Hockey WC

Hockey WC

Postby Parrothead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:55 am

TIFF has ended, "La La Land" got the nod for public's fave during the festival.

World Cup of Hockey has started. US lost to Team Europe on the weekend and face Canada tonight (8pm EDT). Canada beat Czech Rep. in their opening game the other night. Team N. America is fun to watch. A bunch of 24 yr old and younger from Canada and US, basically recent draft picks. US needs a win tonight or they won't be moving on to the next round. A win by Canada will mostly guarantee Canada and Europe moving on from "Group A". Sweden beat Finland this afternoon, killing Finland's chances of moving on. Russia and N. Am. both have one win and one loss. Group B has Sweden leading with 2 W no L. N. Am. and Russia both have 1 W and 1 L (N. Am lost to Russia last night in a heckuva game).

Go Canada Go!

:wave:
Parrothead

Re: Hockey WC

Postby Parrothead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Team North America has gotten off to a quick start against Sweden. In the first minute and a half of the game, they have scored twice on Lundqvist and missed on a penalty shot. If North America wins this game in regulation and Russia beat Finland tomorrow, it'll take some stats work figuring which one of Sweden, Russia and N. Am. misses out on the next round. All 3 will have 2 wins and one loss. As I type, the Swedes just got one back, Filip Forsberg putting one past Matt Murray.

The evening game today will be Canada vs Team Europe. All games are being played downtown at the ACC. Canada's win over the US last night, settled Group A. Canada and Team Europe advance, Czech Rep. and USA will not.

ETA: Corrected Murray's first name, but looks like it's John Gibson playing goal for North America.

ETA2: What a game! N.Am. wins it in the final minute of 3 on 3 OT. MacKinnon put a beauty of a move on Lundqvist. Moments earlier one of the Sedin twins had a chance to end it, at the other end of the ice. Russia needs to beat Finland tomorrow to move on. I hope Finland finds a way to win. It'd be a shame to see these young players miss moving on. I'm hoping Ovie and Malkin continue to be non-factors for Russia. This has been some great hockey and a great warm-up for the players ahead of training camp for the regular NHL season. Phil Kessel's tweet from last night, has been in the news all day: "Just sitting around the house tonight with my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it." LOL!
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:11 am

Semi-Finals go this weekend. Canada vs. Russia tomorrow night. Sweden vs Europe on Sunday afternoon.

Best of three Final series games to be played Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (if third game is necessary).

Go Canada Go! :wave: :cheer: :wave: :cheer:

Shame that team North America lost to Russia. The young guys playing against Canada would have been a hell of a SF game. Young guys like McDavid, Matthews, Nugent-Hopkins, Ekblad, etc. going up against Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Thorton, Doughty, etc.
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Keep up the posts. Since I don't usually watch Hockey it will be the best way to find out who wins. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:44 pm

I'd never heard of the World Cup of Hockey before it was mentioned on Pardon The Interruption (ESPN sports show). I have to say, it seems a bit contrived.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Parrothead » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 am

Canada beat Russia 5 -2. They await the winner of the Sweden vs Europe SF.

World Cup of Hockey is an international tournament sanctioned by the NHL and NHLPA, not an IIHF tournament. It is run under NHL rules. First WCoH was played in 1996 won by the USA and 2004 which was won by Canada. Previous to 1996, the tournament went by the Canada Cup, which was played in 1976, 1981, 1984, 1987 and 1991. Canada won all, but '81 which the Soviets won. Team Canada in 1987, is probably the best team the nation has put on ice. Gretzky and Lemieux playing on the same line. All three games of the Canada - Soviet Finals ended 6-5. Championship goal was scored by Lemieux, getting fed a pass from Gretzky on a 2 on 1 break. Ranks right up there with Henderson's goal in Game 7 vs. the Soviets in the '72 Summit Series.

It started as a chance for pro players to play in an international tourney. Olympics and IIHF tourneys were for amateurs, at the time. It's timing late Summer - early Fall allows for a full complement of international players. During the IIHF World Hockey Championships, the NHL playoffs are still going on, so not all players are available, others choose not to play at the end of the NHL season. This tourney is limited to 8 teams. This time around, it was the best 6 plus Team North America and Team Europe. Next time it is expected to revert back to 8 national teams. Most players taking part, are in the NHL.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Team Europe defeated Sweden in sudden death OT, final score 3 - 2. Questionable goal looked like it may have been kicked in, ruled good goal. Canada will meet Europe in the best of three final.

I bought a pane this year's release of hockey themed stamps from Canada Post. This time around 6 stamps of Great Canadian Forwards. The six players on the stamps are: Sidney Crosby, Phil Esposito, Guy Lafleur, Steve Yzerman, Mark Messier and Darryl Sittler. Previous releases featured Great Canadian Goalies: Ken Dryden, Tony Esposito, Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley, Bernie Parent and Martin Brodeur. Six legendary Canadian Defencemen: Tim Horton, Pierre Pilote, Doug Harvey, Harry Howell, Red Kelly and Bobby Orr. Team logos of the seven Canadian NHL teams.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Canada won Game 1 over Team Europe last night. Final score 3 - 1. Some sloppy play by Canada in the second and third periods. Canada should play better next game, hopefully clinching the title in 2 games. A positive note, Stamkos finally scored his first goal of the tournament.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Canada won it on Thursday night. Lacklustre game. Canada down 1 - 0, with a couple of minutes left in the game, Bergeron scores a pp goal, in the final minute Marchand scores a short-handed goal. Canada wins 2 - 1. Wins the Final 2 - 0. Crosby named MVP.

NHL regular season gets underway in a couple of weeks.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 am

And the Blue Jackets have just been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:23 pm

Thumper wrote:And the Blue Jackets have just been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

:P

By the way, I'm terribly sorry, but every time I see this thread title, my first thought is something about sanitary facilities for hockey arenas. :oops:
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Return to Hanging Around