The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:24 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Pumpkin Pie wins the coldest place reported contest. roll:

But it's a dry cold!

:D roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Thumper wrote:So you three are saying I can't complain because the temps dropped into the teens last week and 10 this morning?

I usually don't mind the cold temps, I get acclimated to them over time. But they have been fluctuating so wildly the last month is is impossible to acclimate. 65F on Christmas day, down to the teens, back to the 50's, and now 20 in at the warmest part of the day.

You can complain. But, you might get razzed. :D
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 pm

I'm used to complaining and used to being razzed. :D I still remember the walks to school in Grand Forks North Dakota so many years ago in -20 to -30 temps. I had never ever heard of a "snow day" until I moved "down south" to Ohio.

We finally got some snow last night, maybe 4 inches at the deepest parts. Enough for me and the dog to go out and frolic, then I got to shovel and plow the drive. It was glorious.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Ho-lee shit, you guys. Talk started earlier this week about a potential mega snow storm, but the forecast wasn't clear in terms of where the storm is going. In the past 24 hours it's become more clear... and even the conservative places like the National Weather Service are saying well over a foot, perhaps >2 feet of snow!

I'm thinking hard but don't think I've seen anything like those totals if they hold, and I'll be damned if I'm not really excited to see it. My boss left early today to head to the Berkshires were they're "only" getting 4-6" of snow, but I'll be damned if I'd miss a giant blizzard like this for anything! :) And we definitely thanked my family again for the housewarming/Xmas present last year of a snowblower. :lol:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:02 pm

That is just crazy. I'm glad you get to enjoy it from home! And I feel for those who have to go out in it. Hopefully "non-essential" workers stay home so that people who have to go out in it can do so safely.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 pm

They literally said travel should be restricted to emergencies only, which I don't think I've seen before. Lots of restaurants etc around us are def staying shut.

But yeah apparently the trick is it's going to be pretty cold tomorrow during the storm, high of about 24, so the water to snow ratio that's normally 10:1 is now going to be something like 15:1. Didn't know that before! We tied a yardstick to our deck so we can keep track- at first I was like "is this the best spot because the snow drifts here?" but let's be honest, when you're looking at two feet what's a few inches.

Kinda crazy though because today is just a pretty normal winter day. Makes me think about what it must have been like a century ago, when you had no idea when something like this was going to occur...
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 am

We were too far north for it to hit us. Still cold though. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:44 pm

Ok, I'd say we got 18-20" from this storm- hard to tell exactly because it was so windy it all drifted around quite a bit. Did three snowblower runs- one morning, one late afternoon, one Sunday morning- and it was kind of amazing how you basically couldn't tell F did the morning snowblower run by the afternoon one. Then the last one there was "only" 6" or so to clear.

Did a very brief walk around the block mid-storm (it was too windy to do more, though we did see some cross country skiers etc), and we are on a corner. The one slightly more major road had one lane plowed, the side roads had been abandoned for a few hours, so walking in the middle of the street was in 4-5" of snow looking like a no-man's land. Very cool. Also, I am forever impressed with New Englanders, because by Sunday morning all our roads were cleared just fine- narrow, but fine for driving. It's pretty darn impressive!

Very pretty out right now. :)
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:07 pm

The last time we had a storm like that was Christmas Eve 2020. That morning the ground was bare, but this allowed us to have a white Christmas!

Rooster and I took a walk around the block in the middle of the storm, like you did. Unplowed roads, and the winds drove high drifts toward the curbs. I went to step on what I thought was a yard and turned out went all the way down to the road, and shouted "Homy Momy." (Instead of Holy Moly.) So now every time we get snow like that, it's "Homy Momy Snowmy." You definitely got some of that!

(looking back at this post, "Homy" and "Horny" look a lot alike.)
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:58 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:The last time we had a storm like that was Christmas Eve 2020. That morning the ground was bare, but this allowed us to have a white Christmas!

