Invited the wrong person--what would you do?

Invited the wrong person--what would you do?

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm

This weekend is Rooster's 5th birthday party. I set an RSVP date of today on the invitation, and I haven't heard from 4 of them, so I made reminder cards to put in the kids' mail boxes in their preschool classroom.

In the rush and distraction of dropping Rooster off this morning, I guess one must have made it into the wrong box because I got an email from Magnus' mother saying he is excited to come! We didn't invite Magnus....the reminders were supposed to go in Lincoln's and Elsa's mailboxes.

I'm not sure what to do. Nominally, I would just run with it, and welcome another of Rose's friends. The weird part is that the envelopes had the children's' names written on them, so Magnus' mother missed that. So do I respond pre-preemptively, saying Magnus wasn't invited but we're happy to have him come? Or wait to see if she even notices the invitation wasn't for Magnus and contacts me?

Whether he comes or not is no big deal. My main concern is that it might embarrass her!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: Invited the wrong person--what would you do?

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 pm

The easiest thing I can think of involves the possibility of white lie. Welcome Magnus and hope everyone at the party has a great time. If Magnus's parents notice eventually that the invitation wasn't addressed to him, laugh it off and apologize that in your haste in getting the invites/reminders out, you put some of them in the wrong mailboxes. Make it seem like he was invited all along and you just got the invites switched around.

If a potential fib isn't a possibility for you and you have to be completely honest, I'm not sure whether to wait to see if they notice or mention it preemptively is better. I'm really not.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

^
| *like*

or you could tell them there will be a Satan worship ceremony an hour before hand and she's welcome to attend that too. There will be a sacrificial kid killed at the altar at 5pm sharp!...goat type of course. :)
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm

If it's not an only have so many kids type situation, I say just if she notices say "oops, I mixed up the names on the invites when putting them into the mailboxes!"

Hope Rooster is on good enough terms. If not, guess she's old enough to learn how to be a nice hostess even to random plus ones. ;)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby code monkey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 pm

I agree with thumper. you cannot tell Magnus's parents that he wasn't on the list but will be welcome. no matter how nicely you phrase it, and I know that you would phrase it very nicely, that still contains the message that he wasn't on the list. you must pretend that you intended to invite him all along. before the party, make certain that he and rose do not have any issues between them. if there are, you must address them. perhaps enlisting Magnus's mother's (or father's) help. if the name on the envelope is mentioned you can go into run-off-her-feet astronomer mode and reassure whomever mentions it.

now either Lincoln or elsa did not get the reminder. time for follow-up emails or telephone calls. no need to mention the mix-up. simply ask if the child will be at the party.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 am

Well, duh! I should have thought of the mixed-up invitation story!

I was able to determine that it was Lincoln's invitation that got mixed up, so I can make sure he gets a reminder. And Rooster is fine with Magnus attending, so all will be good in the 5 year old world!

Thanks for the responses.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby squ1d » Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 am

That Magnus guy, what a card.
squ1d

Postby Thumper » Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am

Better late than never.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around