NHL Playoffs

NHL Playoffs

Postby Parrothead » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:29 am

Epic fail by the Leafs losing Game 7 to the Bruins in the firts round.

Conference Finals underway. I'm hoping for a Chicago vs Boston Final, though whichever teams do advance to the Cup Final will be well deserving. I'm going with Chicago taking the Western Conference Final in 6 games over L.A. Chicago won Game 1 this afternoon/evening. My other pick Boston over Pittsburgh in 7. They are currently 5 minutes into the first period of Game 1.

My favourite series so far of these playoffs, L.A. vs St. Louis first round.
Parrothead

Re: NHL Playoffs

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:41 am

So I avoid all these sports related threads, because I don't care about sports. But having you pop in and create one of these threads makes it feel more like FWIS. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 am

Go Pens! I mean c'mon, does anyone really like Boston anyway? (That question applies in any sport.)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby norm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Once the Rangers lost I stopped paying attention. To be honest, I wasn't really paying attention even before they lost.
When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.
norm

Postby Parrothead » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm

LOL! The Boston vs Pittsburgh game was entertaining. Pittsburgh went physically at Boston, but ended up not playing so well, though they did have some good scoring chances. Matt Cooke got tossed for a hit from behind on Adam McQuaid. Same could be argued that Marchand should have been tossed later for a hit/push from behind on Neal.

How off their game did Boston force Pittsburgh: Malkin gets into a skirmish with Bergeron at the end of the second period, while Crosby takes a few shots at Rask and then starts jawing, pushing Chara. I give Crosby credit for going at Chara, but does he really want to go there? Methinks he was just trying to goad the Bruins' giant into taking a foolish penalty.

Boston won the game 2-0.

Game 2 in the Chicago - L.A. series goes this evening.

I'm still enjoying the playoffs eventhough the Leafs blew a 4-1 lead in the third period of Game 7 against the Bruins, losing in OT, back in the first round.

The four remaining teams are recent past Stanley Cup winners: Pittsburgh '09, Chicago '10, Boston '11 and L.A. are the defending Cup champs.

I believe ice hockey is Canada's unofficial religion. ;)
Parrothead

Postby norm » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am

I watched tons of hockey when I was in college, mostly because it was the only sport that anyone cared about at my school.
When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.
norm

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

Hell I can't believe it's been since 2009 that the Pens last won. But hey per that rotation that means it's our turn to win, right? :geek:
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:48 am

Parrot, I'm glad you're back and all. But need I remind you that hockey season ended exactly 37 days ago. Why are you still talking about it? :lol:
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby cid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Thumper wrote:Parrot, I'm glad you're back and all. But need I remind you that hockey season ended exactly 37 days ago. Why are you still talking about it? :lol:

Ended? Hell, I didn't even know (or care) that it'd started... :ugeek:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

cid wrote:
Thumper wrote:Parrot, I'm glad you're back and all. But need I remind you that hockey season ended exactly 37 days ago. Why are you still talking about it? :lol:

Don't you guys still have the Bombers over there?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby cid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Thumper wrote:
cid wrote:

Don't you guys still have the Bombers over there?

We have a hockey team? :?
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Thumper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am

Looks like not.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Penguins got blown away last night. Lose 6-1. Vokoun allowed 4 goals on 12 shots. He was pulled, Fleury goes in. Pens score with 23 seconds left in the first. Bruins answer with a goal 14 seconds later.

Pittsburgh seems to be suffering from the same ailment as Vancouver in the first round, top players are MIA and they can't get any flow going. If this keeps up, the series will be over in no time.

The Western Conference final switches to L.A. tonight, the Kings hoping to keep their win-at-home streak going. It'll be much needed, as they are down 2-0 in their series, with the Blackhawks.

Thumper: Yeah, yeah, hockey season ended, but that was the regular season, this be that thing called the playoffs. :P It ends when one team raises the Stanley Cup.
Parrothead

Postby brite » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Bleh... the Sabres were knocked out of the race the moment they thought about blowing the ice booms...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Hap » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm

brite wrote:...blowing the ice booms...

Is that a euphemism?
Hap

Postby brite » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Only in YOUR dirty mind...

But then... a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste....
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 am

brite wrote:Only in YOUR dirty mind...

But then... a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste....

No danger of that happening here at FWIS. :twisted:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am

Parrothead wrote:Thumper: Yeah, yeah, hockey season ended, but that was the regular season, this be that thing called the playoffs. :P It ends when one team raises the Stanley Cup.
I feel like I'm reading one of those tech threads with Sigma, Squid, and GJ. "Playoffs?" Is that some kind of weird acronym or job jargon for "golf?" That's what all the Jackets are doing right now. :lol:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:16 pm

The Bruins can sweep the Penguins with a win tonight. The third game of the series was the best, so far. The Penguins actually showed up and made a game of it. Bruins won Game 3, 2-1, Bergeron scoring the game winner 15 minutes into the second overtime period. I love sudden death hockey!

Chicago took a 3-1 series lead with a win in L.A. last night. The Chicago win ended L.A.'s at home winning streak at 15 games.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:16 pm

The sweep is complete. The Bruins dominated the Pens in their series, outscoring them 12-2 over the four games. Rask had two shut-outs. Pittsburgh will have some off-season decisions to make. Eventhough they were swept, Vokoun did a great job between the pipes for the Pens. It looked like Crosby may have hit his head on the ice, after a hit last night. Commentators were speculating on the possibility of slight concussion issues.

I'm now hoping Chicago takes the Western Conference and sets up the first Stanley Cup Final between these two "original six" teams. Chicago can wrap up the series against L.A. tonight.
Parrothead

Postby Rommie » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:42 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 pm

The Cup Final gets underway tomorrow night. It'll be the first "original six" final since 1979. Hard to judge how the two teams will match-up as they didn't meet during the shortened season. Chicago has an awesome defense but the Bruins have multiple lines to go at them with. Both netminders have been playing well.

I'm just going to say Bruins in six.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:13 am

Two games down and what a series this is. The games were split, Chicago winning Game 1 in 3OT and Boston winning Game 2 in OT. Two evenly matched teams and games being decided in sudden-death OT. Gotta love it! :D

Shoot-outs are okay for deciding reg. season games, after what is usually 5 minutes of cautious OT play. I love the mix of going all out and cautious play that comes with sudden-death OT, that can extend multiple periods beyond regulation time.

I hope the rest of this series is exciting as the first two games. :D :D :wave:
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Series tied at 2 games apiece. Last night's was the strangest game, yet. It had a bit of everything and went to OT. Chicago won it 6-5. Teams get an extra day off, next game is Saturday. :D
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am

So will hockey be over before the 4th of July? At least we finally got basketball finished up. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Next

Return to Hanging Around