Politics up here

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Politics up here

Postby Parrothead » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:49 am

isn't always boring. Our PM went on a week long visit to India last week. At first there was fun being poked at the PM for many photo ops with the PM and family wearing traditional Indian garb. A more serious issue came up. As in other cases with our PM, it's the follow up explanations of events that cause more questions.
Parrothead

Re: Politics up here

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 am

Yeah. He seems to do better when he doesn't talk. ;)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Indeed. I’m not that into Canadian politics but damn he is the most attractive PM in history!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Many are just hoping this thing doesn't blow up into more of an international incident, over their handling of the issue of how one individual (convicted of attempted assassination of an Indian gov't minister visiting Canada in the '80's) got invited to two diplomatic functions,attending one, second invite withdrawn, getting removed from India's no-fly list, etc.

The Liberals' handling of this is a boon to the opposition. A federal election is just over a year away.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Wait, what? What exactly did Trudeau say that has people upset? I understand that his national security advisor said some things, but Trudeau seems to be walking those comments back.

Frankly, if there were a way to have Canada annex the US, I'd happily go along with it. I'll take Trudeau as a leader any day.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:32 am

My favorite thing that's happened so far in Canadian politics was just before Christmas it turned out Trudeau was found by some committee to be in violation of ethics because some billionaire was his dad's friend gave his family a vacation to a private island in the Bahamas. So Trudeau had to apologize, and then on the TV news that night where I learned all this the anchor asked the reporter what consequences Trudeau would face, and the reporter said "well there is no punishment, making him apologize is considered punishment enough."

This all actually happened. Canada is awesome.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

geonuc: Basically, it's the handling and multiple, at times conflicting, explanations to questions asked of the PM. When the issue first broke, PM answered, not enough time for every guest to be vetted. His invite for the second event was rescinded. Conservatives pointed out, it doesn't take much for vetting, especially in this case. Also stating under Harper, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO), routinely handed guest lists over to the RCMP to be vetted, beforehand. Next explanation, Trudeau responds it was the fault of B.C. MP who invited him and he will be dealt with. At this point, it should have been, "We goofed, it's dealt with." The questions then came about the no-fly list. I'll give this a pass, as apparently, it was rescinded over a year ago. After all this, as more questions are being asked, that the conspiracy theory gets floated, about factions in the Indian gov't had something to do with it. For that to be true, it gets pointed out that the B.C. MP, would have to have known about it. Indian gov't denies, the Indian PM had stated at some point during the trip, that he had mentioned to Trudeau, when they briefly met in Davos, a few weeks before the trip, that Trudeau would be asked, by the Indian Press, about gov't members appearing at events (in Canada) where Indian separatists, also appear. Trudeau's response was along the lines of freedom of expression in Canada, but the gov't backs the idea of a united India. The cdn. press points out, obviously for political purposes (votes), this view doesn't seem to be spoken of, at those events. Finally came the respected bureaucrat and the presser about conspiracies. After his press conference, the bureaucrat is no longer available. When the press asks the Cdn. Minister of Public Safety, about the comments by the bureaucrat, press is told he can't answer due to "issues of national security". Conservatives move a motion, asking for the bureaucrat to be made available to a parliamentary committee, to answer some questions. Liberal majority block the motion. It is stated, if members want to ask questions of this bureaucrat, they can ask for meeting, but those attending would be sworn to secrecy over what is stated. Since returning, Trudeau has stood in the House of Commons and stated, he stands behind what information he is given by hard working bureaucrats. It can be inferred from this that Trudeau believes the conspiracy theories. India has since raised tarriffs on some canadian imports (including chickpeas). This trip was supposed to be about improving trade and relations. ETA 2: I recall Trudeau also making a comment at somepoint be it before or during the trip, stating he has more Sikhs in his government than India. Comments like that don't help matters. Prior to this trip, his trips to signing the TPP and a trade trip to China didn't go over well either. Showing up late for a signing ceremony at TPP and coming home from China without a deal.

Rommie: Yeah, that dates back to Trudeau's family Christmas vacation, 2016/17, they visited the Aga Khan at Bell Island. He did not clear the itinerary with the Ethics Commissioner beforehand. He said, he was given advice, he didn't have to as the Aga Khan is a family friend, it was ruled Aga Khan was a friend of Trudeau's father, making that family friend claim tenuous. On the trip, PM and family were flown to Bell Island aboard the Aga Khan's private helicopter, going against gov't security protocol. The investigation took a year to complete, findings were he broke four sections of the "Conflict of Interest Act" , breaches only carry a minor monetary penalty and public apology. ETA: It also provides fodder for the opposition to question the competence of that person's decision making.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Oh no! Not chick peas.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Poli-Tics