Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby Rommie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 am

This is my fifth Thanksgiving abroad (I missed the last one when I still lived in the USA because I was in Argentina instead- ye gods, I was there four years ago?!), so kinda getting nostalgic for the holiday at home this year. Unfortunately it is waaaaay too close to Christmas to make that trans-Atlantic journey twice in such quick succession- I mean hey, on the plus side, I'll be back Stateside in three weeks!- so unless I decide to miss Christmas (and fat chance of that happening, it's the one holiday I've yet to miss and I'm still single) I guess Thanksgiving will be sans family.

But hey, don't worry, not missing out on turkey and such- I have two Thanksgivings this year! One today hosted at the American bookstore (€20 for turkey+trimmings, and booze), and one Sunday at an expat's house. Was kinda thinking of skipping today in favor of the one with friends, but fat chance of that happening when push comes to shove. :P Still, kinda weird to be at work on Thanksgiving Day! Guess I should be thankful for the good job, and for finally getting this paper off my back. ;)

Happy Turkey Day to all!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby Swift » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you Rommie and everyone else.

I don't recall anything about Thanksgiving when I was overseas... I might have done nothing. I do remember that we had assignment in my French class at the Aliance Francaise to describe a "native" meal from your homeland, so I described Thanksgiving dinner. I still remember turkey in French is "dinde".
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Parrothead » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, to all you south of the 49th! Enjoy the time with family, friends, loved ones and all the food, football and shopping!

Cheers!
Parrothead

Postby Loresinger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

you couldn't drag me to a store at this time of year but for food
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Return to Hanging Around