Wolves

Wolves

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Amazing short video from a documentary about how wolves changed the ecosystem in Yellowstone for the better. It brought me to tears - tears of hope for our future.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Wolves

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Wolves are apparently good at changing the planet to suit their own needs. Which means we humans are doomed. Doomed I say.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm

geonuc wrote:Wolves are apparently good at changing the planet to suit their own needs. Which means we humans are doomed. Doomed I say.

The planet should be so lucky...
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 am

Swift wrote:
geonuc wrote:Wolves are apparently good at changing the planet to suit their own needs. Which means we humans are doomed. Doomed I say.

The planet should be so lucky...

Thumbs up.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 pm

I think a better title for the video would've been "how deer ruin everything." :P

No really, good one.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Rommie wrote:I think a better title for the video would've been "how deer ruin everything." :P

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Swift wrote:
Rommie wrote:I think a better title for the video would've been "how deer ruin everything." :P

So, y'all up for some venison? :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Swift wrote:

So, y'all up for some venison? :D

Sure, I like venison.

Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:05 pm

No one is ever going to believe that Bambi is bad for the environment. :nono:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:No one is ever going to believe that Bambi is bad for the environment. :nono:

Actually, having grown up in an area heavily overpopulated by white-tailed deer, many people say they are bad for the environment. :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Rommie wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:No one is ever going to believe that Bambi is bad for the environment. :nono:

Actually, having grown up in an area heavily overpopulated by white-tailed deer, many people say they are bad for the environment. :P

I've heard a lot of people say they don't like deer, but not because of any harm to 'the environment'. Rather because they harmed their gardens and flowerbeds.

In my year living in Pennsylvania, I think I saw more deer than people.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Ikyoto » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Lesson - let the weak, the slow and the stupid talk to the wolves.
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Postby cid » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Ikyoto wrote:Lesson - let the weak, the slow and the stupid talk to the wolves.

A number of years back, I was coming home from the rally in Michigan's UP, and stopped along M28 to do a little stargazing (no light pollution, salt-on-black-velvetskies). I was in The Seney Stretch, a 25-mile run through a nature preserve -- the only building is a highway rest area.
I'm about three miles west of Seney (I'm familiar with the area from my USAF daze up there), and marveling at Orion as viewed through a pair of 10x50's. While packing up, I heard what I thought was a dog barking down the road in Seney. "Awful funny bark", I thought...maybe the dog's sick or something. I listened some more, and it suddenly dawned on me, that's no dog -- that's a wolf...I just had to stand there for a minute, listening to a marvelous sound.

Then someone answered him...

Across the road, in the brush, couldn't have been more than a hundred feet away...I'm listening to two wolves talk to each other.

The penny dropped...they were most likely discussing lunch, aka that standing rack of The Other White Two-Legged Meat, namely ME... :shock:

Got myself locked back in that car faster than you would have thought humanly possible...
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Return to Hanging Around