The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Ditto.
I don't know how people live with 90+ days as the norm all summer.
Of course, they are the ones who say I don't know how people live with 20- days all summer! To each their own.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:54 pm

93-96 Yesterday through Sunday until a rain front comes through.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:27 am

I guess this can all be weather. Sunday, I was hotter and sweatier that I can ever remember. I was bucking up and loading wood from a downed tree in my In Law's yard. As I sat on my tailgate gasping for breath, you wouldn't know that I hadn't just jumped out of a swimming pool. It was alarming how much fluid was leaving my body. 48 hours later, I was getting the chills on my mower and had to put a jacket on before I finished. Temps have finally gotten down into the 50's at night and we are finally able to open the windows. Temps expected to go back up near 90 this weekend...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:40 am

Something I heard this week about all the hot weather: Just think in 5-10 years we will be remembering this as the cooler year.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Yahtzee!

"Grampa, tell me again about the olden days when you could go outside."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:45 pm

The heat wave in Europe is currently relentless. Pretty much all countries went over 40C (104F) which never happened before, ever.

The real difference though in Europe is no one has AC, or often even a fan. Hell, Hungary sucks because every year during the inevitable multi-week heat wave all the old ladies think a draft will give you a cold, so close all the doors and windows and draw the curtains lest there be even a slight breeze. Meanwhile I'm like come on, I would rather just get a cold over sweating this much!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Rommie wrote:The heat wave in Europe is currently relentless. Pretty much all countries went over 40C (104F) which never happened before, ever.

The real difference though in Europe is no one has AC, or often even a fan. Hell, Hungary sucks because every year during the inevitable multi-week heat wave all the old ladies think a draft will give you a cold, so close all the doors and windows and draw the curtains lest there be even a slight breeze. Meanwhile I'm like come on, I would rather just get a cold over sweating this much!

It's amazing how the fear of "vapors" persists even into the 21st century.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Temps almost dipped below 70 this morning. I opened a couple windows when I got up. Trouble is, it's still hot when we go to bed, and the house doesn't cool much overnight even if the windows are open and the outside temps drop. We're supposed to get temps down into the low 60's for the next couple of weeks. But highs will be in the mid 80's. First rain today in quite a while. Even after the world's wettest spring, we need some precipitation.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

So fall has tried to come several times in the last month. We have seen frost and temps in the 30's. A couple weeks ago, summer gave it another gasp and we had temps back in the 90's for several days. Mrs. T turned the air back on. Then just a few days later the lows were in the 30's and the highs only in the 50's. Mrs. T asked me to turn the furnace on...
Ohio. :roll:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Thumper wrote:So fall has tried to come several times in the last month. We have seen frost and temps in the 30's. A couple weeks ago, summer gave it another gasp and we had temps back in the 90's for several days. Mrs. T turned the air back on. Then just a few days later the lows were in the 30's and the highs only in the 50's. Mrs. T asked me to turn the furnace on...
Ohio. :roll:

90's! Holy schmoly. We were happy to hit an unlikely 80 this month. I can't imagine going back to that heat.

My kids are becoming true MN's. It's around freezing when they wait for the bus in the morning, but all they want is a light coat.

Speaking of Minnesotans and weather, I like how in the spring, when it hit s the 60's, we start wearing our spring dresses. But when it hits the 60's in the fall, we're back to dresses with leggings and boots!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:17 pm

I think about that too! Part of it must be that our tolerance really changes in a few months.

Definitely peak autumn in New England right now with the foliage etc, but not the best this year. September was just so hot that we're getting a lot more yellow/brown I think. I've seen some pretty impressive sized V-shaped Canadian geese migrations though, which is awesome.

Also funny, it's one of those overcast and in the 50s kind of days today. We had a visitor this morning to the institute and he did a minute of small chat where he pointed outside and said how great the weather is. I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or not, so asked where he was from Tucson! He misses cold and clouds! :lol:
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm

According to our car's thermometer, it was 11F near Mono Lake in the Sierras yesterday. It's still October!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Good! I'm going skiing in Telluride, CO this Christmas, and am so paranoid that they won't have snow, so no offense but I'm happy to hear about cold temps out west.
Rommie

Postby squ1d » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 am

90+ summers ftw!

