Clinton's health, blah blah blah etc.

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Clinton's health, blah blah blah etc.

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm weirded out by how fixated the newspaper's are on Clinton's health today, after this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... memoration

a) It's 80 degrees and humid, and she's 70 years old and wearing a full suit.
b) Presidential candidates aren't immune to the flu by fiat.
c) She has chronic hypothyroidism, which I can personally tell you plays hell with heat/cold tolerance, often in spite of "normal" thyroid levels.
d) Incidentally, that last item is known because doctors examined her last summer after the blood clot incident. And they gave her a clean bill of health.

I also can't help but point out: Clinton is old. Trump is old, overweight, gluttonous, and talks like he's on drugs every time he opens his mouth.

And, if it comes to that: Time Kaine literally calls himself boring. Mike Pence is an ambitious religious fanatic with a gay sex fixation.

Come on, people. Recall the 2008 election? All the comments from Democrats about McCain's droopy eyelid? Well guess what, McCain is still around (even if he's sold most of his principles).
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Clinton's health, blah blah blah etc.

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 am

Well, actually they were on to something, because she has pneumonia. Seriously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ge%2Fstory

Fucking hell.

(Hey God, is that you at work there? Are you, like, trying to destroy my country for its hubris or something? You're scarin' me, man.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:37 am

Much as I don't like the woman (though I'm going to vote for her), I don't want her to die. However, I am curious how the election would work if she did die... does anyone here know?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 am

SciFi Chick wrote:Much as I don't like the woman (though I'm going to vote for her), I don't want her to die. However, I am curious how the election would work if she did die... does anyone here know?

http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/20431

It is a very detailed article, but I think this is the key bit:
Since the time of Andrew Jackson's run for the presidency in 1828, individual political parties have had the job of filling any vacancy on their national ticket, either that of their presidential or vice-presidential candidate. If one of their candidates vacates the ticket after they are nominated, either because of death or withdrawal, the party selects a replacement.

Both the Republican and the Democratic parties have rules in their bylaws governing how to fill the vacancy. The Party Chair calls a meeting of the National Committee, and the Committee members at the meeting vote to fill the vacancy on the ticket. A candidate must receive a majority of the votes to win the party's nod.

The same process would happen if the vacancy were to occur after the general election but before the Electoral College voting. If a vacancy should occur on the winning ticket, it would then be the party's responsibility to fill it and provide a candidate for whom their electors could vote.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 am

I think it's basically because it's a slow news day, happened in public, and there haven't been many vulnerabilities to pounce on. I mean, I can totally understand why you'd risk going to the 9/11 memorial even if quite ill- how could you not as a presidential candidate?- but I already know I'm going to be dead tired hearing about this.

Like seriously. I am probably hyper sensitive to this stuff right now, but so far in my life I remember George W Bush fainting when he choked on a pretzel, Bob Dole falling off the stage, and elder Bush throwing up on the Japanese PM. There are probably a few others I can't remember. I can 100% guarantee you right now that you're going to hear about this far more than those combined, for years even if Hillary gets elected, and the double standard pisses me off. In that "we can't attack her on policy, so let's pretend she's weaker than that other 70 year old candidate" kind of way.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Rommie wrote:I think it's basically because it's a slow news day, happened in public, and there haven't been many vulnerabilities to pounce on. I mean, I can totally understand why you'd risk going to the 9/11 memorial even if quite ill- how could you not as a presidential candidate?- but I already know I'm going to be dead tired hearing about this.

Like seriously. I am probably hyper sensitive to this stuff right now, but so far in my life I remember George W Bush fainting when he choked on a pretzel, Bob Dole falling off the stage, and elder Bush throwing up on the Japanese PM. There are probably a few others I can't remember. I can 100% guarantee you right now that you're going to hear about this far more than those combined, for years even if Hillary gets elected, and the double standard pisses me off. In that "we can't attack her on policy, so let's pretend she's weaker than that other 70 year old candidate" kind of way.

I know! :scream: But also, I hope that's all we have to put up with. Pneumonia, at her age, is nothing to ignore. Luckily, she will receive the best care because of her status, so again, I hope what you fear is the worst case scenario.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Swift wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:Much as I don't like the woman (though I'm going to vote for her), I don't want her to die. However, I am curious how the election would work if she did die... does anyone here know?

http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/20431

It is a very detailed article, but I think this is the key bit:
Since the time of Andrew Jackson's run for the presidency in 1828, individual political parties have had the job of filling any vacancy on their national ticket, either that of their presidential or vice-presidential candidate. If one of their candidates vacates the ticket after they are nominated, either because of death or withdrawal, the party selects a replacement.

Both the Republican and the Democratic parties have rules in their bylaws governing how to fill the vacancy. The Party Chair calls a meeting of the National Committee, and the Committee members at the meeting vote to fill the vacancy on the ticket. A candidate must receive a majority of the votes to win the party's nod.

The same process would happen if the vacancy were to occur after the general election but before the Electoral College voting. If a vacancy should occur on the winning ticket, it would then be the party's responsibility to fill it and provide a candidate for whom their electors could vote.

Thank you. That answered my question exactly.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:48 pm

P.S. - My mom and Hillary Clinton are close to the same age. I never wanted to think 70 (my mom's age) was that old. It is. I truly hope both my mom and Hillary have decades ahead of them, and I am inspired to get much fitter before I reach that age, because it makes a difference. Also, hoping I reach that age at all. Knock on wood.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:29 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:P.S. - My mom and Hillary Clinton are close to the same age. I never wanted to think 70 (my mom's age) was that old. It is. I truly hope both my mom and Hillary have decades ahead of them, and I am inspired to get much fitter before I reach that age, because it makes a difference. Also, hoping I reach that age at all. Knock on wood.

I'm the same way. My mom is 73 now, and she started seeming to get old to me around 70. But her parents both lived into their 90s.... I guess since I always knew them as "old" it didn't seem like a big deal.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:09 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:P.S. - My mom and Hillary Clinton are close to the same age. I never wanted to think 70 (my mom's age) was that old. It is. I truly hope both my mom and Hillary have decades ahead of them, and I am inspired to get much fitter before I reach that age, because it makes a difference. Also, hoping I reach that age at all. Knock on wood.

We only need Hilary to last for 4.5 years. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:We only need Hilary to last for 4.5 years. ;)

Unless you like who she picked for VP. :twisted:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Poli-Tics