is practice. If you can have time in an open area or parking lot practicing, I'm sure you would greatly improve. Also some people are only good at backing "one way;" turning the trailer towards the driver's side rather than he passenger side. To me, one of the biggest factors is visibility. Can I see where I want the trailer to go and can I see the back corner of trailer. Big van trailers are harder for me than low profile such as car or boat trailers. Then there's the relationship between the wheelbase of the tow vehicle and the distance between the hitch point and the axle of the trailer. It affects how quickly a trailer can get out of shape, and how quickly you can get it back into shape.

I'll forego all my personal anecdotes. Bottom line, good operators can get trailers into the most remarkable places. You could become a good operator with practice.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Yeah, that's the problem: practice. If I buy a trailer, I'll have to park it that day. Not much time for practice. I fear for the safety of my - and my neighbor's - fences.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm looking at a 20' trailer, and I understand the smaller ones are harder to back up because they respond quicker than longer ones.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:54 pm

I've backed semi tractors pulling 40' grain trailers. One of the hardest things for me to back is my golf cart and 4' garden trailer. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:07 pm

geonuc wrote:Yeah, that's the problem: practice. If I buy a trailer, I'll have to park it that day. Not much time for practice. I fear for the safety of my - and my neighbor's - fences.

A day (even an hour) is enough time to practice, but you should set up the same situation in an open parking lot--not just backing up, but placing it in the same footprint, without impinging fence boundaries.

Small movements can get magnified, and visibility is bad, turn off the *go-go-go* button. You'll have help?
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:33 pm

grapes wrote:
geonuc wrote:Yeah, that's the problem: practice. If I buy a trailer, I'll have to park it that day. Not much time for practice. I fear for the safety of my - and my neighbor's - fences.

A day (even an hour) is enough time to practice, but you should set up the same situation in an open parking lot--not just backing up, but placing it in the same footprint, without impinging fence boundaries.

Small movements can get magnified, and visibility is bad, turn off the *go-go-go* button. You'll have help?
He's right. Slow and a spotter you'll do fine.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Plus everyone but you and the other fence owner will enjoy the show. :twisted:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm

About all I can add is the huge benefit of a spotter or "ground guide". Once you get it straight which way they want you to turn with their hand signals it can really help with backing into tight places.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am

Thumper wrote:Slow and a spotter you'll do fine.
You're adding the recommendation of a "spotter"? 8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm

They were adding the huge benefit :)
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Now that I reread it, you are correct. My apologies Fisher.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Thumper wrote:
Thumper wrote:Slow and a spotter you'll do fine.
You're adding the recommendation of a "spotter"? 8-)

Re-enforcing the concept. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Never underestimate the importance of someone waving their arms frantically screaming, "Woooow! Wooow! Stop!!!"
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 am

I already know how to back up a trailer. I just wanted opinions on how long it takes to get good enough at it to avoid property destruction.

I can do an hour in a large parking lot. I also determined that the trailer I'm thinking of will fit (just) perpendicularly to where I want to park it eventually. As that orientation is much easier to achieve, I can do that until I get good enough to put it in the other spot. Plus, I have to knock down part of my fence and relocate it about five feet before the trailer will fit where I want it.

Thanks.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Thumper wrote:Never underestimate the importance of someone waving their arms frantically screaming, "Woooow! Wooow! Stop!!!"

roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 pm

geonuc wrote:I already know how to back up a trailer. I just wanted opinions on how long it takes to get good enough at it to avoid property destruction.

Thanks.

one hour to a lifetime depending on a number of extraneous factors. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:28 am

I really don't think we're helping much.
Good luck, Geo.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Thumper wrote:I really don't think we're helping much.
Good luck, Geo.

Moral support, as always. We might've got 'em over that initiation hump.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Yes, but I'm betting he's rolling his eyes and mumbling something like, "With friends like these......grumble grum."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Thumper wrote:Yes, but I'm betting he's rolling his eyes and mumbling something like, "With friends like these......grumble grum."

Lol.

I got a nice email from Z with some encouraging advice.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 pm

But your advice taken together, Fisher's 'one hour to a lifetime' aside, it seems like a dedicated practice session at the local large parking lot should be enough to get past the property destruction aspect.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 pm

If you want to intellectialize it (always a dangerous thing), a trailer's wheels follow the wheels of the truck pulling it. In reverse, in a smooth backing turn, the truck wheels should follow the trailer--if not, then the trailer will tend to move left or right offline. That's ok, if you intend to turn that way, but you have to then get back in line. If not, you can quickly push it into such a tight turn that it jackknifes. The practice in the parking lot will show you how to avoid that. If it does jackknife, pull it out--you probably won't be able to continue backing it up.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Return to Hanging Around