2A rights and racism

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

2A rights and racism

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Many other people have noted this, but I don't think anyone has here, so I might as well:

So far this year, there have been several cases where Black people were preemptively shot by police, for maybe possibly carrying a gun, in states that allow concealed carry. Regardless of what one thinks about firearms, that's 2A material. "My husband got shot for legally carrying a licensed firearm" is the kind of thing the NRA should be shouting from the rooftops about. But all we got was some incredibly weak-ass weaseling in the Philando Castile case, and I haven't seen jack shit about the more recent ones.

I know the NRA is not exactly popular here, but that should be food for thought.

Likewise, I think a lot of 2A stuff is subtly racially coded. I never see current 2A advocates talking about the right of Black Americans to bear arms, so that they can defend themselves from predatory white supremacists, or from persecution by state and federal govt. people. (Plenty of talk about Christians doing the latter though, even though govt. persecution of Christians for being Christian basically doesn't happen.)

But I do see a lot of talk about people defending themselves from would-be armed robbers, rapists, etc. And the US has this thing where Blacks are assumed to be criminal, and to prey on whites (despite lots of statistical evidence to the contrary). So one starts to wonder about the color of the supposed assailants' skin, in such hypothetical scenarios.

... But yeah. Point is: if you're going to be a 2A advocate, you need to give credence to armed Black resistance against white supremacist violence, otherwise you're basically being a hypocrite. If you're going to talk about standing up to The Man, watering the tree of life with the blood of tyrants, etc., you have to admit that the Black Panther Party was doing basically that, even if you're not in agreement with them.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: 2A rights and racism

Postby Swift » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:26 am

Gullible Jones wrote:Point is: if you're going to be a 2A advocate, you need to give credence to armed Black resistance against white supremacist violence, otherwise you're basically being a hypocrite. If you're going to talk about standing up to The Man, watering the tree of life with the blood of tyrants, etc., you have to admit that the Black Panther Party was doing basically that, even if you're not in agreement with them.

The NRA is racist?!? :shock: I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 am

Swift wrote:The NRA is racist?!? :shock: I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

roll: :rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Oh hey, look at this. Note the part about Trump's stop-and-frisk thing that TV media don't repeat...

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... g-stop-and

“They will stop, they will frisk, and they will take the gun away, and they don’t have anything to shoot with.”

In direct violation of 2A, but only for black people.

BUT NO NO NO TRUMP SUPPORT MUST BE ALL ABOUT THE ECONOMY.

Jesus. :scream:
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Return to Poli-Tics