The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:26 am

Another 4 tenths Sunday night. I've got grass that's 8 inches tall that I cut Saturday. It's August.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby hap » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:13 pm

I wouldn't have any grass if I weren't watering the hell out of it.
hap

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:58 am

The only "watering" of my grass I've ever done is when I step out of the garage and don't feel like going all the way inside to use indoor plumbing.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Well, as long as you're going to have big fires, you might as well have the "Biggest Fire in Washington history."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Thumper wrote:I was actually thinking of starting a separate thread about the fires. I was wondering if you, Hap, code monkey, Brite, and SciFiFisher were close to any fires. Or do you know people affected by the fires or are familiar with the areas that are burning? My uncle (in Portland) sent me a link that showed locations, sizes, and % contained of all the fires in the West. There were ALOT. We're getting coverage in Ohio about major developments and of course the tragic deaths of the fire fighters. Back in college my Dad worked for the forest service and fought fires in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon.

For those of us in Sacramento it's been mostly affecting air quality. A few fires about 40 miles from us but the big ones are much farther out. My lawn went brown weeks ago about the time Governor Brown declared a state wide water reduction mandate. Not that my postage stamp yard will reduce the amount of water being used by much. But I wanted to do my part. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 am

Thumper wrote:The only "watering" of my grass I've ever done is when I step out of the garage and don't feel like going all the way inside to use indoor plumbing.

thanks for sharing.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby code monkey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:28 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:I was actually thinking of starting a separate thread about the fires. I was wondering if you, Hap, code monkey, Brite, and SciFiFisher were close to any fires. Or do you know people affected by the fires or are familiar with the areas that are burning? My uncle (in Portland) sent me a link that showed locations, sizes, and % contained of all the fires in the West. There were ALOT. We're getting coverage in Ohio about major developments and of course the tragic deaths of the fire fighters. Back in college my Dad worked for the forest service and fought fires in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon.

For those of us in Sacramento it's been mostly affecting air quality. A few fires about 40 miles from us but the big ones are much farther out. My lawn went brown weeks ago about the time Governor Brown declared a state wide water reduction mandate. Not that my postage stamp yard will reduce the amount of water being used by much. But I wanted to do my part. :P

the fire closest to me has been put out. the air was very smokey over the weekend. this did not stop me from running errands.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

code monkey

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 am

code monkey wrote:
Thumper wrote:The only "watering" of my grass I've ever done is when I step out of the garage and don't feel like going all the way inside to use indoor plumbing.

thanks for sharing.

Anytime...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Thumper wrote:
code monkey wrote:

thanks for sharing.

Anytime...

So that's why your avatar is shaking his leg.... :P
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:57 pm

:P

Somehow I've derailed a thread about weather and wildfires to one about public urination...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:31 am

Thumper wrote::P

Somehow I've derailed a thread about weather and wildfires to one about public urination...

don't give it another thought, thumper. we like you anyway.

code monkey

Postby geonuc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Thumper wrote::P

Somehow? This is FWIS. Threads naturally derail. It takes considerable effort to prevent derailment.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:45 pm

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:29 am

Sometimes that's how my day feels.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:55 am

Another inch Friday. Then it got cool. Actually down into the 40's one night with highs in the 60's a couple of days. Been about perfect the last couple days: low humidity, sunny, 70-lo 80's. I can take days like this all through the fall. Rain scheduled for the weekend again, almost on cue.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:54 pm

We have created a new "weather" category on the West Coast. It's called Smoke. As in today will be in the 90's with smoke for most of the week. Especially here in North CA for most of the week. If you have allergies, asthma, or COPD your ability to breathe just went down dramatically. :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 am

Nice.
Faked a big chance of rain Saturday. Two nice days in the upper 70's. Cool in the mornings. Won't be long, I might get to try out the new furnace.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, our big drought is over (sarcasm pointed at my California friends). After the wettest May-June-July on record here, we actually went 10-12 days without any rain, and a good month with just a little. The grass even tried to go dormant as it usually does here around August. Then we got well over an inch Tuesday. It rained so hard it knocked my rain gauge down, so I'm not really sure. Probably an inch and a half. It's much cooler on this side of the system and high temps are or will be down a good 15 degrees from September. With leaves turning and dropping, it's really starting to look and feel like fall. I used to really dislike fall, it meant the end of glorious summer vacation and the return to school. But last night, listening to the breeze rustle the drying leaves in the dark, I almost welcomed it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby brite » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:24 am

:wsv:
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:24 am

I said, "Almost." I believe you could qualify that as a "positive" post. :P
But hey, due to the aforementioned "drought," something happened that hasn't happened all year: I skipped a week of mowing!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby brite » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 pm

What is this “mowing” thing?? Don’t you have to have grass to do that??
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:48 pm

No shortage of grass around here, and with temps back up in the mid 70's and another half inch of rain Saturday, it's back to its growing ways.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby brite » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Fall seems to have fallen... unfortunately... that doesn’t mean that any rain has....
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 am

I'm not feeling good about the coming winter. I predict - without any rational basis whatsoever - lengthy power outages. So I'm buying a small generator and installing a transfer switch on the circuit to my furnace.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Got down into the 30s last night. Brrrr! Must've had frost further inland. Really unusual for here too, I can't remember such a cold so early.

But then, it's been a cold year. I read one of the few places on Earth that's colder than average in the past few months is the North Atlantic, leading to worries that the Gulf stream is going to start shutting down earlier than climate change models predicted. That'll be great. :roll:

We'll see what the rest of the season brings... to be fair, if it's actually cold enough for the canals to freeze again much will be forgiven on my end, but if it's just cold and crappy I'm going to be super depressed this winter.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around