fucking hell

fucking hell

Postby Rommie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Tree of Life Synagogue where the shooting happened in Pittsburgh today is just around the corner from my high school, and a block over from where my best friend from back then grew up. She doesn't live there anymore, but I've been there, both for her bat mitzvah and then her little sister's. And I know her parents were devout enough to go every week.

I texted an hour ago to ask if everyone was ok, but no answer back yet. This sucks. :(
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: fucking hell

Postby geonuc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes, it does suck. Again.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Loresinger » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 pm

and another ar15 - but this will fade in about 2 months at best.

There has been a push for for intense background checks including at gun shows by the "younger generation" that is seeing some results but not enough.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 am

Loresinger wrote:and another ar15 - but this will fade in about 2 months at best.

There has been a push for for intense background checks including at gun shows by the "younger generation" that is seeing some results but not enough.

The AR-15 is not the problem.

This guy never fit in to life anywhere from the beginning. I've been reading some of his sick rantings and then I found out that idiots on FoxNews are blaming the caravan coming from Central America on George Soros. They also think George Soros is running the State Department. How do they still get to be called a news organization?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby code monkey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 am

SciFi Chick wrote:
This guy never fit in to life anywhere from the beginning. I've been reading some of his sick rantings and then I found out that idiots on FoxNews are blaming the caravan coming from Central America on George Soros. They also think George Soros is running the State Department. How do they still get to be called a news organization?

this is something that I've wondered about. after all, there are a number of benefits to being a news-reporting entity. I will now take action. I will set this as a question for Elliot's advisor, the chair of the poly sci dept of the local college. we're having lunch soon. i'll report back.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 am

Friend's family is ok. But I still feel so awful for the families shattered in this. :(

So, what I find strange but can’t put my finger on why I don’t like it is several people I’ve heard in/from Pittsburgh are saying things like “I hope people won’t now think Pittsburgh is like this.” On the one hand, I get it and agree (but don’t think it will happen). On the other hand, it’s... maybe it feels callous? Like your first thought is “this is awful and I hope it doesn’t affect me”? I don’t know if this makes any sense, or if I’m overthinking it.

Similarly, I swear people are willfully ignorant when people say things like "don't forget to vote for those who will change things" and respond with arguments of "I don't think Trump is responsible, just like I don't think Bernie Sanders was responsible when that guy shot Republicans practicing at a baseball game." Like, clearly, there is a serious problem in this country. I'm not saying everyone agrees just why, but the point is this is so clearly an issue that no one is tackling who currently sets policy and agenda (like, I'm not hearing anyone saying it's not a gun control issue but one that mental health is not addressed advocating for increased funding for mental health). Is that so hard to understand? Apparently, for some, it is.

(I realize btw maybe politics forum is a better place for all this discussion, so those in charge can move it if they wish.)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 am

Not inclined to move it at the moment, because you have a personal connection to it, but we'll see what happens as the thread progresses.

People say all sorts of stupid and callous things when stuff like this happens. Sometimes they realize it. Sometimes they don't. But I mostly think it's unintentional.

As to whether people will think Pittsburgh is like this, I have friends that literally won't visit the U.S. because we're like this, and you never know where it's going to happen next.

Very happy that none of your friends or family were hurt in this wicked event. I kind of wish the guy had died on the scene, but then we'd have to listen to "false flag" conspiracies, and I am NOT in the mood.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 am

code monkey wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

this is something that I've wondered about. after all, there are a number of benefits to being a news-reporting entity. I will now take action. I will set this as a question for Elliot's advisor, the chair of the poly sci dept of the local college. we're having lunch soon. i'll report back.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm

It's one of those topics where we really need a mass shootings sticky thread, because it's as common as talking about the weather
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm

squ1d wrote:It's one of those topics where we really need a mass shootings sticky thread, because it's as common as talking about the weather

:( You're not wrong. I wish you were, although I don't think I'm quite ready to make it a sticky.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:09 pm

didn't Fox at one time have the designation of "entertainment" news or something like that? It's clicking in the back of my head
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Loresinger wrote:didn't Fox at one time have the designation of "entertainment" news or something like that? It's clicking in the back of my head

IIRC they were sued for lying. In court, they alleged they could not be sued for lying because they were an entertainment outlet. In reality, the case hinged on their first amendment rights AKA freedom of speech. They never blatantly claimed they could lie but it was implied in their defense strategy. Which is what a lot of people pick up on when they say that Fox claims it has no responsibility to report the truth.

There are reports that Fox deliberately uses entertainment strategy to keep viewers engaged. And they definitely report most things from a hard right perspective.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Hanging Around