US Open

US Open

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am

I had a rare 20 minutes of free time yesterday between work, workout, the wretched crosstown rush hour drive, and The Kid's volleyball match. So I stopped at a nearby watering hole for a bite and a drink. All the TV's at the bar had on the US Open tennis tournament. I haven't really watched any tennis in years.
First, it brought back great memories of my summers when we used to visit my grandparents in Salem, Oregon. Grampa was a tennis player and runner well into his 70's. We used to play doubles then watch some Wimbledon action while sipping ice cold 7Up (poured over ice from a 16oz GLASS bottle). Great memories.
Next, my thoughts went, as they usually do, to the technical side of putting on such an event. I was watching all the ball boys and girls and the line judges. The delicate efficient ballet of grabbing loose balls, and providing them and towels to the contestants. I'm probably the only guy that goes to a concert and cheers for the roadies, drum tech, and lighting supervisor. But no matter what kind of event, I love the "back stage" action.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: US Open

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 pm

You're not alone. I watch a lot of tennis and often watch the ball kids. For example, yesterday during the Wawrinka match, I noticed one of the boys was not real good at getting himself settled right before the point started. He'd shift his feet, twist his neck a bit and generally look around before adopting the required motionless statue pose. I have to think the ballkid supervisor would have noticed that and had a chat with him.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Thumper wrote:Next, my thoughts went, as they usually do, to the technical side of putting on such an event. I was watching all the ball boys and girls and the line judges. The delicate efficient ballet of grabbing loose balls, and providing them and towels to the contestants. I'm probably the only guy that goes to a concert and cheers for the roadies, drum tech, and lighting supervisor. But no matter what kind of event, I love the "back stage" action.

Me three, though I haven't done it much with tennis. But I've always thought concert roadies were interesting. I've wondered what it might be like to do a concert tour... I suspect equal parts of interesting, exciting, and grueling.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:32 am

Looked pretty darn hot yesterday. The ball boys were more towel boys handing and receiving towels between almost every point so the drenched players could try to dry off a bit.

I have certainly thought about a possible stint as a band tech for a tour. But I'm with you Swift, I would think the lonely nights in motels or on the bus, crappy food, and long stretches of time away from home and family would temper the glamour and fun. But I am thinking of trying out to be a ball boy. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around