Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:23 pm

There is one Sunday night/ Monday morning! And I was wondering if I should start a thread about this specifically, and then CTV Toronto got in touch to book me for the 6 o'clock news on Monday to discuss it, so that answered that. Well technically they said they want to discuss the "super blood wolf moon," but ya know. :P

Bf is busy laughing because he knows how much I hate the new trend of naming full moons like this, but ya know, the lure of stardom is greater I guess. ;)

Also, hoping to watch it on Sunday if it's clear- weather report isn't that impossible. A friend is organizing drinks on a rooftop bar in Toronto, so that will be a great spot for it if clear.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Lunar Eclipse

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm

You might as well do it. Adding clear, accurate, concise information to the noise that the news puts out will be a good thing. And you're the person to do it.
Hope you end up with clear skies. We won't have a prayer. Cloudy from earlier this week until well after next weekend.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:34 pm

I think calling it the super blood wolf moon is a good thing. I mean, who doesn't want to see a super blood wolf moon!?

Pretty cool being asked to discuss it on CTV!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Rommie wrote:There is one Sunday night/ Monday morning! And I was wondering if I should start a thread about this specifically, and then CTV Toronto got in touch to book me for the 6 o'clock news on Monday to discuss it, so that answered that. Well technically they said they want to discuss the "super blood wolf moon," but ya know. :P

Bf is busy laughing because he knows how much I hate the new trend of naming full moons like this, but ya know, the lure of stardom is greater I guess. ;)

I had to do the same on a radio interview. Having to explain what it all means just takes time away from talking about other important things about the eclipse. But hey, if it gets people interested, I'll put up with it!

We're having an event, and 750 people have registered....we know some won't show, but still it's going to be a madhouse! Again, that's exciting, that there are so many people in the area interested, and that we are both a catalyst for interest and a place to come watch it!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:11 am

I bet someone is already writing the script for a movie about how the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse turned people into horrible creatures. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 am

SciFiFisher wrote:I bet someone is already writing the script for a movie about how the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse turned people into horrible creatures. :lol:

Super Blood Wolf Moon meets Sharknado.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah, I reckon the name is great marketing, so if it gets people to look up who am I to argue.

Cleared up here after all the snow yesterday. Fingers crossed!
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Clear skies and single digits tonight! Whoo-hoo!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Unfortunately, Bend was completely clouded over last night. The full moon was mocking me this morning, though, as it shone brightly into the bedroom.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:47 pm

We saw it! It was like negative Fahrenheit digits, and more than -20F with wind chill, but that was inevitable if it's clear out IMO this time of year.

But never fear, as we aren't idiots, we saw it from inside, as the rooftop bar had a really nice vantage of the city. And a little terrace just outside that was perfect for going out for a few minute intervals to snap photos, and some binoculars in the group for additional viewing.

Now at work, all dressed up for my interview later today. Apparently they put the clips from the news online after on their website, which I will post- hopefully you can watch from outside Canada too!
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm

I fell asleep. I shoveled and plowed all day. Crashed after dinner. Oh well. Heard it was nice.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:39 pm

We had nada for visibility here. So... we dialed up a view from one of the Observatories here in California and watched it on Brite's tablet. Our grandson was fascinated that the moon turned red. He watched the entire sequence.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Awesome! So for those who missed it, it turns out a meteorite hit the moon during the eclipse. I think that's awesome. :)

Also, local news canceled like two hours before, claiming some other "breaking news" was going to get the time instead. Ah well.
Rommie

Return to Hanging Around