England flooding

England flooding

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 pm

FZR1KG

Re: England flooding

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Yep, pretty awful stuff- it's rather major news on this side of the pond. Also lots of controversy because lots more attention and funding is going to the richer areas and all that; I've heard the phase "Cameron's Katrina" tossed around.

To give you an idea of how awful funding is btw, I have a British colleague here whose brother is in charge of coastal defenses in their areas, and he had to go to London a few days ago to insist he get sent money. Basically the government wasn't paying the checks, so he has 12 hours before which he'd have to legally tell the workers to go home as he couldn't pay them. Seriously, WTF.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm

More funding going to the richer areas, iow more privileged people?
I find it fascinating that many people are complaining at this. It's been happening since we found caves to dwell in and probably before that.
Sucks about your friends brother. :(
Doesn't that sort of thing happen in the US too?
I've been hearing about defense forces not being paid a number of times.
Pretty sure the politicians always get to take their pay, even if the country was collapsing they would make sure they get paid for the fine job they did running it.
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Something's happening outside the borders of the US and it isn't the Olympics?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 pm

FZR1KG wrote:More funding going to the richer areas, iow more privileged people?
I find it fascinating that many people are complaining at this. It's been happening since we found caves to dwell in and probably before that.
Sucks about your friends brother. :(
Doesn't that sort of thing happen in the US too?
I've been hearing about defense forces not being paid a number of times.
Pretty sure the politicians always get to take their pay, even if the country was collapsing they would make sure they get paid for the fine job they did running it.

Well it's the Brits, who in my experience like to believe they're egalitarian. Even though they're not, mind, and in my experience worry more about class and status than many other countries. (I mean for all the complaining one can do about the US these days, we don't immediately dismiss people for consideration for a professorship based on their northern accent- which can and does happen there.)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Hanging Around