MLB Playoffs

MLB Playoffs

Postby Parrothead » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Blue Jays face the Indians tonight in the first game of the ALCS. Around here, it feels like issues surrounding the the Indians' name and logo are making more news than the series. I'm guessing that will change once the series gets underway.

Dodgers will face the Cubs in the NLCS.

Go Jays Go!
Parrothead

Re: MLB Playoffs

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 pm

Jays are in trouble...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:43 pm

One win down. Three to go. :cheer:
Parrothead

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 am

Sorry Parrothead, but my Indians are the American League Champions!!!!! We are going to the World Series.

And I'm going to the World Series. I didn't go in 1995 or 97, I was worried about spending that much money. But after that I told myself that I had better go next time they are in; I might not live to get another chance. So we are going on Tuesday (you don't want to know how much the tickets were). But we are going to game 1. :rockon:
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Parrothead » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:36 am

Yeah, Cleveland's pitching silenced the Jays' bats. Enjoy Game 1! :wave:
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:39 am

Swift wrote:Sorry Parrothead, but my Indians are the American League Champions!!!!! We are going to the World Series.

And I'm going to the World Series. I didn't go in 1995 or 97, I was worried about spending that much money. But after that I told myself that I had better go next time they are in; I might not live to get another chance. So we are going on Tuesday (you don't want to know how much the tickets were). But we are going to game 1. :rockon:

:wave:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:25 am

-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Even better, we have Tom Hamilton.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Swift wrote:Sorry Parrothead, but my Indians are the American League Champions!!!!! We are going to the World Series.

That's awesome!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:39 pm

I also just found out that Tuesday is also the first Cavs game (and first home game) of the regular season, and they will be rolling out the championship banner, so I assume that will also be a sellout.

So, you'll have 37,000 at Progressive Field for the World Series, another 20,000 at the Q for the Cavs, not to mention all the people who just want to be downtown for all of this.

I'm taking a vacation day on Wednesday, since I suspect it will take me 2 hours just to get out of downtown after the game.

Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Last time I was hanging around in Downtown Cleveland, Rush fans took over all of the bars where the Indians fans hang out. They were filming for the tour DVD at Gund* that night. We seriously outnumbered and out costumed the tribe fans heading to the Jake* that night for the game. Have a great time!

*Sorry, Quicken Loans Arena, yeah, and sorry, Progressive Field.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:02 am

Cubs win the NLCS. One thing for sure, one World Series drought ends this season.
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:20 pm

OMG! The Cubs are in. I am suddenly very afraid for the presidential elections this year. :shock:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 am

SciFiFisher wrote:OMG! The Cubs are in. I am suddenly very afraid for the presidential elections this year. :shock:

I was going to say, "That's Hilarious."
But it's not...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Swift, I assume you had a great time! I was rooting for the Indians last night, for your sake. But for the rest of the games I'm rooting for the Cubs.

I'm not a bandwagoner--they have been my favorite NL team for over 25 years. If the Indians were playing any other team in the NL, I'd be rooting for them. But honestly, it's a win win no matter who wins this series. :D
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:56 pm

If the Cubs win it will be the first time since 1917. :shock:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Oh, no hard feeling PP.
:ak:

Just kidding. Yes, I had a great time. I'll post some pictures on Facebook.

As people say around here (only about 25% kidding) "Its Cleveland Against the World"

Swift

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:00 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:If the Cubs win it will be the first time since 1917. :shock:

Psst, 1908. :shock:
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:17 am

Indians pitching in game 1 was ridiculous. That dude was lights out.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Thumper wrote:Indians pitching in game 1 was ridiculous. That dude was lights out.

Kluber (affectionately called "the Klubot" around here for his complete non-display of emotions when he pitches), was dealing. And that was the mortal version of Andrew Miller, who almost got himself in trouble twice.

Now, game 2.... not so much.

Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am

Tribe now has 2 chances to win it in Cleveland. If the Cubs manage to hold on tomorrow, they'll face Kluber again in the 7th.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:58 am

I am a little torn here because I've always liked the Cubs and the Indians- I've even been to both teams at home! (Though if I ever make it back to Wrigley Field I definitely want to do it from a rooftop.) Then I remember these games are in the middle of the night here so not like I'm ever going to see any of this series.

My summary of the current situation in Cleveland after having lived there is this dialogue:

Cleveland: we want a championship
Devil: Ok, but you'll have to host the Republicans.
Cleveland: ... fine.
Devil: Trump's the guy.
CLE: We want two.

Also, as a final thought, I'm still amazed that there's always so much controversy about the Washington Redskins but no one ever seems to care about Chief Wahoo.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Rommie wrote:Also, as a final thought, I'm still amazed that there's always so much controversy about the Washington Redskins but no one ever seems to care about Chief Wahoo.

There is some fussing about the Chief, and there should be - to a neutral observer, it is inappropriate. The Indians have slowly been deemphasizing him over the years; a lot of their uniforms no longer have him, but a stylized C as a logo. The C is now the "primary" logo.

I suspect Chief Wahoo doesn't get as much attention because it is Washington vs. Cleveland (who cares about a cow town like Cleveland) and I've heard the comment that even the Washington team name is racist (The Redskins), but people seem less concerned about The Indians.

We could always go back to being the Cleveland Spiders.

Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:46 pm

There has been some really good baseball in this series! That's how it should be--two well-match teams. I want it to go to 7, and to be honest right now I don't care who wins.
pumpkinpi

Postby Parrothead » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Swift wrote:
Rommie wrote:Also, as a final thought, I'm still amazed that there's always so much controversy about the Washington Redskins but no one ever seems to care about Chief Wahoo.

There is some fussing about the Chief, and there should be - to a neutral observer, it is inappropriate. The Indians have slowly been deemphasizing him over the years; a lot of their uniforms no longer have him, but a stylized C as a logo. The C is now the "primary" logo.

I suspect Chief Wahoo doesn't get as much attention because it is Washington vs. Cleveland (who cares about a cow town like Cleveland) and I've heard the comment that even the Washington team name is racist (The Redskins), but people seem less concerned about The Indians.

We could always go back to being the Cleveland Spiders.

There was some rumbling up here before the series with Cleveland. One individual or group, tried getting a court order to ban the Chief Wahoo logo, including being shown on telecast. Local network (Blue Jays are owned by cable company) argued can't stop fans from wearing gear, carry souveniers or block every possible instance where the logo may be shown. Not to mention, could the team come up with logo free uniforms in time. Court refused to hear the case.
Parrothead

Next

Return to Hanging Around