Not another Weather Thread...

Not another Weather Thread...

Postby Thumper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Forgive me, maybe it's because I'm turning 50 and just got an invitation to AARP...
I've been reporting in the weather thread about the amount of rainfall around here in the last year because I got a simple rain gauge as a gift. So as the new year approaches, I thought maybe I'll start acting like Mrs. T's grandfather and start recording precipitation and what not for the year.

So I was wondering if anyone else actually kept track of stuff like that, if they have an app or website they use, or just write stuff down on notepaper? Mrs. T asked what I planned to do with the info. I said, "Save it." :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Not another Weather Thread...

Postby Swift » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:50 pm

I keep track of my steps. I've been doing the 10,000 step a day program for about 10 years and I keep track of it in a spreadsheet. I write the numbers off my pedometer daily, onto a sheet of scrap paper, and when that sheet is full (every couple of weeks) I'll enter it into the spreadsheet.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 pm

I got one of those things last fall to track my steps. I did it to prove to the meeting planners at the conferences that I volunteer at that I walk as much as they brag they do. And I was right. I've kept using it just to check what I normally do and it's a bit depressing how sedentary I am. I was up over 10K before lunch most days at the conferences. Several days I was well over 20K when I made it back to the hotel room. I can make it through a typical work day and not get to 3K. The good news is I make it an effort to get some more in. And when I get home, I grab the dog and we go out specifically to get some steps in. And he's lost some weight. I don't do any long term tracking or recording though.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 pm

So I obviously talk about the weather here alot. And I guess I do other places as well. I figured it would be nice to know how much precipitation we get on a given day/week, etc. Ironically, I just pulled it up and stored it in the garage. I don't want it to get freeze damage.

I was just wondering if anyone else kept track of precipitation or temperatures or what not. It is interesting that as much as this part of Ohio is flat and boring and unvaried weather wise, temps and precip at my house are often quite different that those reported around the city.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Regarding the Fitbit thingy, I would get one but it doesn't really know how to treat cycling, my primary mode of transportation. So it's not exactly worth it.

Back in rainy, soggy, dark Amsterdam! But we have daffodils out, so maybe I skipped winter?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:48 pm

I chase a hyperactive 5 (almost 6) year old around the house... does that count as tracking my steps? :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Rommie wrote:Regarding the Fitbit thingy, I would get one but it doesn't really know how to treat cycling, my primary mode of transportation. So it's not exactly worth it.

Back in rainy, soggy, dark Amsterdam! But we have daffodils out, so maybe I skipped winter?
I have a simple pedometer that I calibrated to my gait so I get steps and miles. I don't trust those iPhone apps at all. Some of my colleagues were getting crazy numbers from those. Mine seems to be pretty accurate. I will admit, though, that when I wore it while riding the mower for 4 hours, it registered over 32,000 steps. :P

Regarding cycling, there's cheap odometers/speedometers for those. Some also display pedal RPM and even estimated calories and Watts.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:20 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I chase a hyperactive 5 (almost 6) year old around the house... does that count as tracking my steps? :P

As long as one of you is wearing a pedometer. :D
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 pm

So nobody else does any weather tracking? Well, "else," we're 13 days in and I haven't recorded any temperatures or precipitation either. Maybe tonight I'll catch up...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Thumper wrote:So nobody else does any weather tracking? Well, "else," we're 13 days in and I haven't recorded any temperatures or precipitation either. Maybe tonight I'll catch up...

Nothing official, but I do keep significant events in mind. I remember one winter where we had some form of snow, from flurries to a blizzard, for 17 consecutive days. I also remember a stretch from April-June when we had some form of precipitation every weekend, or Monday, or some recurring timeframe like that. And of course, the April precipitation was a blizzard!

The next stretch to keep track of is hours subzero. Weatherfolks are predicting anywhere from 60-72 hours starting this Saturday morning. I'm pretty sure I've seen a 72 hour stretch before.

Holy cow, this is my 10th winter in Minnesota. Time flies.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Spent 4 in Buffalo and 3 in ND. But you have me way beat. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby brite » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Thumper wrote:Spent 4 in Buffalo and 3 in ND. But you have me way beat. :P

I grew up in Buffalo... You just visited....
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Fair enough!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Swift wrote:I keep track of my steps. I've been doing the 10,000 step a day program for about 10 years and I keep track of it in a spreadsheet. I write the numbers off my pedometer daily, onto a sheet of scrap paper, and when that sheet is full (every couple of weeks) I'll enter it into the spreadsheet.
Had my pedometer on me as I bounced around in a salt truck last night. The good news: I registered nearly 20,000 steps sitting on my butt, steering and pushing buttons. The bad news: I'm peeing blood and will probably have to get on the kidney transplant list. *

*Kidding, of course. But that is the roughest riding dump truck I've ever been in.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:I keep track of my steps. I've been doing the 10,000 step a day program for about 10 years and I keep track of it in a spreadsheet. I write the numbers off my pedometer daily, onto a sheet of scrap paper, and when that sheet is full (every couple of weeks) I'll enter it into the spreadsheet.
Had my pedometer on me as I bounced around in a salt truck last night. The good news: I registered nearly 20,000 steps sitting on my butt, steering and pushing buttons. The bad news: I'm peeing blood and will probably have to get on the kidney transplant list. *

*Kidding, of course. But that is the roughest riding dump truck I've ever been in.

:lol: It must have been built on a military chassis.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Well I don't think it was that bad. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:55 pm

It's perfect bike riding weather: I can wear one outfit to, at, and from work.

When it's too cold I wear 2 layers for warmth and then change into work-appropriate clothes, then back to the layers for the ride home. When it's too hot I wear biking shorts and shirt, and also bring in work clothes. But in this weather, I wear a comfortable outfit with a coat in the morning, and take the coat off for the ride home. It was about 50 on my ride in and will be about 60 on the ride home.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Return to Hanging Around