The Moon

Re: The Moon

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

Wow, I had a similar experience. There's a tree along my drive that is dead and has slowly been shedding it's limbs, usually across the drive. I had the saw and was fighting some limbs that were leaning on other trees while keeping an eye on a couple broken limbs high up that could come down and clobber me. As I paused for a few seconds to catch my breath I was looking up sucking wind and saw the thin crescent too.

I was happy too but more so because those widowmakers stayed up there while I was underneath. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 pm

It's amazing how fascinated we are over an object we've seen all our lives. I suppose other examples of natural beauty evoke similar responses - the ocean, a flower, a majestic mountain range - but the moon seems to grab our attention more than any common sight.

We're all just a bunch of pagan moon worshipers!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm all for that!

You are right about all of those. An overwhelming ocean view, a brilliant sunrise or sunset. Everytime I see one of the Cascades, especially Hood. It's a moving experience. I take your point. The Grand Canyon or Half Dome are almost indescribably awesome. But most people don't see those in person on a daily or yearly basis. The Moon is available, barring overcast conditions, about 28 days a month. And has been for quite some time. Yet it never gets old.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

geonuc wrote:It's amazing how fascinated we are over an object we've seen all our lives. I suppose other examples of natural beauty evoke similar responses - the ocean, a flower, a majestic mountain range - but the moon seems to grab our attention more than any common sight.

We're all just a bunch of pagan moon worshipers!

My niece is two and loves looking at the moon. Only problem is she thinks "crescent moon" is actually "Cassie's moon," aka hers, and her mom thinks it's too cute to correct her so this might take some time to clear up. ;)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

Awww, just let her have the Moon.
As long as she leaves it where it is.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm

Beautiful big low hanging yellow/red toenail of a moon just before dawn in the east this morning.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:43 am

Very yellow orange southerly low hanging Moon this morning in the southwest. Especially striking late in the commute as it was hanging just over the buildings. It's always striking after you haven't seen it for a few days (or a week). Also neat in conjunction with loud owl calls we heard last night and this morning.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Conversation with my 9 year old the other day:

Boy: Look, you can see the moon during the day! (there was a highly visible half moon showing in the sky about 1 PM that day).
Me: It sure looks bright.
Boy: Yes. Some kids at my school don't believe you can see the moon during the day. That's just crazy.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 pm

That is both hilarious and sweet.
8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Thumper wrote:That is both hilarious and sweet.
8-)

He is very smart and has some very profound insight at times. And then there are times when he is acting just like a 9 year old. roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:58 am

Beautiful old toenail Moon this morning in the pre dawn sky. Haven't see the Moon sun or stars in the last few days so it was as welcome as it was spectacular. Didn't think I was going to see anything this morning as it was quite foggy at the house. But when I came down off the hill it all cleared off.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Previous

Return to Hanging Around