Happy Earth Day

Happy Earth Day

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

We celebrated with a walk to the end of our road and back. We picked up 4 bags of trash and recycling. It's kind of amazing and a little scary how many beer bottles and cans get tossed out of car windows on our road.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Happy Earth Day

Postby geonuc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:17 pm

I went to a local festival. Bought a book on local nature.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:30 pm

As long as you didn't throw any beer bottles out of your car window, I'm cool with that. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:02 pm

First actual day of spring here (I saw crocuses! first time I can remember not seeing them until late April), so went to a nice park by Lake Ontario a few miles east with a good boardwalk for some geocaching. Had a friend who lives out there join up for part of it, found six, ended up grabbing a coffee for some book reading and people watching. Also, friend is from a birding family and informed me we saw some birds called buffleheads, which I'd never heard of before but were nice looking ducks (that were taking a break from migrating from the Atlantic to the Arctic).

So, good times! :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I consistently recycle throughout the year. It's a California thing. We even have a separate trash can for recyclable stuff. Of course, they charge me extra for it. And I am not allowed to refuse to have the extra can. :P So, I am not sure if that makes me socially conscious or not. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Amateurs. In Toronto we also do all compost materials in a third bin! Which they had issues trying to make raccoon proof, and only took the bastards two years to figure out.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm

I recycle and compost all the time. I sell aluminum and scrap steel, recycle paper, cardboard, glass, and plastic. We compost all food waste and organic materials. We usually only have one small kitchen bag of trash, the majority of which is cat poop. Most of the paper that I can't recycle or compost goes in the burn bin. Picking up the trash on our street yesterday about tripled the amount of trash we normally will put out in a week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Week after next we're planning on spending the day at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area. Apparently it's some of the best birding in Ohio, and mid May is the peek of migration.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 pm

Very cool! I always feel like birding is one of those things I should get really into, because I'm a fan of geeky things and nature and travel, but just never really got me interested. I could get why my friend was so interested in spotting a new migratory bird, but the idea of going out and just looking for them is... less interesting I guess?
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 am

Rommie wrote:Very cool! I always feel like birding is one of those things I should get really into, because I'm a fan of geeky things and nature and travel, but just never really got me interested. I could get why my friend was so interested in spotting a new migratory bird, but the idea of going out and just looking for them is... less interesting I guess?
I used to have a co-worker who would plan their vacations on the possibility of seeing a certain bird and adding it to their life list. I'm nowhere near that dedicated. But I've heard the marsh is a really great place to visit for many reasons.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Rommie wrote:Very cool! I always feel like birding is one of those things I should get really into, because I'm a fan of geeky things and nature and travel, but just never really got me interested. I could get why my friend was so interested in spotting a new migratory bird, but the idea of going out and just looking for them is... less interesting I guess?

I'm like that too, and working in a natural history museum I have a lot of friends* who are birders. And them one of them once told me that they just don't get my interest in space....so, to each his own, right? Have passion for what you will, and respect differing passions of others.

*instinctively wrote friends, thought of changing it to colleagues, but no, they really are for the most part my friends too.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around