Rooster and I took a walk around the block in the middle of the storm, like you did. Unplowed roads, and the winds drove high drifts toward the curbs. I went to step on what I thought was a yard and turned out went all the way down to the road, and shouted "Homy Momy." (Instead of Holy Moly.) So now every time we get snow like that, it's "Homy Momy Snowmy." You definitely got some of that!

(looking back at this post, "Homy" and "Horny" look a lot alike.)

roll: roll: roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:01 pm

Buffalo was too far inland to get hit. But, we did get some serious snow fall last week. And the roads were cleared quickly after the worst of it was done. We have huge mounds of snow in various places but lanes are nice and clear with the exception of some of the turn lanes. You have to put that extra snow somewhere. :)
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Returned from the Ecuadorian jungle to 3 inches of snow on top of 3 inches of ice that is harder than concrete. I managed to get both garage doors unfrozen and working so Mrs. T could head to work today. But I broke a shovel handle and a straight hoe in the process...It's good to be home!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Sounds like you went on holiday at just the right time! :)
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:53 pm

Thumper wrote:Returned from the Ecuadorian jungle to 3 inches of snow on top of 3 inches of ice that is harder than concrete. I managed to get both garage doors unfrozen and working so Mrs. T could head to work today. But I broke a shovel handle and a straight hoe in the process...It's good to be home!

Time to buy a flame thrower. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:20 pm

Yeah, should have gone with the flamethrower. (See my moan in BMR).
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:12 am

Saw an article that the western U.S. is in an unprecedented once in twelve hundred years drought. And California is leading the way with the worst drought conditions since 1934. I suspect the fire season this year is going to be another record breaker. I may wind up being glad we moved to Buffalo.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:13 am

Thumper wrote:Yeah, should have gone with the flamethrower. (See my moan in BMR).

I saw it. Now, if I were the type to say "I told you so" this would be about the time I would be saying it. roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:52 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Saw an article that the western U.S. is in an unprecedented once in twelve hundred years drought. And California is leading the way with the worst drought conditions since 1934. I suspect the fire season this year is going to be another record breaker. I may wind up being glad we moved to Buffalo.

Yeah it's so strange because I guess December hit records in amount of snow, and it just... hasn't since then? We were thinking of going skiing out West for a few days this year but at the current rate I think we are going to finally head to the Yucatan instead (bc neither of us has been, and it's about the same amount of flying time from here as Colorado anyway...)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:17 pm

Thanks for not saying I told ya so...
So torrential downpours yesterday melted most of the residual ice including the patch that assaulted me. Flooded most of my yard, you could hear whitewater in the back creek. The temps were over 50 the last two days. Then the temps dropped down into the 20's last night and started snowing again. This time only a mini ice storm. Yea, fun stuff.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:41 pm

I don't know if it is normal for Buffalo but we got enough snow two days ago that I was seriously thinking about breaking out the snow blower. The kids played outside most of the day yesterday. Our boy made a small snow man. Yes, really a small one. It was probably only 24" high. He had good round base and a second ball that was the head. No waist. Oh, and the wind was blowing so bad that my Daughter and SIL actually went off roading accidentally. :lol: It was a white out. And then today...It's 46F and the snow is melting like crazy. Erie County has flood warnings. :o
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:34 pm

Hey, my mom always told me as a kid that European snowmen are made just as you described with no waist. You kid is just cosmopolitan. :mrgreen:
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:51 pm

My office window is open right now because it's so nice out, on February 23, in Boston. I am so confused right now.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:43 pm

62F yesterday
31F today
Ice storm on the way...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:08 am

Rommie wrote:Hey, my mom always told me as a kid that European snowmen are made just as you described with no waist. You kid is just cosmopolitan. :mrgreen:

roll: roll: roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:13 pm

30F Monday and Tuesday morning. 80F, sunny and breezy Wednesday. Wind and plummeting temps yesterday. 30F windy, and multiple snow showers today. I'm dizzy, I think I need to get off.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around