The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:47 pm

I shoveled an inch and a half Friday night when I got home, another inch or two Saturday. Me and the dog had fun. But my back hurts today because I am old, I guess. We got more snow than in the city, most places I saw only had a dusting. That didn't stop us from using tons more brine and salt. My blue truck is a complete grey mess. Southeast Ohio got more. A buddy of mine headed to the Charlstown WV area yesterday to dig out his mother-in-law. Apparently spent a good deal of time just digging out his Jeep as he was trying to get to her house. I guess there was 20 or so inches there.

For the record, I couldn't imagine anything much more fun than a 30 or 40 inch snow storm.

Oh it will all melt by tomorrow BTW. (edit)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Thumper wrote:For the record, I couldn't imagine anything much more fun than a 30 or 40 inch snow storm.

Oh it will all melt by tomorrow BTW. (edit)

Just enough to keep the sledding hills and the cross country trails covered, and the ice rinks frozen, is fine with me!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:34 pm

That's all I really need too. Beautiful white snow cover for several months to keep the mud frozen and hidden.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Welcome back, mud, we hardly missed you.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:28 pm

65 degrees on January 31. Walking through the yard was like trying to walk across a big pan of chocolate pudding.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:05 pm

Thumper wrote:65 degrees on January 31. Walking through the yard was like trying to walk across a big pan of chocolate pudding.

Oh, I love chocolate pudding, but not as a ground cover.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Gale force winds last night, downpours and flooding this morning. My yard looks like an areial view of Minnesota. Also, the driveway is topped by water again. I guess that tile problem didn't fix itself. It almost 60 this morning. Snow expected tonight....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm

10" of snowfall last night! :cheer: That should last us.

It started around 1pm yesterday and the heaviest snowfall was during the evening commute. Some area schools had early release so their buses could get on the road before plows came through. But nothing is closed today.* Buster's bus was less than 2 minutes late.

*Only in rural Minnesota. Ususally when storms like this come through we are on the northern end, and it's much stronger in southern MN. It's mostly prairie there, so the blizzard conditions are much worse and they close down highways during the storm, not just schools. However, most schools there are on 2 hour delays, not closed.

I love my state.
Last edited by pumpkinpi on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Swift » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:04 pm

^Nice.
Heard about close to a foot of snow in MN after I posted this morning.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:56 pm

So far this winter, I have only had to shovel once or twice. A couple of times all that was required was throwing down some salt. Earlier this week, the temp hit 14C, but has returned to hovering around freezing since. We are supposed to get some snow in the coming week, but looks like it won't be much of an accumulation, temp to drop into the minus teens C.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:43 pm

55 and sunny all weekend. Supposed to snow tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm

It was especially brutal in Southern California when I did my military week-end the 6 and 7th. It got up to 82 on Sunday. I had to use the air conditioner in the car. It was brutal I tell you! :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Apparently 2 inches of snow in 36 hours is a catastrophe in waiting. They've called out all the forces. I'm scheduled for 12 hour plow shifts overnight, the next two nights. I've told my regular co-workers and my family I'll reintroduce myself near the end of the week. Wee.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Our 10" of snowfall last Tuesday quickly turned into a couple inches of crusty mush. This made our intended snow activity day a dud, with worn bare sledding hills and melting ice rinks. This is more like it is in Maryland, not MN. That 30" from 3 weeks ago? Mostly gone in my parents' yard.

We did make the most of it at home by building a transmorgafied triops snowfrog and the beginnings of an "eggloo."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pumpkinpi

Postby code monkey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:15 pm

what beautiful children! (the snow frog and eggloo aren't bad either.)

I remember our first snowfall in Oregon. Michael was out of town and Elliot ran over to me, very excited - mom, let's build a snow monster! I really didn't want to budge but who could resist? it was enormous and had 3 heads and 7 tails as I recall.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Got about 4 times the snow that was predicted, at least at my house. Yesterday, the radio kept saying "scattered flurries" today with further accumulations "of less than an inch." We got at least 3 while I plowed, it was snowing hard when I got home and I plowed about a foot off my drive when I got home. It's beautiful.

