The Moon

Re: The Moon

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Swift wrote:Cool

I did have nice views of la bella Luna and Mr. Jove this morning, but no halos, rings, nor owls.

I like those names. I've been teaching my kids how to spot "Mr. Moon, Lady Venus, Sir Mars, and King Jupiter."

and also about mr mono.....but that's for another thread.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Swift » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 am

pumpkinpi wrote:
Swift wrote:Cool

I did have nice views of la bella Luna and Mr. Jove this morning, but no halos, rings, nor owls.

I like those names. I've been teaching my kids how to spot "Mr. Moon, Lady Venus, Sir Mars, and King Jupiter."

and also about mr mono.....but that's for another thread.

I think this scene from Moonstruck got me using "La Bella Luna".
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby cid » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Pink Floyd's got nothing on reality...
NASA's new animation of The Other Side of The Moon.

...wow... :shock:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:01 pm

As the waning, thinning crescent Moon "moves" slowly east in the mornings, it's getting closer to a gaggle of planets. Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus are all in the predawn sky. I haven't actually glimpsed Mercury this time around. I don't have a good place to view the Eastern horizon from my place. Plus, it's 5:30 am. I'm just stumbling out of the house toward the garage and the truck. I do much better with "dusk" viewing. :P

Also, to the north, The Big Dipper is standing on end. It's been quiet clear here in the mornings and had some pretty nice, albeit brief, views before starting the daily commute.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am

Awesome Moon this morning. Just an awesome Moon. It seems that when it's time for someone I love to leave the Earth, a big bright friendly Moon is there to light the way.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Thumper wrote:Awesome Moon this morning. Just an awesome Moon. It seems that when it's time for someone I love to leave the Earth, a big bright friendly Moon is there to light the way.

I have always enjoyed moonlight. It seems peaceful and gentle. And it invites you to share your secrets with it.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 pm

You have secrets?
:P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Thumper wrote:You have secrets?
:P

I said "your secrets". ;) :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Yeah, only the Moon has any interest in my secrets...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am

Beautiful toenail moon hanging in the pre dawn glow this morning. It's been so cloudy lately that I haven't been able to see anything. I've got a re-occurring alarm reminding me to look for Mercury at dusk. Probably too late now. It transits the sun on Monday. Gonna try to look for that. If only clear skies...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu May 05, 2016 3:16 am

We just got a new telescope and solar filter at work, and the transit will be our first test!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu May 05, 2016 11:33 am

pumpkinpi wrote:We just got a new telescope and solar filter at work, and the transit will be our first test!
It'll have to be my big binocs with the twin solar filters pointing out of the office window. Doesn't seem like much, but it worked great for the Venus transit. This will obviously be more difficult to see due to the relative sizes. We get partially very clear skies very intermittently, but anytime I need a clear sky at a certain location, nope. I'm afraid to even look at the end of the 5 day forecast.

Good luck to you guys!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu May 05, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm taking Monday off. One of the local park systems has an Observatory Park, and they will be doing an all day transit program. They did a nice program for the last one. Fingers crossed for the weather

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Fri May 06, 2016 11:43 am

Swift wrote:Fingers crossed for the weather
Aww, that made me think of something Charlie used to say.
Thanks.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 am

I didn't realize how much I relied on Sky and Telescope's Interactive Star Chart (Which appears to not work on most computers I have access to anymore.) It was very handy for me. You input your exact location and then you can scroll through time and get a full sky and horizon view of most popular observing topics. And with a planet like Mercury, I could scroll through days at a certain time and see on which date it would be the highest in the sky. I went out to look for it last night at dusk. I broke out the binocs in preparation for Monday. But I had no idea if it would even be visible yesterday. It's obviously getting closer and closer to the Sun every day.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon May 09, 2016 11:26 am

Looks like I just wasn't meant to see Mercury transit. :(
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon May 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Thumper wrote:Looks like I just wasn't meant to see Mercury transit. :(

Well.... Dang! That sucks.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon May 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Socked in and rain through Friday....
Anybody else get a view?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon May 09, 2016 6:15 pm

I got a view for about an hour before clouds rolled in. We just got Sunspotters at work so I brought them out to our courtyard. There weren't many visitors being so early on the first day of finals, but I did supply some science and joy to a few professors and students who wandered by!

https://www.scientificsonline.com/product/sunspotter
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am

We incredibly had an awesome view of the Mercury transit in Amsterdam! Which is good because so far since I've been here I've been clouded out for the Venus transit and for a partial solar eclipse, so we were due for some good weather.

We'd set up some nice equipment on the soccer field so all the students passing by etc could stop for a gander, and had a nice event with it. There was a decently sized sunspot, and a surprising amount of detail with the hydrogen alpha filter, so that was fantastic.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Swift » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm

We had a pretty good view. We went to the local "Observatory Park" and they had some scopes set-up. The best views were where they were projecting the views on a screen. There was a fair number of high, thin clouds, but we saw Mercury, and the sunspot Rommie mentions (and an astronomy event triggered a question from my wife "how is Rommie doing?"). I couldn't get a decent photo of it.

I have to say the Mercury transit was a lot less impressive than the Venus transit a couple of years ago.

We also went for a hike in this park and the wildflowers were very nice.

By the time we got back from our hike (around 10:30), the clouds were starting to roll in, and it completely clouded over shortly after that.

Swift

Postby grapes » Tue May 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Thumper wrote:It'll have to be my big binocs with the twin solar filters pointing out of the office window. Doesn't seem like much, but it worked great for the Venus transit. This will obviously be more difficult to see due to the relative sizes.
Plus, Mercury is twice as far away, in addition to being less than half the radius as Venus
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Swift wrote:(and an astronomy event triggered a question from my wife "how is Rommie doing?")

:)

Stressed. Trying to not let it get to me, with various degrees of success and failure.

Tell your wife hi from me!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Swift » Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Rommie wrote:
Swift wrote:(and an astronomy event triggered a question from my wife "how is Rommie doing?")

:)

Stressed. Trying to not let it get to me, with various degrees of success and failure.

Tell your wife hi from me!

I will (tell her hi). I told her you were trying to finish up your dissertation, with the occasional time to stop and smell the tulips.

Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed May 11, 2016 11:54 am

I hope none of you take this the wrong way but, screw all you people. :P
Seriously, I'm glad somebody got to see it live. Here's to 2019. Oh, and in keeping with the thread title: Here's to next August for my best shot at a total solar eclipse. I'm going to Kentucky to try.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around