Volcano!

Volcano!

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:26 pm

So as many of y'all heard, there is a volcano erupting right now in Iceland and it's actually not too hard to go see it. In fact, hardest part was impatiently waiting for the weather to be good enough- there was a lot of wind and rain our few days so the hike wasn't advised, but our last full day it was upgraded to "not the best" so we went for it. :lol: And, wow, so amazing to see in person- I've been volcano obsessed since I was 4 years old and my parents got me a book on Pompeii (which is weirder to think about the older I am, but was awesome so guess it worked) and it was so incredible to see lava and all the rest of it!

I put a video here along with a ton of pics, and thought I should share it here too. Basically the volcano does this every 6-9 minutes or so right now, and it's just amazing to see how it actually looks like in the movies. And to hear it too- I wasn't expecting sound, but turns out all that material falling down sounds a lot like a plane going overhead!

Also for those who haven't been obsessively watching it so far, there's actually a volcano live stream on YouTube (several, in fact!)- here. Basically in all the bars/restaurants in Iceland whenever there isn't a sporting event on, they just show the local live stream, which I thought was delightful in itself. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Volcano!

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:03 pm

That's pretty cool. We hope to get to Iceland some day.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Volcano!

Postby geonuc » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Thumper wrote:That's pretty cool. We hope to get to Iceland some day.

I went six years ago. One of the best vacations of my life. I'd live in Iceland if they'd let me (they won't).
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Return to Hanging Around