Celebritations...

Celebritations...

Postby cid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Out here at the radio station, just catchin' up on things and composing a loooooooooooong email...a couple other guys are
playing serious radio (the 28 mHz ham band is screaming, and is open to the other side of the world with minimum effort).
For a few minutes they just put out non-specific general calls to see who was out there and wanted to talk.
W6OBB returned and a short conversation ensued.
One of the guys looked up the call and exclaimed mightily, then asked me if I knew who it was.
The call was familiar, but I couldn't put a name to it.
Got to exchange a couple of quick pleasantries with him though, as we all took a turn.

W6OBB? That's Art Bell, of Coast-To-Coast AM late nite radio fame...

Off-road racing champions, radio personalities, astronomometers...yeah, I get to rub metaphysical shoulders with some
cool people now'n'then... :ugeek:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: Celebritations...

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:30 am

Had no idea who the hell Art Bell is/was.
So I looked it up...turns out its a guy...
http://hamfanzrants.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... -even.html

Guess not every one like the guy. LOL
FZR1KG

Postby cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:11 am

For those of us who listen to late night talk radio (and especially like to laugh at/be enraged by
all the woo woos out there), Art Bell is the man. Now retired, but still a consultant and occasional
stand-in host, Coast-To-Coast AM is still the place for those who think the paranormal is completely normal.

Here's an article that's just a tad more factual and less vitriolic...
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 am

When I read that link I posted I just had to put it here.
There's someone who needs a chill pill. LOL
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:01 am

Hahaha that's quite funny- I knew he was a Ham but didn't know he still did it.

And in CiD's defense I do actually know who he is- used to be a night owl of course (still am), obsessed with trying to snag faraway AM radio stations in the middle of the night, and C2C is pretty much the only thing on at that hour (on virtually every station). Sometimes they actually have interesting, legit scientists on too.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby cid » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:00 am

Ah, another late night AM DXer...blew me away the first time I heard the Bad Astronomer as a guest on C2C...used to be, before
that I thought it was woowoos only...

Lessee here...the buttons for AM on the car radio are set for late night long hauls...

700 WLW Cincinnati (talk), 740 CFZM Toronto (oldies), 750 WSB Atlanta (talk), 780 WBBM Chicago (news), 1290 WHIO (talk) and 1410 WING (ESPN sports) Dayton.

And ya better believe I do a lot of tuning around just to see what's out there to keep me awake at 3 ayem or so out on The Great
Amurrican Highway...
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Return to Hanging Around