City Inspections

City Inspections

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:03 pm

I just had the water line to my house replaced which required a permit to hook up to the city's meter. Fair enough. But when I went to the city to get the permit, they informed me there was an outstanding inspection due on the gas fireplace installation from over five years ago (before we owned the house) and that I'd have to renew that permit, too. Also fair enough but it got me to thinking - why hadn't the city taken some sort of enforcement action against the property? Put a lien on it maybe.

When the inspector arrived - a thoroughly delightful woman - I asked her. Seems the city has absolutely no interest in enforcement, which is odd for something like gas line installations because they could literally cause the neighborhood to burn down if not down correctly. She said, and I quote, "If the city placed liens on expired inspections, the city would own half the city".

Just another unusual aspect of this city, especially since they require permit/inspections for virtually all home construction/remodeling. You want to replace that ugly light fixture with the nicer one you bought at Lowe's? You need a electrical permit/inspection. Literally the only electrical thing it seems you can do without a permit is change light bulbs. Obviously, I see a criminal future for myself. I've already ripped out an electric wall heater and used the circuit to gain a 20A outlet in the garage.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: City Inspections

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 am

geonuc wrote: Obviously, I see a criminal future for myself. I've already ripped out an electric wall heater and used the circuit to gain a 20A outlet in the garage.

Do you need a gat? Or are you planning on being more like Robin Hood? :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote: Obviously, I see a criminal future for myself. I've already ripped out an electric wall heater and used the circuit to gain a 20A outlet in the garage.

Do you need a gat? Or are you planning on being more like Robin Hood? :P

I am sufficiently armed for planned criminal enterprises. :ak:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm

I suspect that the original intent was a zeal for public safety. My guess is that as time went by people in city hall realized that strict enforcement would cause a rebellion.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Hanging Around