I know I'm going to miss it

I know I'm going to miss it

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Drove home in a funk Monday night after watching another crappy performance by The Kid's volleyball team. Luckily for home games I'm a line judge so that keeps me somewhat occupied. But this team has no spunk, no fire. They can almost play with any team up to about 18-20 points then the lose their minds collectively on que and lose every set. They're being out played and out coached. Alot of the girls have been playing quite a while and they have been playing together for quite some time. But I don't see much improvement. Every other team has a stable of hitters. Almost any girl can hit the ball effectively and tries. That rarely happens on our side of the net. They hand the ball back to the other team to have it shoved back down their throats over and over.

I know The Kid is frustrated, she's running all over the court trying to do more than she can, trying to save shagged balls. It's definitely not fun to watch, it can't be fun to play. But volleyball is her passion. So I'm driving home dreading going to the rest of the games this season. But I know in a year or so, I'll miss seeing her play, regardless of the outcome. I just wish she could have more satisfaction.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: I know I'm going to miss it

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Yeah, I can see that. Sure, you can teach her about how doing your best is all you can do in life, but it sure is nice to win and be part of a winning environment. Or if not that, at least be part of a group that also tries their best. I hope it turns around.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:21 am

Yeah, you don't have to win the state championship every year. But to win a few matches and play with a group that plays as a team, and continues to improve, would sure be nice.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 am

Match yesterday started out as usual: they stunk. The Kid had an exceptionally bad first set. She was trying to do things she shouldn't, was out of position trying to do too much, serving poorly. Rest of the team just standing around waiting to lose. Something happened midway through the second set, they turned it around and won. By the third set, they were playing as a team, refusing to let the ball hit the court, all the players stepping up their game. In the fourth set, they never let up, they blew them out. The opposing team just fell apart, their coach was losing her mind.

It was amazing how different I felt about that match. Again, it's not that they have to win for me to enjoy it. I like watching good play and good effort. They actually are still lacking at playing good technical volleyball, but they just kept the ball alive, surprised their opponent, and took the wind out of their sails. The only thing is, their opponent was their longtime arch rival. Their arch rival is Mrs. T's and my alma mater. It is a very surreal experience going into the gym where for 8 years or so we heckled and badgered visiting teams with wild abandon (including The Kid's team) and now rooting for them. It was an interesting day for sure.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, The Kid got First Team All League this year. She was either Second Team or Honorable Mention last year. I thought this was a big deal. You don't get many First Team Honors from mediocre or losing teams. No other League honors for her team this year. At the end of season team banquet....the coach didn't mention it at all. I've had issues with her coaching all year but I've kept quiet and supported the team. I'm now more convinced that not only is she not a good coach, she doesn't like or value The Kid, her efforts or her contributions.

And that's sad. Because next year is her last at competitive volleyball assuming she sticks with her decision not to try to play in college. She used to absolutely love playing volleyball. She loved to practice, it isn't the games or winning that drive her, she just wants to play volleyball and be the best she can be. And she likes to encourage and motivate her team mates. What better player could a coach ask for? She was voted captain by her team mates the last two years. I heard that early in the season, the coach shut her down. Told her to stop talking to the other players and helping them along. That SHE was the coach. That is absolutely ludicrous. You're a coachable player that motivates and coaches the other players. A coaches dream. And you want your setter to be the on court leader anyway. I wondered if it was just me. But I discussed this with an acquaintance who's a volleyball expert, player, coach, ref you name it. He came to the same conclusion as me, even more passionately.
And that is sad.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:27 pm

I hope it is just a clash of personality between coach and player. Perhaps her love of the game will win out and she continues playing beyond. If not in school, I'm sure there are leagues that play regionally?

I understand the enjoyment of watching a good competitive match. I grew up playing the game during summers, on an outdoor grass court. I never was really good, but still absolutely love the game.

Cheers!
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:17 pm

:P

Found out Friday that she also got Honorable Mention All District.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Thumper wrote:...Because next year is her last at competitive volleyball assuming she sticks with her decision not to try to play in college...

Wait wait wait wait wait. Your daughter is at the age where she's thinking about colleges and stuff?! :shock: I didn't give my permission for this!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Thumper wrote:Well, The Kid got First Team All League this year. She was either Second Team or Honorable Mention last year. I thought this was a big deal. You don't get many First Team Honors from mediocre or losing teams. No other League honors for her team this year. At the end of season team banquet....the coach didn't mention it at all. I've had issues with her coaching all year but I've kept quiet and supported the team. I'm now more convinced that not only is she not a good coach, she doesn't like or value The Kid, her efforts or her contributions.

And that's sad. Because next year is her last at competitive volleyball assuming she sticks with her decision not to try to play in college. She used to absolutely love playing volleyball. She loved to practice, it isn't the games or winning that drive her, she just wants to play volleyball and be the best she can be. And she likes to encourage and motivate her team mates. What better player could a coach ask for? She was voted captain by her team mates the last two years. I heard that early in the season, the coach shut her down. Told her to stop talking to the other players and helping them along. That SHE was the coach. That is absolutely ludicrous. You're a coachable player that motivates and coaches the other players. A coaches dream. And you want your setter to be the on court leader anyway. I wondered if it was just me. But I discussed this with an acquaintance who's a volleyball expert, player, coach, ref you name it. He came to the same conclusion as me, even more passionately.
And that is sad.

Ridiculous.

Congrats to The Kid on her honors.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Thumper wrote::P

Found out Friday that she also got Honorable Mention All District.
She might possibly be contacting you about Case. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:24 pm

geonuc wrote:Ridiculous.

Congrats to The Kid on her honors.
Thanks.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Rommie wrote:
Thumper wrote:...Because next year is her last at competitive volleyball assuming she sticks with her decision not to try to play in college...

Wait wait wait wait wait. Your daughter is at the age where she's thinking about colleges and stuff?! :shock: I didn't give my permission for this!

As we've already demonstrated with a certain, young ham radio operator, if you feed them they get bigger. ;)
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Well, at least the Kid won't have to play with that coach again. And congratulations to her for doing so well.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Actually, if this coach stays, next fall is The Kid's senior season. So she'll have to play for her for one more year, assuming she plays her senior year.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around