Super Bowl?

Super Bowl?

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:33 am

Wait, wait, wait... they actually read the Declaration of Independence before every Super Bowl? Like, really? Actually? That's a thing?

This isn't XOF...
The Supreme Canuck

Re: Super Bowl?

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 am

I'm more amazed they didn't get arrested for doing it. People have been in the past.
FZR1KG

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 am

Wait what? That cannot be real. It CANNOT. I refuse to believe it...
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:30 am

Which?
Reading the declaration at the superbowl or people getting arrested for reading the declaration?
FZR1KG

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 am

The former. The latter, sadly, is something I know to be genuine.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:01 am

Isn't the Declaration thing an official part of the show? I only read about it and details are kind of scarce.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:50 am

Don't ask me. I'm still confused why a game that involves mainly holding the ball with your hands is called football?
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am

FZR1KG wrote:Don't ask me. I'm still confused why a game that involves mainly holding the ball with your hands is called football?

Rugby with pads, Z...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:46 am

Real men don't wear pads. lol
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 am

All I know is that the Seahawks won for the first time ever. :cheer:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Pretty sure they never did that when I used to watch the thing (it's been a few years- not interested in staying up until 5am when I have to work the next day and I have no team in it).

Plus this way I just have my sister message me the good commercials I should look up on YouTube later. ;)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:All I know is that the Seahawks won for the first time ever. :cheer:
That was a grade A @ss whoopin'. I think the only other championship Seattle has ever had was the SuperSonics back in the '70s? I'd be happier for the Hawks if Pete Carroll wasn't such a complete d|ck.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:All I know is that the Seahawks won for the first time ever. :cheer:
That was a grade A @ss whoopin'. I think the only other championship Seattle has ever had was the SuperSonics back in the '70s? I'd be happier for the Hawks if Pete Carroll wasn't such a complete d|ck.

No, Seattle was up against the Steelers in... 2006? Steelers won though. 8-)
Rommie

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:20 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:Wait, wait, wait... they actually read the Declaration of Independence before every Super Bowl? Like, really? Actually? That's a thing?

This isn't XOF...

Wait, when did that happen? I didn't tune in till around the coin toss and wasn't paying close attention till the kickoff (the ref made a nice save when Broadway Joe blew the coin toss)

Rommie wrote:
Thumper wrote:

No, Seattle was up against the Steelers in... 2006? Steelers won though. 8-)

That's my understanding - first time they've won since the SuperSonics.

Overall, a fairly boring game and I can't say there were any really great commercials either, though I didn't see every single one.

Around the start of the 4th quarter I started flipping among the game, the Puppy Bowl, and ST:NG reruns on BBC-America.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Seahawks lost to the Steelers in '05. I believe that was their only other SB appearance. Broadway Joe in his fur coat screwed up the coin toss. But at least he didn't slur and try to kiss anyone. I believe Seattle scored every way imaginable except a 2 point conversion. And Denver did that.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Swift wrote:Wait, when did that happen? I didn't tune in till around the coin toss and wasn't paying close attention till the kickoff (the ref made a nice save when Broadway Joe blew the coin toss)

Here you go.

Think I've figured it out: Fox does it. Because of course they do - it's Fox. But since Fox is the only network with the broadcast rights in the US, that means the Declaration is a "Super Bowl thing" rather than just a "Fox thing." Because if you're watching the game in the US, you're watching Fox. And therefore you're watching them read the Declaration.

Evidently they started doing it for the first Super Bowl after 9/11. And they're trying to make it a "traditional" thing that goes along with the game. They're literally trying to force their version of patriotism into broader American culture and sport.

As I said: Fox. Because of course they do.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Thumper wrote: Broadway Joe in his fur coat screwed up the coin toss. But at least he didn't slur and try to kiss anyone. I believe Seattle scored every way imaginable except a 2 point conversion. And Denver did that.

I give the Ref credit for a very nice save there, and a very nice catch of the coin in mid-flight.

1969 - 1970 was my "year" as a kid growing up in NY, because the Mets, the Jets, and the Knicks all won their championships. Broadway Joe will always be a hero because of that.

There was actually a nice segment with him that morning on CBS Sunday Morning. He says he's gotten back on the wagon since that kissing incident (they did show it).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:Evidently they started doing it for the first Super Bowl after 9/11. And they're trying to make it a "traditional" thing that goes along with the game. They're literally trying to force their version of patriotism into broader American culture and sport.

