Notre Dame

Notre Dame

Postby Rommie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm

I definitely shed a few tears when I watched the fire engulf the roof today (and it's still burning now, but finally stopped watching). What a day. It makes me think how we really live on a bad timeline. :(
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Notre Dame

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 am

I heard they have saved the main structure. If so, they will rebuild it. I hope. :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

It's god's will...
Watching the spire burn and topple was surreal. I heard they had groups of people trying to rescue some of the art and valuables before it got too dangerous. I guess they think they might have saved enough to rebuild?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Well they saved the main structure, and it's amazing how little damage there was in the main section given what the fire looked like via drone. So way better than what was hoped for at some stages, like when the fire went into the north tower.

Also, holy fuck but there's a lot of cynical people in the world, and just because you're not sad about something doesn't mean others don't have a right to. I saw a bunch of posts on the lines of "if only Europe cared about migrants as much as they do about old buildings/ the Catholic Church did all these terrible things so I'm glad to see it burn" etc. I imagine these people are the sort who grab the mic to say terrible things about the deceased at funerals.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 am

Rommie wrote:Well they saved the main structure, and it's amazing how little damage there was in the main section given what the fire looked like via drone. So way better than what was hoped for at some stages, like when the fire went into the north tower.

Also, holy fuck but there's a lot of cynical people in the world, and just because you're not sad about something doesn't mean others don't have a right to. I saw a bunch of posts on the lines of "if only Europe cared about migrants as much as they do about old buildings/ the Catholic Church did all these terrible things so I'm glad to see it burn" etc. I imagine these people are the sort who grab the mic to say terrible things about the deceased at funerals.

Yep. :scream:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Rommie wrote:Also, holy fuck but there's a lot of cynical people in the world, and just because you're not sad about something doesn't mean others don't have a right to. I saw a bunch of posts on the lines of "if only Europe cared about migrants as much as they do about old buildings/ the Catholic Church did all these terrible things so I'm glad to see it burn" etc. I imagine these people are the sort who grab the mic to say terrible things about the deceased at funerals.

People are assholes.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Rommie wrote:Well they saved the main structure, and it's amazing how little damage there was in the main section given what the fire looked like via drone. So way better than what was hoped for at some stages, like when the fire went into the north tower.

Here's a little more balanced article with some figures and perspective about values and what causes we choose to contribute to.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Wow, thanks. I really enjoyed that, it was a well written article.

I do think it's interesting to note that as we worry about the increasing disparity between the rich and poor, the cathedral was definitely built in a time emblematic of such divides as well. Think I'm going to mull over potential parallels there a bit today now.
Rommie

Return to Hanging Around