My ODOT plowing experience sucked though. First my truck broke, by the time I made it back out to my route with a spare, it was rush hour. You can't treat or plow in a traffic jam. Which was of course, my fault. The heaviest snow seemed to come down right at morning rush both days, which is the hardest to deal with. After working midnight to noon two days in a row, I'm not real sure what day it is. Temps in 50's on Super Bowl Sunday, 6 this morning.

I wanted to build an eggloo or snow monster a couple of days ago when I got home, but I had to go to bed so I could get back up at 10:30p....Glad someone got to build something. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Thumper wrote:
I wanted to build an eggloo or snow monster a couple of days ago when I got home, but I had to go to bed so I could get back up at 10:30p....Glad someone got to build something. :P

:mrgreen:

It was a nose-crunching morning! That means so cold it makes your boogers freeze. I've never heard it called that, but I love it!

No crunching for me, though. I dressed appropriately--the only things visible were my eyes. It was about 5F this morning. We might still have our coldest morning ahead of us! -15 forecast for Saturday. Thank goodness I can sleep in until it warms up.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Looks like it might go down to 3 tomorrow but that's it. Then it will warm back up. No negatives in the forecast. But we'll be chasing the cold air East. We're heading to Pittsburgh Sunday for a college visit.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Thumper wrote:Looks like it might go down to 3 tomorrow but that's it. Then it will warm back up. No negatives in the forecast. But we'll be chasing the cold air East. We're heading to Pittsburgh Sunday for a college visit.

College visit. Whoa. How did that happen?
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Thumper wrote:Looks like it might go down to 3 tomorrow but that's it. Then it will warm back up. No negatives in the forecast. But we'll be chasing the cold air East. We're heading to Pittsburgh Sunday for a college visit.

College visit. Whoa. How did that happen?
You'll hear it from others and probably shrug, "Yeah right, Old Timer." But it really does go fast. Try to enjoy every second. I realized looking at the pictures of the snow monster and the eggloo, that The Kid will never again want to build a snow fort with me.

Only got down to 14 this morning, but the temp is still dropping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:31 pm

Got up to the 20's Sunday. Weather in Pittsburgh was cloudy but warm, temps in the 20's-30's. An inch was waiting for us when we got home last night. A couple wet inches fell overnight, heavy wet snow. All he|| has apparently broken loose. All schools are closed, my county is under a "Level 2 Snow Emergency" whatever that means. My commute was non eventful except for all the slow cars constantly hitting their brakes.

No offense to anyone here, but when did we become Atlanta?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Thumper wrote:Got up to the 20's Sunday. Weather in Pittsburgh was cloudy but warm, temps in the 20's-30's. An inch was waiting for us when we got home last night. A couple wet inches fell overnight, heavy wet snow. All he|| has apparently broken loose. All schools are closed, my county is under a "Level 2 Snow Emergency" whatever that means. My commute was non eventful except for all the slow cars constantly hitting their brakes.

Reverse migration?
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:42 pm

Thumper wrote:Got up to the 20's Sunday. Weather in Pittsburgh was cloudy but warm, temps in the 20's-30's. An inch was waiting for us when we got home last night. A couple wet inches fell overnight, heavy wet snow. All he|| has apparently broken loose. All schools are closed, my county is under a "Level 2 Snow Emergency" whatever that means. My commute was non eventful except for all the slow cars constantly hitting their brakes.

oh please, thumper. during our years in Columbus, Michael and I marveled at the residents who, every single year, seemed to be stunned by the appearance of snow and who never seemed to accept the fact that this was a part of winter, much less master driving in it.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Well, they're still here. And last night, before the snow started, my county was at a Level 1 Snow Emergency. Roads were damp, temps above freezing, and there was fog. It's not just "bad drivers," officials are telling us at every turn, that every weather event is an emergency situation.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around