portraiture

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

portraiture

Postby grapes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm

A writer at NPR has left a veiled opinion of the presidential portrait:
Kehinde Wiley painted Barack Obama sitting in a chair, elbows in his knees, leaning forward with an intense expression.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... it-gallery

I read that to my wife, and she said, what? he's taking a shit?
grapes
Resident News Hound

Re: portraiture

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I have to say I didn't particularly like either portrait.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I think Barack's was leagues better than Michelle's at least. I could imagine it becoming iconic just because it's so different. Hers doesn't really look like her.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 am

It's interesting how people react differently. Brite loved Michelle's picture. Obama looked so serious. Apparently his major restriction was the artist was not allowed to make him look like Napoleon. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby squ1d » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 am

I don't know who is in that painting but it's not Michelle Obama. Face looks more like the painter than the subject.
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

squ1d wrote:I don't know who is in that painting but it's not Michelle Obama. Face looks more like the painter than the subject.

I admit I look at it and can't see the Michelle Obama I expect. I don't know what art form or style to call it. Mostly, because I am not that well versed in the art world. Post modern? Impressionist? Ah.... who cares! It's art. And everyone knows that is subjective as hell.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
squ1d wrote:I don't know who is in that painting but it's not Michelle Obama. Face looks more like the painter than the subject.

I admit I look at it and can't see the Michelle Obama I expect. I don't know what art form or style to call it. Mostly, because I am not that well versed in the art world. Post modern? Impressionist? Ah.... who cares! It's art. And everyone knows that is subjective as hell.

It's not post modern or impressionist. It's portraiture, meant to be realistic. So, if the portrait doesn't look like the person, it fails.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Return to Poli-Tics