The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Rommie » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:21 pm

I mean he's not that old, he better! :lol: We ended up splitting the front walk, so the mailman or whoever has a path to the front door.

Really fun to walk around yesterday afternoon as I can't remember the last time I had such a huge snowstorm. First time I saw some new neighbors out and about, clearing driveways and cars. Turns out the new house is also right by the biggest sled hill in town- plenty of space and masks, and it was fun to see everyone enjoying the snow day. Now we just need to get a sled for ourselves!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Because I was worried I wasn't being geeky enough (heh), I'm keeping track of the temperature at our house this year in cross stitch form. 1/6 done so far!

A surprising number of people do these online, so finding a basic pattern was no problem. Station is just a block away from us, on Weather Underground, which is perfect- I haven't figured out which house it's at yet but kind of want to go over once I figure it out and introduce myself! :)

But yeah, it's interesting how something like this makes you pay attention to the weather a bit more. First time I was ever excited that we didn't hit 20F in January one day so I could use purple. :) And kind of happy I didn't do this last year, when I would have had to use the color for 70F in January and February, which would have just filled me with even more existential dread about climate change...

Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:08 pm

I am not sure why you would ever doubt your geekiness. roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 am

I love it. Something you can work on bit by bit all year.

I found a cross stitch that takes my geekiness beyond-astro: Minnesota Watersheds. One of my work projects has me heavily into watershed maps, so it fits perfect.
Rooster's helping me pick out some different colors. We don't quite like these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 pm

Love it! I've seen some like this where it's the geology of states.

Also, I found my giant map of the USA project I started a few years ago. The thing is I've put it aside more or less lately because all that's left is the boring stuff, like the ocean border. But it's such a neat piece I really ought to finish it...
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:14 pm

Those are amazing.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:16 pm

Why is it still so damn cold :cry: I hate this, Boston weather sucks. ISTG I'd move to Atlanta or something, but I'm scared I'd die from lack of medical care and/or being murdered by Klansmen.
lady_*nix

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 pm

So Atlanta has no hospitals or doctors and is full of Klansmen? :o
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I am not sure why you would ever doubt your geekiness. roll:
Hilarious.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:10 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I love it. Something you can work on bit by bit all year.

I found a cross stitch that takes my geekiness beyond-astro: Minnesota Watersheds. One of my work projects has me heavily into watershed maps, so it fits perfect.
Rooster's helping me pick out some different colors. We don't quite like these.
That's awesome, I used to live in the Red River Watershed.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Definitely an "in like a lion, out like a lamb" kind of March here, with everything in between. So far in the last two weeks I've had to use both the "25-30" and "70-75" colors in my cross stitch weather tracker!

We went skiing yesterday in NH at our usual spot, where all winter we've been worried about getting too cold and unable to go inside to go in and warm up, and yesterday was just so not that problem. 60F and the snow was super wet and sticky- probably would have been ok had we driven further north to bigger mountains, but a bit too much for us for a day trip. Definitely done skiing for the year- made it up 5 times though which honestly, in a pandemic I think is quite respectable (and was one of the few things we could safely do during the cold months so it was great).

Now to wait a month or two until mud season is done and hiking can begin! :wait:
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Mud season has begun here. We had a few great weeks of winter with plenty of snow and near 0 temps. It all melted in a day and then we had 2-3 inches of rain. Mud and flooding everywhere. Then it got really warm (was over 70 yesterday). I'm waiting for the relapse. We'll get a few hard frosts and flurries in April. But the mud will stay.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Oh man, isn't it amazing what a nice spring day can do to the world? Sure there's a pandemic, but it's so much more bearable when it's nice out!

One of those days that makes me think of the Anne of Green Gables quote where she feels sad for people who aren't born yet, because they may have other nice days but the'll never have this one.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:08 pm

Why is it snowing, it's supposed to be spring, I thought we were done with this shit. I hate this :cry:
lady_*nix

Postby Thumper » Tue May 11, 2021 2:43 pm

We got 3 inches of snow in late April, it was 80 degrees two weeks before that and 80 again a week later. It's been cooler the last couple of weeks and rain rain rainy. Lots of rain.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby lady_*nix » Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Welp... guess our 2-3 weeks of actually nice weather are over, and the transition from "too damn cold" to "too damn hot" is now complete. :(
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm

80+ degrees this weekend. With the high Sun it feels like late July. Later this week I'm driving 150 miles north and the high will be 49. And rainy. Out on a boat on Lake Superior. I'm packing winter gear!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 pm

lady_*nix wrote:Welp... guess our 2-3 weeks of actually nice weather are over, and the transition from "too damn cold" to "too damn hot" is now complete. :(

Yeah, it's been nuts. We discovered this past week the AC in the house we bought and seemed to be working is, in fact, dead, so yeah perfect timing to figure that out...
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:19 pm

That's when you always figure it out. :scream:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby lady_*nix » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 am

It's so hot and humid... I can haz thunderstorms plz? The sky is completely gray and overcast even, but no storms are predicted. :(
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Think it's gonna break tomorrow...

The weird thing lately is how darn regional the thunderstorms are. On Saturday F and I were driving in New Hampshire in two separate cars, and I was maybe 5 minutes ahead tops, and there was a giant cloudburst of rain for a few minutes that required max wiper speed. When we were both at the brewery I asked him about the rain, and he said he hadn't encountered any but saw the road was wet. Wild! That area of the state also is currently considered to be in moderate drought, so I wonder if that's part of the reason.

While I'm on the topic of drought, if I look at the current map for the USA I keep thinking how while I love the South West and the Rockies, I'm not sure if I could take a job there ever with the plan to be permanent. It is definitely the new normal, and those wildfires every summer just seem like an increasingly terrible dystopia with no escape, and at some point it's a feature not a bug. (I always tell F if it hasn't burned to the ground by the time we retire though I'd love to spend the winter months exploring it in a camper or similar.)
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:25 pm

We're girding for another epic wildfire season. There's a fire north of us that's already degraded the air quality.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:07 pm

It was over a hundred F yesterday while I was on the cool (west) side of the Cascades. Over a hundred here today.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby lady_*nix » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 pm

Hot again here too. :cry: Not nearly as bad as y'all on the other side of the continent, but I had to reschedule lunch with a friend because of the heat hazard. Even if their heat tolerance is okay, mine is lousy.

(And yes I know that's a huge change from the old perpetually-cold GJ who loved hot weather. Autoimmune diseases are absolute shit.)
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:02 pm

And the temperature keeps rising. Today is highs of 97 F; tomorrow is supposed to reach 98.

Meanwhile I have a new roomie, who the management co dropped on me with literally zero notice - I only found out at the last minute from the rental people. And I'm kind of worried about her TBH. She's a grad student from Poland, so unused to this heat, and being on the first floor (instead of basement like my other roomies) means dealing with the full brunt of it.

Think I'll see if I can talk to her about wrangling a second air conditioner.
lady_*nix

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around