I grew up in England where it was fairly cold and miserable, maybe this is why I enjoy a hot climate. In any case, if I could move to the equator for the winter, I would.
squ1d

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Rommie wrote:Good! I'm going skiing in Telluride, CO this Christmas, and am so paranoid that they won't have snow, so no offense but I'm happy to hear about cold temps out west.

We had some light snow on our hike into the Sierras, so I'm thinking you'll be good.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:39 pm

squ1d wrote:90+ summers ftw!

I grew up in England where it was fairly cold and miserable, maybe this is why I enjoy a hot climate. In any case, if I could move to the equator for the winter, I would.

I'm one of those crazy people who like the Mojave Desert in the summer.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:03 pm

squ1d wrote:90+ summers ftw!

Here in the U.S. that's Florida for most people. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Bring it on! A snowstorm is on the way. 6-12". Not really a big deal, but we've had nothing but a couple of snowfalls with traces so far. Usually we'll have a couple 3-4" snowfalls to ease in to the season.

I feel bad for those traveling, and fortunate that we are staying home and don't have anyone visiting us. It should be done and roads cleared by mid to late Wednesday, and Thanksgiving itself will be fine. But I know a lot of people are getting out of town tonight and tomorrow, so they will be the ones having a hard time.

I'm thinking the kids may have a snow day. My work won't close, so I'd have to bring them in with me for some of the day.
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 pm

They're calling for up to 12" here in the next two days as well. And temperatures below zero (F).

I'm not amused.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Supposed to snow here this weekend, but not stick.

Luckily, though, we took my parents up on their offer for a Florida Thanksgiving this year! Man, I never got used to the Florida Christmas, but have no such ideas about Thanksgiving and it sure is easy to list off things you're thankful for when eating Thanksgiving dinner outside. 8-)

Here is just grey, but the part that I already know I will never get used to in Boston is wow it gets dark here so early in winter. Like, 4:30pm sunset, so you're already seeing that fading twilight glow after 3pm. It's just an unfortunate byproduct of being pretty far east in the time zone- Toronto was similar latitude but a few hundred miles west, so you get sunset about an hour later.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:41 pm

I grew up in Michigan, even farther west than Toronto, and I remember in the summer it still being light close to 10:00. Then for grad school I went to Chicago--as far east in the central as you can get. Probably similar to Boston. Pure dark at 4:30--no thanks!

The official total for my city is 8", but it looks more like 6" to me. It's not too cold so we've been having some fun outside!
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:11 am

We got a spot or two of rain. :D
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Had a nice few days with the weather in south Florida 8-) but then some excitement yesterday evening for our flight back because it was slated to coincide with the first storm to hit Boston this year. So everyone was freaking out about snow and if flights would make it etc. The thing was, I was a little confused because the totals they were saying were 3-5" or so because it's a mix of rain and snow on the coast. And honestly, there is no chance the airport can't handle that kind of snow!

So ultimately our plane (which flew in from Chicago anyway) had a half hour delay, but they ended up taking off about on time anyway because the advisory was lifted. No snow really on the ground at the airport (which is basically in the harbor), and a couple inches out by Cambridge, and out here it's still white but very wet on this "wintery mix" day. Probably won't last until the end of the week. So, talk about a tempest in a teacup!

I guess it's December now. :)
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 am

our "Monsoon" season has started. We started getting rain over the weekend and they are predicting rain on and off for the next 10 days. We shall see if we get a lot this winter.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I had my first weather delay today since high school! A two hour delay for the start of work due to all the snow, as we got several inches last night. The funny thing is it's not THAT much snow, maybe 6", so my inner Clevelander/ Torontonian can't help but feel like Bostonians are a bit wimpy! ;)

It's still coming down strong and steady even though it's supposed to have ended, and man is it a pretty picture outside my work window right now. Super distracting from actual work to watch the first snowfall of the year. :)
Rommie

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around