The slavery footprint calculator

The slavery footprint calculator

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 pm

Please take this survey. Do not post the results, we can all make a ballpark guess.

http://slaveryfootprint.org

Yes I know, the site's slow as hell. That's not the point.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: The slavery footprint calculator

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:31 am

Well if I can't post my score.....Can I ask, Can someone please find GJ a job or at least something to distract him? :P
There's 15 minutes I'll never get back.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:36 pm

I started, just out of curiosity, but when it got to questions about how many green peppers I eat, I just stopped.

We'll just leave it as I'm a horrible person who supports slavery by eating green peppers. Hang me, instead of shooting me, you can reuse the rope.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm

I'll just walk out into the desert and let the buzzards recycle my body.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Guys, guys, again: not the point. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. Guilt, in my experience, is not usually a useful emotion.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby geonuc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 am

Gullible Jones wrote:Guys, guys, again: not the point. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. Guilt, in my experience, is not usually a useful emotion.

But the people behind the calculator do want us to feel guilty, and they try to do it in a completely opaque and probably erroneous manner. A calculator based on simple lifestyle questions? Let's take Swift's nasty habit of eating green peppers. I eat peppers too. Are they tied to slavery? How about if we throw in the notion that many of the peppers I eat were grown in my own garden? And the notorious blood diamonds? I don't buy diamonds but the question asked if I own any. Yes, one inherited from my mother. Is her reprehensible act of buying a diamond (oh wait - maybe she inherited from her mother!) now branding me a slave supporter?

That's the reason I mock your post, GJ. The calculator tells you little about what it purports to, and what it does report may be completely wrong. It's junk.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Guys, guys, again: not the point. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. Guilt, in my experience, is not usually a useful emotion.

So what is the point?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:37 pm

The point (IMO) is to raise awareness of this problem; so that people can try to reduce their footprint, put pressure on companies via letters, etc.

No, we can't lead zero-impact lives, or fix things overnight. That doesn't mean we should ignore the problem.

Seriously - you guys are sounding almost as angsty as I used to. Think about it, okay?
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Swift » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:05 am

Gullible Jones wrote:The point (IMO) is to raise awareness of this problem; so that people can try to reduce their footprint, put pressure on companies via letters, etc.

No, we can't lead zero-impact lives, or fix things overnight. That doesn't mean we should ignore the problem.

Seriously - you guys are sounding almost as angsty as I used to. Think about it, okay?

The problem is I am beyond overwhelmed with causes.

I probably get at least one piece of mail a day from some cause, usually looking for money (and sign their petition or do something else, but first, send that check).

I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I get a day along the same line, it has to be at least 3 to 5, but it might be more, because I usually quickly hit the delete key.

And this has been going on literally for decades. I've been giving to various charities for over 30 years.

I have certain charities that I regularly give to; there are probably 10 to 12, again, some for decades, as well as random ones I give to when I feel like it.

I also do all sorts of life-style things to help humans and our planet. I typically volunteer 150 hours a year for Lake Metroparks. Is it enough? No, it will never be "enough". But I'm tired of the never ending requests.

At some point you have to pick your battles or go insane. I picked mine decades ago.

I'm sorry for ruining your thread GJ. Its nice that you care. I'll go away now....

Swift

Postby geonuc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:The point (IMO) is to raise awareness of this problem; so that people can try to reduce their footprint, put pressure on companies via letters, etc.

I did think about it, GJ, but I'm not going to send letters to companies based on a flawed website calculator. I'm fully aware that conditions in some parts the world are abysmal and our consumerism contributes to that problem.

I also have Swift's problem. Too many causes. I have musk oxen in Alaska to think about. (just kidding, although I do support the Musk Ox Farm).
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 am

geonuc wrote:I did think about it, GJ, but I'm not going to send letters to companies based on a flawed website calculator. I'm fully aware that conditions in some parts the world are abysmal and our consumerism contributes to that problem.

I also have Swift's problem. Too many causes. I have musk oxen in Alaska to think about. (just kidding, although I do support the Musk Ox Farm).

+1

I answered yes to many questions but they are loaded because they assume you bought the stuff instead of growing it, making it or farming it. I buy salmon, it's Tasmanian salmon. How many slaves are there in Tasmania?

Considering my minimalist life style, it told me I have 17 slaves working for me. Really?
Does 0.01 seconds of someones time that's truly allocated to me equate to having them work for me full time?
Because if I had 17 people working for me full time, I'd love to know what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Classic example is electronics and the tat industry. One shovel is enough to make thousands of laptops, phones etc.
So that would count as one slave working for me. To scoop probably 30g of material that I'd use in a lifetime.
Give me a break. This was a guilt trip expressway and there are more legitimate ways to address the problem without having to resort to outright deception for the gullible.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby squ1d » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 am

Its cool guys they killed all the Tasmanian slaves. However, the salmon themselves are notoriously racist towards other fish.

But seriously, be more supportive! Right at this very moment BAD NASTY PEOPLE, largely suspected to be white and male, are doing HORRIBLE AND NASTY things to other less white and male people. Also the slaveries! Someone has to constantly remind us of these things, we're just walking around with our blinkers on!
squ1d

Return to Hanging Around