The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Thumper wrote:I think he was suggesting they might be a tad warmer than a ditch on the side of the road. ;)
We almost froze to death in O'hare when we got the spend a free night in the terminal one July evening. I was pulling newspaper out of the trash bins to cover us up. Our luggage was unavailable, we were wearing shorts and t shirts. The hotel voucher we finally got from the airline wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. The tile floor was cool, the A/C was cranked in prep for the crowds coming the next morning. Had to be a bout 50 in there.

50 is warm. In fact, it's 48 degrees here and I still haven't broke out the jacket. Maybe if I were going to actually be in it for longer than it takes to warm up the car... :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Or laying on a concrete floor in a breezy terminal... I'll walk outside with shorts on when it's 10F, but I come right back in after fetching something from the garage....
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm

So it's been the coldest fall on record here in Toronto, and cloudy 80% of the time. Doesn't bode well for winter!

I though am pretty excited about the fact that the ski hills up north are already open. One in the snow belt already is like 2/3 open, pretty unprecedented this early, so might have to make the drive Sunday to check it out. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

I saw stars this morning, and the Sun a little later. First time this month. Of course that means that it is fairly cold today.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Nice and cool the last 4-5 days and finally dry for a few days. The tiny bit of snow that we got last week is still there in the shady places. I'm getting acclimated again. Going up to the mid 40's later in the week and of course: rain. But it's been nice and crisp since Thursday night.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:11 pm

It's warmed up a bit here after a long string of subzero lows. And most of the snow has melted in the city, leaving only patches on the lee side of trees and buildings.

I need to put the BRZ into winter hibernation and have been waiting for the snow to melt off of it before I can put the car cover on.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Happy Solstice!
It's below freezing here, but it's been warm enough for a while that the roads are virtually ice-free so I got my December bike ride in! I think I'm at 57 months straight.

My favorite thing about the solstice is that days start getting longer again! I chose to wait until it was light enough to bike in so I worked from home for an hour or so. Even with a vest and lights I don't feel safe around commuters in the dark.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:06 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Happy Solstice!
It's below freezing here, but it's been warm enough for a while that the roads are virtually ice-free so I got my December bike ride in! I think I'm at 57 months straight.
About 42 here, that's the predicted highs for the next week or so. Dropping down below freezing at night. Lots of rain. If we're lucky, at least it might not rain on Christmas day. The sun make peek out briefly a time or two in the next two weeks but that's about it.
pumpkinpi wrote:My favorite thing about the solstice is that days start getting longer again! I chose to wait until it was light enough to bike in so I worked from home for an hour or so. Even with a vest and lights I don't feel safe around commuters in the dark.
Congrats on the bike ride! And I agree with your strategy.
Happy Solstice back to you and everyone else.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm

I was going to post this in another thread because it makes no sense in this one. Then I remembered where we are.

Thumper, your "OH - IO" under your avatar made me think of this ditty that for some reason I learned when I was little: "It's high in the middle and round on the ends. O---HI---O." Now I can't get it out of my head!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Sorry...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Well Columbus OH set a yearly precipitation record for 2018. Wettest year ever, I guess. It's currently partly sunny, going up to 55 this afternoon. Then the temp starts to go down and is supposed to continue to go down steadily for the next 36-48 hours until it gets down to 22F. So my acclimatization is completely shot, again.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

We have been getting some badly needed rain for the last few days. I have not heard of any records being set.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

I heard Columbus "broke the precipitation record" for 2018. All I could find was that we had over 55 inches of rain and that was the wettest since 1878. It was 60 yesterday at 5:00pm, 42 when I went to bed, 32 when I got up. It's now 27 on the way down to 22 at sunrise tomorrow morning. It was windy as all get out yesterday. Surprisingly cloudy today considering the temp drops. So it's flurrying.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:27 pm

20 and crisp clear sky this morning. Venus was stunning. We got close to an inch of snow overnight. So it was perfect weather, 2 and a half weeks late. By the time I got to town, it was snowing hard. Apparently there are two weather models out there, one predicts 3 inches, the other model predicts 23. So the local TV weather guy put them both out there to cover his butt. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm

