MLB

MLB

Postby Parrothead » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

While not much of a fan, still I gotta say "Go Blue Jays!". They clinched a playoff spot last night, been long enough. 22 years since they won the World Series and haven't been back to the playoffs, since those back-to-back championships.
Parrothead

Re: MLB

Postby Parrothead » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Wild 7th inning between the Rangers and Blue Jays, yesterday. Blue Jays win, will face Kansas City in the ALCS, starting tomorrow night. Last time these two teams met in an ALCS, KC came back from being down 3-1 in the series to beat the Blue Jays 4-3. That was the first time Toronto made the playoffs, 30 years ago.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:39 am

Gotta root for the Cubbies, but I've always been a Mets fan... :?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Thumper wrote:Gotta root for the Cubbies, but I've always been a Mets fan... :?

Yeah... I don't have anything against the Cubs or their fans, but born and raised New Yorker and was a Mets fan from their start, and while I don't really follow them any longer, they still have a soft spot in my heart. My younger sister is a hard core Mets fan and was at the game last night. Go Mets.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:26 pm

It's interesting how our non-home team favorites are created. I'm a Cubs fan dating back to my formative years of baseball fandome, middle school. Of course the Tigers are my team. But at that time I had a couple girlfriends who were as crazy for the Tigers as I was. One of them had CABLE and could watch the Cubs on WGN! And she thought Ryne Sandberg was cute. So the Cubs became her NL team and, by association, they became mine.

The association grew stronger in college when a good friend of mine was as big of a Cubs fan as I am a Tigers fan, so we adopted each other's teams.

Plus, Back to the Future predicted a Cubs championship.

Other than them, I don't have any strong preference for the other three teams so if the Mets win I probably won't pay much attention. Not that I have this entire season! Between the Tigers tanking the first 1/3 of the season, and my crazy busy schedule, I just did not have the time or desire to listen to games. I feel like a fair-weather fan, which is not what I want to be!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Parrothead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Let's Go Blue Jays! :wave: :cheer:
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:26 am

Cubbies had a chance to extend the series, but the Mets are really playing well and taking advantage of opportunities. If I could point to a play, it was the 2 out strikeout/wild pitch which extended the inning and allowed a run to score. They were lucky with the next batter with the "ivy ground rules" play. Otherwise the game might have been over right there.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around