Shooting at Washington Navy Yard

Shooting at Washington Navy Yard

Postby Parrothead » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 pm

According to media reports, some 10 people have been injured, as a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, just before 8:30 am (EDT).
Parrothead

Re: Shooting at Washington Navy Yard

Postby Swift » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:52 pm

You know what... I don't give a rat's tush about mass shootings in the US any longer (and yes, I live here). We didn't do squat after a bunch of little kids and teachers were slaughtered; why should I care about a bunch of Naval personnel. We have decided as a society that they are the acceptable collatoral damage to our obsession with the Second Ammendment.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rebis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

If there is a 2nd gunman, I hope they find him quickly! :(
Rebis

Postby geonuc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Swift wrote:You know what... I don't give a rat's tush about mass shootings in the US any longer (and yes, I live here). We didn't do squat after a bunch of little kids and teachers were slaughtered; why should I care about a bunch of Naval personnel. We have decided as a society that they are the acceptable collatoral damage to our obsession with the Second Ammendment.

Sadly, it's not hard to join in on this sentiment. :|
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby gethen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:28 am

geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:You know what... I don't give a rat's tush about mass shootings in the US any longer (and yes, I live here). We didn't do squat after a bunch of little kids and teachers were slaughtered; why should I care about a bunch of Naval personnel. We have decided as a society that they are the acceptable collatoral damage to our obsession with the Second Ammendment.

Sadly, it's not hard to join in on this sentiment. :|

I'm there as well. Sad.
gethen

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 am

Well, aren't you all a bunch of Eeyores.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I figure they will continue to happen. I'm usually interested in hearing what set the person(s) off, to commit such violent acts. Reports are now, that the person carrying out the attack, may have had mental health issues.

I came across this story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24124193 , from Austria. Though, in this case, it seems the person is reacting to being caught poaching. Still makes no sense, in going from shooting animals to turning on humans.
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 am

It gets even better. The guy who did the shootingswas a contractor with a history of gun issues, arrests, and mental health issues. And he had a secret clearance. He also had been discharged from the Navy due to issues with a pattern of misconduct.

Welcome to the world of government contracting where no one will take responsibility because that wasn't in the contract. :o
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:29 am

SciFiFisher wrote:Welcome to the world of government contracting where no one will take responsibility because that wasn't in the contract. :o

Well, to be accurate, that's the case with just about every contractual relationship.

I don't know how far we can take the 'we should have known he was a nutcase' position with all these shootings. Maybe we should have, maybe it's just too big a task for the resources we devote to psychological screenings.

Better to control the guns. Or do both.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Welcome to the world of government contracting where no one will take responsibility because that wasn't in the contract. :o

Well, to be accurate, that's the case with just about every contractual relationship.

I don't know how far we can take the 'we should have known he was a nutcase' position with all these shootings. Maybe we should have, maybe it's just too big a task for the resources we devote to psychological screenings.

Better to control the guns. Or do both.

A reasonable background check, which all agencies are supposed to be doing, would have revealed this individuals arrest record. An arrest record that would have banned him from being hired by the contractor or to continue employment with the contractor. His access would have been taken away.

On August 7th Newport RI police reported to the Newport Naval Station that Alexis was acting in a psychotic manner because he had called them to report that people were beaming microwaves into his body to prevent him from sleeping. No one did anything with that report apparently. The Newport Naval Station is refusing to comment other than to refer people to the FBI.

There is no way you can prevent every situation or catch every person. But, there is no way anyone can say there weren't enough red flags for this one. What is the issue is that a man who should never have had a clearance to get on base did. And he managed to carry a shotgun onto the base and into what was supposed to be a secured area.

I suppose we could blame sequestration and all the budget cuts. Or, sure, let's blame poor gun regulation. That way we won't have to hold anyone accountable or look at the processes and systems that failed. Because if did that we might actually fix something. :roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
A reasonable background check, which all agencies are supposed to be doing, would have revealed this individuals arrest record. An arrest record that would have banned him from being hired by the contractor or to continue employment with the contractor. His access would have been taken away.

On August 7th Newport RI police reported to the Newport Naval Station that Alexis was acting in a psychotic manner because he had called them to report that people were beaming microwaves into his body to prevent him from sleeping. No one did anything with that report apparently. The Newport Naval Station is refusing to comment other than to refer people to the FBI.

There is no way you can prevent every situation or catch every person. But, there is no way anyone can say there weren't enough red flags for this one. What is the issue is that a man who should never have had a clearance to get on base did. And he managed to carry a shotgun onto the base and into what was supposed to be a secured area.

I suppose we could blame sequestration and all the budget cuts. Or, sure, let's blame poor gun regulation. That way we won't have to hold anyone accountable or look at the processes and systems that failed. Because if did that we might actually fix something. :roll:

Who's to say that if he didn't have access, he wouldn't have gone somewhere not secured to do the shooting? In both cases, people are dead because he had a gun. You can't blame this on the fact that he had access.

The problem is that someone who tried to seek help for his mental health issues and was denied, legally bought a gun. As geonuc said, we need to fix both.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Return to Hanging Around