It's not a bad time to be stuck inside. Since Tuesday night it's been bitter cold with gusty winds. To top it off (or not) there's no snow so you can't do most of the enjoyable winter activities.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:01 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:...so you can't do most of the enjoyable winter activities.
Take down outdoor Christmas lights? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm

It did almost exactly what they said it would. It started snowing Saturday morning, and slowly continued until about noon Sunday. Depending on where you were located, predictions were 2-4 inches or 3-5. We got at least 7 at my house. We always get more than in town. It was beautiful, coating all the branches of the trees and bushes. Got my shoveling time in, the birds flocked to my feeders, deer hanging out everywhere.

We went curling on Friday and watched OSU beat Michigan in Hockey on Saturday. To top it off, our friends from high school who now live in FL were up so they got to enjoy the snow as well. It was a complete winter wonderland weekend.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:...so you can't do most of the enjoyable winter activities.
Take down outdoor Christmas lights? :P

Done. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Got everything down. But I have strings of lights everywhere that need wrapped up, stuffed in totes, and the totes stored back in the basement. Hopefully by the end of the month...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm

So I had a little trepidation with the Pacific Northwest in January, but I think I got a combination of lucky and just little fazes me after five Dutch winters. Weather was friggin' fine, especially in downtown where most of Seattle has covered sidewalks to walk under when it's raining. Then I decided to wrap it up by going skiing two days (well a day and a half by the time I got up there), and while Friday was somewhat acceptable, I somehow lucked out with arguably the best day of the winter for my full ski day. Blue skies, and I chose the ski area right next to Mount Rainier, so the views were unparalleled- you could see Mount Baker to the north, Mount Adams to the south. I overheard someone say on the first run how privileged anyone is who gets to ski on a day like that, and I 100% agree with the sentiment.

Then I came back to Toronto, and we are now going into the first serious deep freeze of the winter- maybe got up to 24F yesterday, which isn't bad, but by next weekend we won't get out of the teens. The bf who didn't really believe the doomsday prophecies about cold Canadian winter is getting concerned. Personally I'm like well, I was just planning to work on my thesis anyway.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Rommie wrote:So I had a little trepidation with the Pacific Northwest in January, but I think I got a combination of lucky and just little fazes me after five Dutch winters. Weather was friggin' fine, especially in downtown where most of Seattle has covered sidewalks to walk under when it's raining. Then I decided to wrap it up by going skiing two days (well a day and a half by the time I got up there), and while Friday was somewhat acceptable, I somehow lucked out with arguably the best day of the winter for my full ski day. Blue skies, and I chose the ski area right next to Mount Rainier, so the views were unparalleled- you could see Mount Baker to the north, Mount Adams to the south. I overheard someone say on the first run how privileged anyone is who gets to ski on a day like that, and I 100% agree with the sentiment.

Then I came back to Toronto, and we are now going into the first serious deep freeze of the winter- maybe got up to 24F yesterday, which isn't bad, but by next weekend we won't get out of the teens. The bf who didn't really believe the doomsday prophecies about cold Canadian winter is getting concerned. Personally I'm like well, I was just planning to work on my thesis anyway.

Be sure to stock up on hot cocoa.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

12 at the house, 16 downtown, and....Ice Fog? It's not snowing, sleeting or blowing, but visibility was down to 100 feet in some areas. Sleet and freezing rain on tap for later in the week, then possibly another 4-5 inches of snow. I'll believe it when I see it. I can't get this lucky 2 weekends in a row!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Freezing rain and drizzle, but temps staying above freezing. A couple inches predicted for tomorrow. It's supposed to get above freezing the next 3 days. Then an ice and snow storm scheduled for Saturday. That will make tree cutting and wood splitting day interesting...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Lovely clear sky this morning, revealing the conjunction of Venus, Jupiter, and Antares.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around