What's up?

Re: What's up?

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Brite and I tease each other over the seat settings. I have to adjust it back before I can even get in the car when I drive hers. And I mess up the mirrors too! :P
Mrs. T's current car has memory for 2 driver positions, seat and mirrors. It is very convenient. Except I accidentally hit the button to put it to her position while I was driving. I crushed myself into the roof and steering wheel. :roll:

She prefers to drive most of the time. We almost always take her car. I don't mind. I used to drive so much at work that I hated to drive over the weekends, so she happily took over. Works for both of us except if I complain about her driving. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:15 pm

A number of years ago, I lost hearing in one ear. The other ear works really well and I've learned to live with the condition. The big problem, as you can imagine, is I have difficulty locating sounds. If the sound is more or less continuous, I can turn my head or my whole body and do a decent job of locating. Other times, if I'm with my wife (whose hearing is still binaural but weak), I'll hear something and she'll locate it. That worked most significantly when we walked close to a coiled rattlesnake in Death Valley.

Last night, one of the many smoke/CO detectors started complaining. Not alarming - just doing that one shrill beep per minute thing when there's a fault or a low battery. We have eight detectors within hearing range of the living room. The beeps are piercing, so they travel well (as designed). Thing is, my wife is traveling at the moment, so there I was by myself trying to determine which of those damned things was going off. It took about twenty minutes. Turned out to be the kitchen CO detector.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm

geonuc wrote:A number of years ago, I lost hearing in one ear. The other ear works really well and I've learned to live with the condition. The big problem, as you can imagine, is I have difficulty locating sounds. If the sound is more or less continuous, I can turn my head or my whole body and do a decent job of locating. Other times, if I'm with my wife (whose hearing is still binaural but weak), I'll hear something and she'll locate it. That worked most significantly when we walked close to a coiled rattlesnake in Death Valley.

Last night, one of the many smoke/CO detectors started complaining. Not alarming - just doing that one shrill beep per minute thing when there's a fault or a low battery. We have eight detectors within hearing range of the living room. The beeps are piercing, so they travel well (as designed). Thing is, my wife is traveling at the moment, so there I was by myself trying to determine which of those damned things was going off. It took about twenty minutes. Turned out to be the kitchen CO detector.

Ugh! That's hard even with two working ears.

Is it just me, or do those low battery signals always seem to happen in the middle of the night?
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Yeah, seems it's often the middle of the night. This one was unusual because I was still up.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

I have occasionally just changed every battery in every device to be sure that none of them chirp again for awhile.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I have occasionally just changed every battery in every device to be sure that none of them chirp again for awhile.

That strategy would have failed this time. The CO detector is AC-powered with no backup battery.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm

I chased a beep around a couple of weeks ago, It was the basement smoke detector. I'd stop and listen and hear nothing. Then go back to what I was doing and it would beep.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:37 pm

This took an hour, Can anyone see Dude?

IMG_2287TT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:41 pm

IMG_2298TT.jpg

Dude and Dax official Christmas Photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:03 pm

Dude looks unimpressed.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm

The first one was at the end of a busy day and he wanted to go beddy bye. He's usually either ON or OFF. He's all play and talkative or he's asleep. Just make a move like you're putting shoes or a coat on and he's barkedy bark and ready for you to throw a toy repeatedly until you need Tommy John surgery. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 pm

I can see Dude. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Yea!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:46 pm

So it's kind of weird, but I started off this month with a period of... malaise? Like, dragging my feet a little going to work because I didn't feel like I was going anywhere with the project, that sort of thing.

Then I thought of something, looked at the calendar, and went "aha, bingo." Four months in. You see, I read somewhere that when you're an expat who moves abroad to a new job after the first month or two you hit a period where things aren't going as well and you feel homesick a bit etc, then by six months you've found your new normal. I realized I was feeling a little homesick for Toronto, so yeah, might be my country originally but I'm in the adjustment slump, so just gotta power through it.

Weird how the mind works sometimes though.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:11 am

Yes, it is. :rockon:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Haha thanks. Feeling better once I recognized it. I think the other trick was VLA proposals were due today and I definitely got more stressed about that than I should have, because it's the first thing I've done in this group that other people (aka the boss) were going to read and give feedback on. So once that got out, I obviously calmed down!

Thing two was I think I wasn't going to breathe really easy until I got my first project done, because technically you can be let go after a year for inadequate performance as a postdoc. (Which I don't think happens much at a place like Harvard due to the people they get, but definitely happened in Amsterdam.) Now I'm almost done with the analysis, and starting to write it up, with the aim of having a paper draft sometime in March. And I know there's just no universe in which a paper in your first six months isn't really good, so eff that worry.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:41 pm

No matter how good you are that probation period thing can be a bit anxiety-inducing the first time or two you do it.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:05 pm

So as a way to engage myself in something useful in my retirement, I applied for a US Census job. I'm accepted! Providing I pass a background check.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm

geonuc wrote:So as a way to engage myself in something useful in my retirement, I applied for a US Census job. I'm accepted! Providing I pass a background check.

I thought you were engaged in golf and beer taster?
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:00 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:So as a way to engage myself in something useful in my retirement, I applied for a US Census job. I'm accepted! Providing I pass a background check.

I thought you were engaged in golf and beer taster?

Goddam local golf course shut down and I'll bet the bars are going to be ordered shut, too. Plus, those two things don't pay.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby code monkey » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 pm

geonuc wrote:Goddam local golf course shut down and I'll bet the bars are going to be ordered shut, too. Plus, those two things don't pay.

what!? you haven't put a putting green in your yard? or found a place for a driving range?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm

code monkey wrote:
geonuc wrote:Goddam local golf course shut down and I'll bet the bars are going to be ordered shut, too. Plus, those two things don't pay.

what!? you haven't put a putting green in your yard? or found a place for a driving range?

The only driving ranges around here are associated with the golf courses. Some courses are still open, so when this snow clears out, I may be able to play.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Cool! Are you gonna go knock on doors when the time comes then?

Funny thing, we already got and returned our census forms online (that was nice). They asked us at the time to say who would be living in the house on April 1. And... we are no longer living in the house as of a few weeks! I guess they don't mean "vacation" or whatever this counts as now.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Rommie wrote:

Funny thing, we already got and returned our census forms online (that was nice). They asked us at the time to say who would be living in the house on April 1. And... we are no longer living in the house as of a few weeks! I guess they don't mean "vacation" or whatever this counts as now.

Our paper copy came in the mail yesterday. I'm excited to fill it out with my kids as part of their "home school" lessons!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 am

Rommie wrote:

Yeah, that's the job - knocking on doors. I'm now considering turning it down. Two reasons: I'm immune-compromised and over 60, and I think there's probably a whole lot of out-of-work restaurant folks around here that would appreciate the job.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around