'the f-word is everywhere'

'the f-word is everywhere'

Postby code monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 am

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/opinion/clark-f-word-everywhere/

and the oxford comma makes an appearance too!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Re: 'the f-word is everywhere'

Postby cid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 am

F--- this...

...oh, come on...like you thought NOBODY was gonna chime in on this in this particular manner?
If you believe that, I've got some land for sale in Florida...it's real nice when the tide's out...
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Roy Peter Clark has captured exactly why I love that word. I use it rather frequently, though I'm easily able to edit myself depending on the company I keep. It's rather like speaking different languages to communicate with people. In fact, I first started using the word 'fuck' to communicate with people that cursed on a regular basis.

I'm still mightily amused when I go, with my husband, amongst men, and they suddenly feel the need to edit their language. It's rather sweet but highly unnecessary.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:31 pm

It's because we have fucking respect for women.
Too fucking right we do.
FZR1KG

Postby code monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:59 pm

cid wrote:F--- this...
...oh, come on...like you thought NOBODY was gonna chime in on this in this particular manner?
If you believe that, I've got some land for sale in Florida...it's real nice when the tide's out...

don't be silly. of course i expected that someone would respond in precisely that manner. i had, however, hoped for something not so obvious from you.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby cid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 pm

...surpriiiiiise...

On another tack, I've been known to cry bullsqueezin's, and let fly the f-bombs of grammar on occasion. I try not to sprinkle the
term liberally, as I was taught not to use words of that style (uncouth, penalties abound, etc). I'm of the opinion that the word gets used far far more
for shock value than proper emphasis.

I got to see Red Skelton in concert once. In two hours, he used ONE four-letter word (and a relatively mild one at that), in proper
context to emphasize a concept. One of the more pleasant evenings I've spent, but I often recall just how well
someone can use The King's English without resorting to "gutter language". If that's all they use because that's all they've got,
it reflects very poorly on them IMNSHO....
Last edited by cid on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:11 pm

But sometimes, the gutter is all we've got.
FZR1KG

Return to Hanging Around