NHL 2017-18

Re: NHL 2017-18

Postby Thumper » Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Ohio must be in the south then. But I guess they're still playing basketball. At least one of us is. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Although there apparently is a hockey team in California. I just heard a news report that the Los Angeles Kings won their game yesterday. We also appear to have the San Jose Sharks and the Anaheim Ducks here. Who knew? :o
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm

California, Texas, Arizona, they're the mecca for ice hockey. But the Kings got blanked by that other perennial powerhouse: Vegas, in the first round last month.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am

Entertaining series. Caps fully deserved the win in Game 3. Don't know what the center ice official thought he saw calling a Vegas player for tripping, when it was the Caps' player's own teammate that tripped him. Thankfully, the Caps didn't score, the officials were letting many things go uncalled, so that one was just strange.

On a positive note, the Toronto Marlies came from behind to win Game 1, of the Calder Cup Final, 6-5 over the Texas Stars. :cheer:
Parrothead

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm hoping the series goes to Sunday. Simple reason, the bf is finally moving over on Saturday, and I think we'd have fun going out to watch a game!

Caps are so strong though, not sure it'll happen.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:56 am

Congrats to the Caps, their first Stanley Cup. Ovie can also add a Conn Smythe Award to his trophy tally.

On to the next season, come Fall.

Go Leafs Go!
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am

Let's Go Jackets!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Tuned in to the game. Honestly Caps were playing on a different level. Not a huge fan, but good for them. It is pretty amazing Vegas got so far in their first year though as a team!

Also, random, but it was weird to me that in Vegas when they sing the national anthem and they get to the part where you say "gave proof through the night" everyone shouts "KNIGHT!" for that one word. Like I don't really care, but seemed a little disrespectful personally- I'm sure if some NFL players wanted to do it we'd be talking about that, but no one cares if it's some white hockey fans. :P
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 pm

-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Apparently, we don't have a 2018-2019 NHL thread? It's a conspiracy against the Jackets! :P
The Blue Jackets took a while to stop being the only team not to make the playoffs. Then the only team not to have a playoff win, now the only team to not win a playoff series. They took out the number one team in the league in a 4 game sweep. And all the media can say is, "What happened? We're so sad, this is terrible! Whatever are we going to do!?"
Even NPR got on the bandwagon only focusing on the losers.
I emailed them as soon as I got in yesterday. Instead of interviewing a dejected reporter for the losing team and how sad and confused and bitter she was, why not interview a long suffering Blue Jackets' fan who put his sweater on game after game for 20 disappointing seasons. And finally a release of all that frustration, all that emotion, the monkey off your back. I told NPR they completely missed the bus, this could have been the happiest story of the week.

Let's Go Jackets. You earned it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 pm

You can still start a new thread if you want!

Pens are already out, swept by the Islanders, so guess you guys aren't the only ones (but think your victory was first). So, congrats there, I hope you can enjoy it despite the killjoys. :)

Leafs-Bruins has been quite spirited, and is 2-2 right now so I think it's likely it'll go to Game 7. It's pretty fun with my current home going against my future home, but I think I have an affinity for the Leafs more than the Bruins as the underdogs. So, go Leafs!

Also, I thought this article in the Beaverton (Canadian version of the Onion) was pretty great- https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/04/ma ... skaG9opXXc
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm

That article is hilarious. And until Tuesday night, you could have substituted "CBJ" for "Leafs" and it would have still worked. :P
CBJ play the winner of that series, so in all likelihood they have to wait over a week to play again. That could be good and bad. They get rest and recovery from injuries. But they could come out flat while the Bruins/Leafs winner might have some big momentum. But nothing they can do about it now but rest and then get the fire back next week. Whatever happens, they got the monkey off their back and now know they can play with the good teams in the NHL when it counts. That could also help next year when they won't have the attitude, "Let's hope we can squeak into the playoffs then get our @sses handed to us as usual."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Previous

Return to Hanging Around