The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 pm

76 on Tuesday. Temps started falling and it started raining. It's been raining ever since, will rain all day, all day tomorrow, and most of Saturday. Currently 34. I heard some jack@ss on the radio complaining about the weather this morning. The same jack@ss that complains every time he sees a snowflake.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Thumper wrote:76 on Tuesday. Temps started falling and it started raining. It's been raining ever since, will rain all day, all day tomorrow, and most of Saturday. Currently 34. I heard some jack@ss on the radio complaining about the weather this morning. The same jack@ss that complains every time he sees a snowflake.

He must be a conservative. :lol: :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Rain rain rain. Roads and schools closed due to high water. The sun came out yesterday. I got scared but took the opportunity to hang my new Bluebird feeder. I schlopped out into the muck with my 8 foot ladder. It was only 7 feet when I got done hanging. as we sunk into the quicksand. I thought I saw a deer stuck in the back yard yesterday afternoon...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:48 pm

We continue to have a dryer than normal winter. Talk of another drought has already started being mentioned by the talking weather heads.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:50 pm

I was getting a little worried, 2 1/2 days without rain. But all is well, it's back for the next couple of days. Rivers haven't gone down yet. A big Amphitheater east of Cincy where I've seen some good concerts over the years is completely underwater, along with much of the riverfront downtown. 60 Tuesday and yesterday. Snow possible after the weekend.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:02 pm

We got freezing rain and hail this week. Right after I posted about it being dry. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:10 pm

As precipitation goes, those are drier than rain...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:53 pm

48 straight!!
Today marks the 48th month riding my bike at least 1 day. i put this in the weather thread because it is highly dependent on road conditions. I don't let cold stop me, only icy/slushy roads. Despite getting 2 6" snowfalls in a 72 hour period last week, it has warmed up enough to melt the streets clean! We still have a good 8-10" depth off the roads. It's fun biking by huge snowbanks.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm

8-) :cheers:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:26 pm

:cheer:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:56 pm

I like happy weather stories. Somebody's always posting doom and gloom in this forum...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Thumper wrote:I like happy weather stories. Somebody's always posting doom and gloom in this forum...

Yeah! I wonder why that is? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

It was a beautiful weekend for mid April.
After the rain stopped and the temps plummeted, it was clear and sunny all weekend. At night there were stars, and the Moon, and everything. It dried out just enough for me to get out on the yard, saw up a bunch of downed wood, stack some logs and burn alot of trash. I'm sore. *

Rain, freezing rain, and snow on tap for most of this week. That's about "normal" for this time of year.

* Happy Weather Comments.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm

It was 60 and sunny on Tuesday. Snowed a little on Wednesday. Snow and wreck filled morning rush Thursday. Temps were warm enough that it didn't stick to anything but my elevated back wood porch and front ramp. Almost an inch on those, nothing on anything else.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:51 am

We are starting to warm up. Our obligatory two weeks of spring before we launch into 100 degree weather is about the happen. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

Rain mixed with snow showers much of this week. Temps in the low 20's at night. This is the time of year even I might be ready for spring.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Daylight Saving Time + early meeting = following Jupiter, Scorpius, Mars, Saturn, and the Moon on my ride in this morning.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm

The local golf course is finally cleared of snow. The not-so-local course cleared a while ago. The only remnants of a snowy winter seem to be the sounds of studded tires on pavement. It was in the 60's yesterday and will be today. Yay! Maybe I should think about swapping out the winter tires (non-studded) on the Pathfinder.

Wait. What's that? Snow forecast on Tuesday and Wednesday!? Goddammit.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Planets in the sky? Not around here. Cloudy cloudy when it matters. I've been waiting and waiting for a Mercury-Venus party. Can't wait too long.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:48 straight!!
Today marks the 48th month riding my bike at least 1 day. i put this in the weather thread because it is highly dependent on road conditions. I don't let cold stop me, only icy/slushy roads. Despite getting 2 6" snowfalls in a 72 hour period last week, it has warmed up enough to melt the streets clean! We still have a good 8-10" depth off the roads. It's fun biking by huge snowbanks.
Well, it's not quite competing with PumpkinPi, BUT, I washed a bike in a 38 degree snow squall yesterday. :P The Kid rides her bike all over campus. Despite some professional work done on it over break as a Christmas gift, the rain, salt, and snow has taken it's toll on the bike. She brought it home before she headed off on a spring break trip. And before I adjust and lube it all up, I needed to give it a good bath. Yesterday was looking like my best bet. But it was cold.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:48 straight!!
Well, it's not quite competing with PumpkinPi, BUT, I washed a bike in a 38 degree snow squall yesterday. :P The Kid rides her bike all over campus. Despite some professional work done on it over break as a Christmas gift, the rain, salt, and snow has taken it's toll on the bike. She brought it home before she headed off on a spring break trip. And before I adjust and lube it all up, I needed to give it a good bath. Yesterday was looking like my best bet. But it was cold.

That's awesome about TK! I see lots of students biking year round and feel guilty when they don't make excuses about not riding.

It's chilly but clear and dry so I might make it a whole week biking. From my driveway to the museum door it's 5 minutes.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Yeah, she's wearing that bike out, but she's getting good use out of it. She said there were a couple times she went out to unlock it to go to class and it was basically frozen to the rack, so she'd give up and hop on an intercampus bus. Or run. :P
Unfortunately from my driveway to work is about a 2 hour bike ride...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:28 am

Surprise winter! Unless you've lived here for a while and have paid a little attention. We almost always get snow in March. We've had several little flurries and squalls. Yesterday it started snowing and didn't stop until after we got home after a show. Probably 2 inches at my house. But no one was out treating. All the crews are weary this time of year, and the overtime coffers are thin. So it was fend for yourself. It's nice and pretty and white, at least for the morning.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around