Greetings from Toronto!

Greetings from Toronto!

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that I made it, and am typing this from the astronomy dept at the University of Toronto. Where they tried to assign me a desk someone else was sitting at, and then another desk someone else is sitting at, so they said just sit at the second desk a few days until we sort something out. :P

Had a nice drive up from Florida to Washington DC, where many of you saw my pics if you follow me on FB, then spent a few days with bro and sis and their significant others and my new baby niece. She's very little, and has an insane amount of hair for a six week old! And also one of those babies who gets upset in two seconds flat if not being carried/bounced/sung to constantly, so think my sister was happy to have all hands on deck for a few days.

Anyway, Toronto seems fun, if not a bit cold this weekend even by the standards of Canada from what I gather. (It's also exciting because while this is my fourth country in a decade, this is by far the largest metropolis I've ever lived in, and I got an awesome location in the thick of it all. So a surprising amount of craning my neck at the skyscrapers and loving all the Asian restaurants.) I think I mainly feel a bit surreal about the entire thing- like good Lord, what am I doing here?! I guess six months ago I would never have imagined sitting where I am now, and it wasn't a serious thing until a few months ago, so guess it's not the strangest thing!

Cheers all from the great white north. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Greetings from Toronto!

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Though I've not lived in these places: NYC, Chicago, LA, DFW, I've experienced them. We were overwhelmed by the size of Toronto. Not sure why. And all the people living downtown was strange and different to us. Oh, and most of the meals we've had there were at Asian restaurants. :P

And I just checked, it's 30F up there. Buck it up. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Loresinger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Welcome to our neighborhood. The door's open, the fire is lit and food can be on any time!
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Good luck with your new Canadian adventure! Toronto has been on my bucket list for a while.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I think it is going to be an awesome experience. And I suspect the change of scenary is a good start to the new year.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Good luck in Toronto. Eh!

But don't be a Canadian idiot.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Thumper wrote:

Yesterday was fine. This past weekend though it didn't really get above 16F AND it was the weekend I walked everywhere to arrange things. I did live in Cleveland remember :razz:
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

geonuc wrote:Good luck with your new Canadian adventure! Toronto has been on my bucket list for a while.

Excellent food so far, and lots of great breweries. Give a shout if you want to come try one or two out. :)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Rommie wrote:
Thumper wrote:

Yesterday was fine. This past weekend though it didn't really get above 16F AND it was the weekend I walked everywhere to arrange things. I did live in Cleveland remember :razz:
That's why I know you'll be fine.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:31 pm

I can't recall-what was your 4th country of residence? Oh wait---your time in NZ?
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Welcome to Toronto. A snowy day today, later turning to rain. Things will get messy. We don't need much snow accumulation for things just to go outta whack.

I went to a lecture on astro-photography, a couple of months ago. I found out from the lecturer, one of the profs I had in Intro-Astronomy (some 30 yrs ago), is at U of T. He had a sense of humour and made 9 am lectures enjoyable.
Parrothead

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, gotta rush home today for 3pm to get some apartment repairs done, so luckily should miss the madness. :?

And yes, pumpkinpi, I moved to NZ in February 2017. Was interesting to think how that was also a city with a giant ass tower I grew quite fond of. :)

Edit: 2007 :P
Last edited by Rommie on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rommie

Postby Loresinger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

2017 are you per chance a time traveller :clap:
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Rommie wrote:
geonuc wrote:Good luck with your new Canadian adventure! Toronto has been on my bucket list for a while.

Excellent food so far, and lots of great breweries. Give a shout if you want to come try one or two out. :)

I will, thanks.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 am

Swift wrote:Good luck in Toronto. Eh!

But don't be a Canadian idiot.

HEY!
What did TDC ever do to you? :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm

"Top Dead Center"?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby squ1d » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 am

On my weekly call to Toronto I was told the roads were iced over and the weather was inclement. I started telling them how it was 30 C here and they weren't impressed.
squ1d

Postby vendic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I try not to talk too much about the warm weather as people will get jealous of us living the high glamorous life on a yacht in tropical paradise. Yep, that's us. Glamorous all the way!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:44 pm

vendic wrote:I try not to talk too much about the warm weather as people will get jealous of us living the high glamorous life on a yacht in tropical paradise. Yep, that's us. Glamorous all the way!

Just wait until summer* when we northerners have warm, comfortable temperatures, and see if you are still jealous! I'd take extended sub-freezing weather to extended hot and humid weather any year! I guess I'm living in the right place!

*will you still be in FL?
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

I'd like to know what percentage of the population that lives in a zone that "usually" experiences typical winter weather year in and year out. And compare that to the percent of the population that complains about winter weather. There's artwork, songs, movies...all kinds of sentiments romanticizing winter weather, but when you hear from people (at least around here), it's like its a curse or he|| on earth.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
vendic wrote:I try not to talk too much about the warm weather as people will get jealous of us living the high glamorous life on a yacht in tropical paradise. Yep, that's us. Glamorous all the way!

Just wait until summer* when we northerners have warm, comfortable temperatures, and see if you are still jealous! I'd take extended sub-freezing weather to extended hot and humid weather any year! I guess I'm living in the right place!

*will you still be in FL?

No idea right now. After the set back with the MIL we really just have to play things as they come.
IOW's, what we would like to do and what we end up doing are usually two very different things.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:00 pm

I dunno, maybe it's the beginning of season talk, but it's nice to be somewhere with proper seasons that I'm used to. But then, in the past week we had -10C as the high, 10cm of snow that then melted the same day in slush, and +10C yesterday as the high, so can't say I've had time to get used to or get bored of any particular thing. ;)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Around here I guess we're supposed to get used to not getting used to rapid swings in the weather.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Yes. So crazy to experience this and realize there's still people who don't believe the climate is changing. :?
Rommie

Postby vendic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

But it's cold there. So there is no global warming. You just proved that! :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Next

Return to Hanging Around