facebook privacy question

facebook privacy question

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Some random person liked a pic of my daughter from her 8th birthday a year ago, then sent me a friend request. I checked my privacy, and it appears to be set so that only friends can see my posts/pictures. I know there are a lot of caveats to that. My dad shared the post, so that could be one way it got out. I haven't found a way to set my privacy so that only my friends can see what I post even if someone else shares it. I'm pretty sure it's possible because I've seen that kind of message when other people have shared things, "this content is not available due to the original poster's settings."

I'll have to walk my dad through his privacy settings, and possibly ask him not to share pictures anymore. I know the only way to keep my pictures 100% private is not to post them, but short of that I want to do everything else I can.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: facebook privacy question

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Ugh, that's so creepy! :evil:

I'm definitely glad my dad decided he isn't interested in social media, and my mom decided she just likes to read what others say and never post (except once or twice a year or so and she asks one of us kids to draft a post with certain pictures, like at Christmas). There are just so many settings it gets confusing.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 am

I get friend requests from random guys every few weeks, yeah it's creepy but I just delete them. This is the first time I've gotten a notification that someone liked a pic of mine.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 am

it's kind of tricky. You can set things so that only your friends can see your posts. But, there is some leakage if your friends share your posts. If you go the settings and privacy page you can change who can send your friend requests and set to "Friends of friends" instead of "Everyone". https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=privacy&view

If you go to this page https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=f ... tions&view You can change who can comment on your posts by choosing "Public Post Comments". I think if you restrict the Public Profile Info to "Friends Only" it will help limit who can view your photos.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 pm

Yeah, it's funny, I lead a fairly public life on many social media outlets, but I keep my FB one buttoned down really tight. I guess because I actually know everyone there and can control it. It's also definitely a bit of a professional network for me in astronomy, and the one that kept me in astronomy when I had trouble with my PhD, so I don't think I'm deleting it soon.

Mind, whenever F sees me posting here he's always like "you still hang out on a PHP forum?!" and makes sure again that I know not to use the same password here as elsewhere etc. So hey, privacy! :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Ikyoto » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 pm

plenty of privacy right now
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:24 pm

ROFL

Well, they say direct action gets the goods...
lady_*nix

Return to Hanging Around