Because Rupert Murdoch is just the iconic American patriot. :roll:
Last edited by FZR1KG on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 pm

I must have missed the Dec of Ind thing. Dang, how unAmerican of me.

I'd just as soon we lose all the patriotic crap from these sporting events. Flags, military, all of it. Legacy of 911, I suppose.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 am

The Supreme Canuck wrote:
Swift wrote:Wait, when did that happen? I didn't tune in till around the coin toss and wasn't paying close attention till the kickoff (the ref made a nice save when Broadway Joe blew the coin toss)

Here you go.

Think I've figured it out: Fox does it. Because of course they do - it's Fox. But since Fox is the only network with the broadcast rights in the US, that means the Declaration is a "Super Bowl thing" rather than just a "Fox thing." Because if you're watching the game in the US, you're watching Fox. And therefore you're watching them read the Declaration.

Evidently they started doing it for the first Super Bowl after 9/11. And they're trying to make it a "traditional" thing that goes along with the game. They're literally trying to force their version of patriotism into broader American culture and sport.

Except it isn't one network every year, it changes every few years because it's such a ratings bonanza for whichever network hosts it. IRC it's Fox, NBC, then CBS in the rotation, so Fox only gets to do this every three years.

Also explains why I've never noticed it.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Swift wrote:1969 - 1970 was my "year" as a kid growing up in NY, because the Mets, the Jets, and the Knicks all won their championships. Broadway Joe will always be a hero because of that.
I was a big Mets fan, but I was a little bit later, the Tom Seaver era. Sorry for bashing your hero.
(But that coat. :o )
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:1969 - 1970 was my "year" as a kid growing up in NY, because the Mets, the Jets, and the Knicks all won their championships. Broadway Joe will always be a hero because of that.
I was a big Mets fan, but I was a little bit later, the Tom Seaver era. Sorry for bashing your hero.
(But that coat. :o )

I'm more a baseball than football fan. I loved Tommy Terrific.

Actually, I thought the coat was funny, because he was know for wearing pimp coats like that back in the day. Talk about old school.

Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Some words on the Coca-Cola Ad.

People who are arguing "they need to speak English" are missing a big part of the story. Yes, they should learn English to be a contributing member of society. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE TO STOP SPEAKING THEIR FIRST LANGUAGE ALTOGETHER! Talk about intolerance.

Coca-Cola knew their commercial would spark this controversy, and kudos to them for making it.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Rommie wrote:
Except it isn't one network every year, it changes every few years because it's such a ratings bonanza for whichever network hosts it. IRC it's Fox, NBC, then CBS in the rotation, so Fox only gets to do this every three years.

Also explains why I've never noticed it.

Hm. Well, I've never actually watched the Super Bowl, so I'm going off the surprisingly light information I can find online. If that's the case, then I've no bloody idea.

As to the Coke commercial, it just baffles me. I live in a country that was founded on very different notions - multiculturalism, not melting pot. Totally different political and cultural norms. I can't even fathom why people would complain. Seems to me people should be happy that folks from around the world would want to sing a song celebrating the US in heir own language.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:As to the Coke commercial, it just baffles me. I live in a country that was founded on very different notions - multiculturalism, not melting pot. Totally different political and cultural norms. I can't even fathom why people would complain. Seems to me people should be happy that folks from around the world would want to sing a song celebrating the US in heir own language.

I'm not sure I would agree that the US was founded on a notion of "the melting pot" and that such a notion rejects immigrants retaining their cultural heritage and language.

Actually, for much of the history of the US, neither "melting pot" nor multicultralism was a word/expression.

The US was very much a nation of immigrants from its earliest history. And there has always been the tension that develops as the latest immigrants are incorporated into (and modify, and get modified by) our culture. It is a story of resistance and intolerance and acceptance and inclusion.

I personally much prefer the "salad" or "stew" analogy for our immigrant culture.

And I really liked the Coke commercial and I knew it would piss some people (Fox News) off.

I also noted that there were a couple of more Cheerios commercials with the interracial couple and their very cute daughter. Why the heck that's controversial, I don't know (other than the standard answer of "idiots"). I hope that pissed some people off too.

Swift

Next

Return to Hanging Around