The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:36 am

Thumper wrote:Well, they're still here. And last night, before the snow started, my county was at a Level 1 Snow Emergency. Roads were damp, temps above freezing, and there was fog. It's not just "bad drivers," officials are telling us at every turn, that every weather event is an emergency situation.

No one wants to be like the guys who poo poo'd the weather report and then had to explain why they were totally unprepared. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Nobody can be trusted to think for themselves anymore. If the weather is icky, and you don't have to go out, stay home and build an eggloo with your kids. If you do have to go out, be prepared and drive carefully. My county is apparently still under a "Level 1 Snow Emergency."
This morning, every road I was on, was dry. There was no wind. There really couldn't be any blowing and drifting because the snow came down so wet yesterday. Two freeway ramps I was on could have used some tuning up, but they were actually in Columbus, not my county. And I'll repeat, my county was Level 1 Sunday at 6:00pm BEFORE any snow fell and the temps were above freezing. So no snow, no drifting, and no icing.
Rant over...After the dog and I shoveled the walks and fed the birds and deer, we built a snow monster. Almos got The Kid to come out and help, but alas, she had alot of homework. Snow days don't mean no assignments with the internet around.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Thumper wrote:.... my county is under a "Level 2 Snow Emergency" whatever that means...

I believe that means you may eat your pets, but only if they are small (under 2 kg). And you can hide under the bed, but your legs have to stick out.

At level 4 the Governor will board the mothership, while the rest of us are required to dig holes in the ground, jump in, and cover ourselves with plastic wrap.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Thumper wrote:No offense to anyone here, but when did we become Atlanta?

Harrumph.

You're still a poor imitation of Atlanta when it comes to winter panic. We declare a Level 1 Snow Emergency when the movie The Day After Tomorrow runs on AMC in July.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:51 pm

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:No offense to anyone here, but when did we become Atlanta?

Harrumph.

You're still a poor imitation of Atlanta when it comes to winter panic. We declare a Level 1 Snow Emergency when the movie The Day After Tomorrow runs on AMC in July.
:rofl:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote:.... my county is under a "Level 2 Snow Emergency" whatever that means...

I believe that means you may eat your pets, but only if they are small (under 2 kg). And you can hide under the bed, but your legs have to stick out.

At level 4 the Governor will board the mothership, while the rest of us are required to dig holes in the ground, jump in, and cover ourselves with plastic wrap.
We have a governor??? Last I saw we have a guy flitting around the country trying to impersonate Trump. Whooops, he's my boss. Nevermind.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:

We have a governor??? Last I saw we have a guy flitting around the country trying to impersonate Trump. Whooops, he's my boss. Nevermind.

Actually, I'll give Kasich credit for being the sanest one of the lot of Republican candidates. I recognize that is a very dubious compliment, compared to Trump and Cruz. But I think Kasich is actually a fairly reasonable guy. I don't agree with many of his positions, but he isn't just a crazy or a clown.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Swift wrote:Actually, I'll give Kasich credit for being the sanest one of the lot of Republican candidates. I recognize that is a very dubious compliment, compared to Trump and Cruz. But I think Kasich is actually a fairly reasonable guy. I don't agree with many of his positions, but he isn't just a crazy or a clown.

Perhaps like the Republicans of days past - you may not agree with his policies and solutions but at least he's sincere in his own beliefs. Mostly. He is running for president so is required to occasionally say stupid things and pander to the base.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Actually, was talking with a very liberal friend of mine and he agreed that the Gov is the only person on the repub stage that he could even take seriously. I think he's terrible gov, a terrible boss, and a big hypocrite.
But that's just me.
Cripes I derailed the weather thread.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:53 pm

To get back on: The foot of snow at my place is doomed, going up to the 50's today and tomorrow. It is going to be soo so unbelievably muddy. At least the sun is out today. And I just got acclimated to being outside in the 30's without a coat. Back to square one.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:48 am

Snowfrog no more.
If you look closely you can see its carrot nose in front of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 pm

That was us on Friday, still a tiny piece of the monster on Saturday. Nothing but mud by yesterday. Back down below 30 this morning. Lots of rain expected Wednesday. Yay.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Started raining late last night. I had one little mound of snow left over from shoveling. Pouring this morning. My front yard is a lake. I'm not talking about way up by the road where it attracts flocks of ducks and you could probably float a canoe. I'm talking 15 feet out my window where I feed the song birds and build the snow monsters. Sump pump is running constantly. Supposed to switch over to snow tonight and some places will get 3 inches. It's going up to 60F today...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Noah! I need you to build an ark. And stop asking what a cubit is! :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Almost 60 yesterday and pouring, went to bed it was 45, woke up it was 35. Beautiful pools in the yard surrounded by snow topped grass. A whiteout driving to work, but the pavement is so warm it's just wet. Lots of terrified winter drivers essentially driving in the rain. Temps due to continue to fall with ONE WHOLE ENTIRE INCH of snow predicted. I would try to make an off color/bad taste joke but can't figure out how to phrase it without getting in trouble with the net nanny.
Maybe this will suffice
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:37 pm

One of my favorite lines. That and "Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure".

Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Swift wrote:

One of my favorite lines. That and "Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure".
(Mrs. T and I watched this movie on our wedding night...)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:

(Mrs. T and I watched this movie on our wedding night...)

I guess we should be thankful you didn't name your daughter "Newt".

Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

70 and sunny and beautiful Sunday. Down to the 20's Tue and Wed. Salted roads all night last night as 2" inches of snow fell and the temps were hovering around freezing. Supposed to spit again tomorrow. Then temps go back up to 70 by early next week.

We've got tulips, crocuses, and daffodils coming up, covered now in ice and snow. I bet they're confused.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:42 pm

I have Spring Fever. That is all.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 am

Despite threats, the weather has been glorious in both Seattle and Portland. Soon to change, but this has been wonderful.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Back in OH, the grass is growing, the wind is blowing, the sticks are falling.
The sticks need picked up, the yard needs rolled and mowed, the mowers need serviced and prepped, the drive needs Rounded Up.
The winter To Do List needs pushed to next winter.

I've been here before.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby gethen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:24 am

We got 6-8 inches or so of heavy wet snow over the last 24 hours, and some freezing rain from time to time. That may be why there are currently at least a dozen whitetail deer on the edge of our back yard scratching in the snow for last year's acorns. Most are does with yearling fawns, but there are a couple of young bucks hanging around the edges as well. Fun to watch now, but a few weeks and they will be munching on my hostas and woodbine. Enjoy while you can, deer.
gethen

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:28 am

Wow, your deer still have their antlers? That's pretty late, at least around here.
You know how to keep the deer off your hostas...right?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around