geonuc- The Last Blockbuster

geonuc- The Last Blockbuster

Postby Rommie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:36 pm

So there's a documentary on Netflix right now called The Last Blockbuster, about the last Blockbuster store which is located in Bend, Oregon of all places. Seeing as we actually have a local Bend-ite I wanted to ask, have you ever been? Is this a thing people know about in town/ do you know people who still use it? And why the hell do you think it's in Bend, Oregon?

Signed, someone who remembers Blockbuster with some nostalgia, but hasn't had a DVD player in a decade so not sure what we'd do even if we had one by us.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: geonuc- The Last Blockbuster

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Rommie wrote:So there's a documentary on Netflix right now called The Last Blockbuster, about the last Blockbuster store which is located in Bend, Oregon of all places. Seeing as we actually have a local Bend-ite I wanted to ask, have you ever been? Is this a thing people know about in town/ do you know people who still use it? And why the hell do you think it's in Bend, Oregon?

Signed, someone who remembers Blockbuster with some nostalgia, but hasn't had a DVD player in a decade so not sure what we'd do even if we had one by us.

Co-signed, someone who remembers Blockbuster with much nostalgia, and still has a VCR plugged in to her bedroom tv.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

It's walking distance from my house but I've never set foot inside given we pay for so many streaming channels. My wife has recently mentioned wanting to check it out.

Yes, everyone in town knows about the Blockbuster and about the attention it gets. I have no idea why this particular Blockbuster is the last one standing. There's nothing special about it or about Bend's video rental market.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 pm

That documentary, by the way, was shown in town last year at a pop-up outdoor theater. I didn't go and actually haven't seen it yet. My wife has.

One of the local big time breweries here - 10 Barrel - made a Last Blockbuster beer. I didn't try that either. :?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:05 pm

They mention that beer in the documentary! And it's on one of those streaming services you pay so much for now so you've no excuse! :P

The funny thing is they never made it to Holland, but even F was like "maybe we should go to Bend, Oregon!" And then was super confused about how I knew you, I think because he's still just confused about why we hang out on a PHP forum. :lol:
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Rommie wrote:So there's a documentary on Netflix right now called The Last Blockbuster, about the last Blockbuster store which is located in Bend, Oregon of all places. Seeing as we actually have a local Bend-ite I wanted to ask, have you ever been? Is this a thing people know about in town/ do you know people who still use it? And why the hell do you think it's in Bend, Oregon?

Co-signed, someone who remembers Blockbuster with much nostalgia, and still has a VCR plugged in to her bedroom tv.

Do you use it? :)

There's a Little Free Library by the Institute which since I've been working here has a VHS tape of "Baby, Take a Bow" which is an old Shirley Temple movie. It's clearly a well curated LFL, so I reckon it's a bit of a running joke by now or similar!
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:08 pm

We enjoyed the documentary and I love several 10 Barrel beers...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 pm

Thumper wrote:We enjoyed the documentary and I love several 10 Barrel beers...

A lot of the locals consider 10 Barrel a sellout because they were acquired by A-B. But hey, I figure they still make the same craft beer they did before and it's good, so ...
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Rommie wrote:They mention that beer in the documentary! And it's on one of those streaming services you pay so much for now so you've no excuse! :P

The funny thing is they never made it to Holland, but even F was like "maybe we should go to Bend, Oregon!" And then was super confused about how I knew you, I think because he's still just confused about why we hang out on a PHP forum. :lol:

My wife watched it so I probably should to.

I assume you told F that I was one of your rabid fans who think nothing of driving halfway across the country to see you give a presentation!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm

geonuc wrote:
Rommie wrote:They mention that beer in the documentary! And it's on one of those streaming services you pay so much for now so you've no excuse! :P

My wife watched it so I probably should to.

I assume you told F that I was one of your rabid fans who think nothing of driving halfway across the country to see you give a presentation!

Well if I told him that that way he would be genuinely freaked out that I agreed to meet with you. :P
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu May 13, 2021 12:30 pm

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:We enjoyed the documentary and I love several 10 Barrel beers...

A lot of the locals consider 10 Barrel a sellout because they were acquired by A-B. But hey, I figure they still make the same craft beer they did before and it's good, so ...
Yeah, I see both sides of that.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around