"Vote for Trump or we'll nuke you."

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

"Vote for Trump or we'll nuke you."

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:03 pm

^^^ What a Russian far-right party leader is saying, basically. Only a lot more direct and threatening.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/put ... li=AAggv0m

Reading around, the LDPR is not exactly "mainstream" in Russia. However, this Zhirinovsky fellow is known to be a toady for the Kremlin. Like with the Republican party and wingnuts in the US, Putin seems to use him as a proxy to spout extremist garbage; thereby looking sane in comparison, and shifting the Overton window ever further towards autocracy.

So, it may not be Putin and United Russia saying this, but it still seems... very threatening.

Oh, BTW. To give you an idea of where Zhirinovsky stands on other issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_ ... troversies

He makes Rush Limbaugh look like a bleeding-heart liberal. This is apparently quite normal in Russian politics.

(Also: he hates women, Eastern Europeans, journalists, and Jews... even though his father was a Polish Jew named Eidelshtein. Fascist bingo!)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: "Vote for Trump or we'll nuke you."

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:So, it may not be Putin and United Russia saying this, but it still seems... very threatening.

Putin likes threatening. The only question is how empty or not, the threat is.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:55 pm

It all sounds very threatening, but we still have the most nukes, and I'm pretty sure Putin isn't ready to have Russia and the world destroyed.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

I don't mean to sound unconcerned, but I lived through the Cold War. I know how it works.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:59 pm

@SFC

I'd assumed pretty much the same. Putin is evil, but he does not appear to be stupid... yet.

(Note: I actually started writing "Trump" instead of "Putin" there...)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:14 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:@SFC

I'd assumed pretty much the same. Putin is evil, but he does not appear to be stupid... yet.

Ah... well that would have been a mistake as Trump actually is stupid. :P
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:07 am

SciFi Chick wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:@SFC

Ah... well that would have been a mistake as Trump actually is stupid. :P

You meant stupid and evil :twisted:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:18 am

I just refuse to believe even for a second that if it was a real threat they wanted people to listen to they'd deliver it in this manner. Or do they really think random Americans care what this guy thinks?

Didn't live through the Cold War, but did study it in school. :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Rommie wrote:I just refuse to believe even for a second that if it was a real threat they wanted people to listen to they'd deliver it in this manner. Or do they really think random Americans care what this guy thinks?

No idea, since it seems that social media has changed everything. :shock:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Rommie wrote:I just refuse to believe even for a second that if it was a real threat they wanted people to listen to they'd deliver it in this manner. Or do they really think random Americans care what this guy thinks?

No idea, since it seems that social media has changed everything. :shock:

And sadly, not necessarily for the better. I view most social media platforms as virtual lynch mobs just waiting to be pointed at their next victim. :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Cyborg Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:21 pm

@Fisher: Ah, you've noticed. :( That stuff was a problem even among the anti-GamerGate crowd. I try to avoid thinking too much about what the alt-right is doing with it.

(Though sometimes I run headlong into it anyway. Take a look at liberal journalists' Twitter feeds - the ones with Jewish-sounding names get hate-mail and threats of violence as 9/10 of their comments.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Rommie wrote:Didn't live through the Cold War, but did study it in school. :P

Oh, that's fine, kick an old man when he is duck-and-covering under his desk at school (yes, I actually did that). :P
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Return to Poli-Tics