Migrant Crisis

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Migrant Crisis

Postby Rommie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Budapest Keleti train station shut down because of migrants

This is the same train station that I have passed through dozens of times while catching the train from Budapest to visit my grandmother. My mom is scheduled to go through there Thursday afternoon (and me next weekend!) and she's more than a little scared at the prospect- and I'm not blaming her looking at that.

I mean geez, I know Hungary has been more right wing than I'd care for politically these days, but the situation right now there is insane. It would try even a nation even more welcoming to migrants. Europe has really gotta step up and figure something out.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Migrant Crisis

Postby Thumper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Alot of countries need to figure things out. But it certainly appears things are going to get worse long before they ever get better.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Yeah, there are a hell of a lot of people fleeing into Europe right now. Not sure how I'd deal with it if I were a European leader.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:24 am

Heard this morning that migrants are basically camping out at the station. Some trains are leaving. But it still sounds like a complete mess.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Yeah, basically they opened the station today but there are no trains to Austria/Germany. So a bunch of migrants got on a local train they figured was heading west enough that they could then walk to the border, but instead they got pulled up to a platform with police officers on it. So now there's a standoff in a Hungarian field between migrants and police officers.

Really some WTF on European policy going on- I mean trust me, Hungarians really don't want these guys there, but can't let them through per EU law. (This entire standoff thing started Monday when the Austrian PM criticized the Hungarians for just letting though the migrants without registering them.)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:58 pm

There will probably be a big tightening of national borders. Which means the EU may be going through some rough(er) times soon. :o
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a mention somewhere about americans wanting to move to Canada because Obama was looking at taking in 10,000 refugees by the end of next year. (I have to wonder if this is similar to people talking about moving to Canada, if W. got re-elected all those years ago). Uhm, the newly elected Liberal gov't here has pledged to take in 25,000 refugees by the end of this year. By the looks of it, the gov't is planning on accepting women, children or families, but not single males. This would be from accounts I heard, the gov't is slated to release more information today. In some areas soldiers are being transferred from barracks, so they can be used to temporarily house syrian refugees.

Most of us canucks don't mind the refugees being re-located, we just want assurances the gov't is doing the upmost to screen on a security and health basis. In the given timeline, these are legit questions to be asked. As a starting point, it is likely that we will be accepting refugees that have already been vetted at UN run camps, with further interviews/checks being run before they get brought here.
Parrothead

Postby brite » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:55 am

Sounds like a pretty good plan... beats the hell out of all the running around and setting fire of the hair that’s been going on around here... Of course, setting fire to Trump’s hair might be interesting....
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby vendic » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 am

Good thing this is a European problem that they started and they have to deal with so the USA which had nothing to do with this can sit back and relax with a clear conscience.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Poli-Tics